hotel near lax?

Why not head straight for San Pedro? There are a Sheraton, Best Western and the Marina Hotel. I think all of them have shuttles to the pier. You can take a taxi or a shuttle - PrimeTime and Supershuttle. I think the shuttle is the less expensive option, a cab will run you over $50. You could also take a private car service, but if you want a cheap hotel, I'm guessing you also want a cheap way to get to the pier.

I don't know the rates of the various airport hotels, but you could research it easily enough on the Internet - I know of a Marriott (regular and a Courtyard by Marriott), Sheraton (Four Points, which is a more budget-type option), Westin, Hilton and Doubletree, all on Century Boulevard, which is the main drag going into the airport. There are more, I just can't remember what they are! If you stay over there, you would have to go back to the airport to get a shuttle to the pier.

I have to agree here...the traffic from LAX to San Pedro can be fierce and cause more anxiety than just going down to San Pedro the night before and know you're only a few minutes away from port!

Have a great time!

I agree with the others about heading to San Pedro and staying there. There's not much to do around LAX, while you'll find plenty to do across the bridge in Long Beach. However, if you want to stay near LAX, I've stayed at the Radisson twice and it is quite nice with a very good restuarant and a free shuttle to/from the airport.

Hi,

I have stayed at the Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor Hotel in San Pedro, a couple of times. It is closer to the pier than the Hilton. They have a park and sail plan where you get your hotel night, parking of your car while on a cruise, and they take you to the ship, and pick you up on the return, and bring you back to the hotel. All this for one price, and free breakfast is included, plus a bottle of champagne. The hotel itself is very nice, and in the area of the shops and restaurants that they have close by, within walking distance. There is a Maritime Museum and other interesting things to see in that area. I have never been concerned about walking around there.

The price for this whole package was quite reasonable for the two of us.

If you are interested, the address is.

Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor Hotel

601 South Palos Verdes Street

San Pedro, CA 90731

Phone (310) 519-8200

Fax (310) 519-8421

http://www.sheratonlaharbor.com/

I concur with the Sheraton LA Harbor. I have stayed there several times including about two weeks ago. Service is very good, the people are nice, and you should have no problems.

They also have a fly and sail package that runs 200 bucks (it includes ground trans from LAX only for two in the price) and in my opinion is worth the money.

I would suggest if you stay there that you request a harbor view room. Nice view and if you get up early enough, you can see the Monarch arrive.

Don

Approximately what is the distance from Long Beach Hilton to the boarding pier for RC.

I had chosen to stay in Long Beach because we wanted to go to Catalina for the day ( we are coming 2 days prior to departing on the Vision) and we were flying into Long Beach Airport.

Not any longer though...American Airlines had canceled all flights from NYC to Long Beach. So now we are flying into LAX.

It's been a while, but I would venture a guess it's about a ten to fifteen minute drive to San Pedro Harbor from Downtown Long Beach, at most. You just have to cross "Terminal Island" which can't be more than 5 miles across... and, I believe, cross the Vincent Thomas Bridge, which is a Toll Bridge that direction (or at least was last time I was there). If you're there on a weekend, I wouldn't think the traffic would be too bad. But it's been a while since I lived there.

And the last time I checked, you could catch the Catalina Express from San Pedro as well as from Long Beach. The terminal for that is supposed to be right near the World Cruise Center in the San Pedro port (actually, Los Angeles Harbor)..

Check out this link:

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/catalina.htm

sayhello

PS, I agree with everyone else. Don't give yourself the headache of trying to get from LAX to the cruise ship on your sail date. Lots of freeway with lots of traffic. Stay in San Pedro, and go straight from there to the pier. MUCH less stressful!

For the Monarch of the Seas I want to stay in San Pedro, is what I'm gathering from everyone. I'm guessing that still means I fly into LAX, right? How much should a taxi cost from LAX to one of these hotels? Or do any of them have a shuttle service from LAX? Also, Supershuttle - is that the shuttle for the cruise? Can I book that when I'm at the hotel? Thanks again!!

Approximately what is the distance from Long Beach Hilton to the boarding pier for RC.

I had chosen to stay in Long Beach because we wanted to go to Catalina for the day ( we are coming 2 days prior to departing on the Vision) and we were flying into Long Beach Airport.

Not any longer though...American Airlines had canceled all flights from NYC to Long Beach. So now we are flying into LAX.

You can actually leave for Catalina from both San Pedro and from Long Beach, depending on the type of transportation you are seeking. In addition, the Sheraton has a Catalina package that might be worth checking out.

Amy - absolutely do not stay at the hotels in LAX area... not a great area, and you;re not going to find any bargains... San Pedro or Long Beach are your best bets.

If you have not booked your air, check flights into Long Beach - that's where Jet Blue flies to.. but it's really not that hard to get to San Pedro from LAX. It's 17 miles... and a taxi should be more in the range of $35 unless you hit heavy traffic on a week day.

(I spent the last 12 years living 17 miles *north* of LAX, and the taxi was always under $40..and it was all surface streets to my house.)

Supershuttle and Primetime are your best low cost transport bets (and they are vans that take up to 8 people to the same general area). www.supershuttle.com

Good luck!

Matt

I concur. The area around LAX is just a dump! Go to one of the LB/ San Pedro hotels the others are suggesting. If you have the time/ money/ inclenation, tour the Queen Mary, go to Shoreline Village, or go to downtown Long Beach - lots of nice restaurants.

AmyRay we're arriving early too, and these anti-LAX posts are breaking my heart, because all the hotels in San Pedro are about $100/night, (the Holiday cruise "deal" is $179), but the LAX hotels are around $55-60 incl breakfast and airport shuttle, and the Days Inn South Bay LAX is $48 incl breakfast, fridge, and shuttle. Jeez it's hard to turn that down. And they're close to the action at Venice Beach.

Hey Matt and the rest, is it dumpy down Hawthorne Blvd where the Days Inn is? Thx,

-Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't know much about the hotels in the Venice area, but can give you a little info about Long Beach. Try the West Coast Long Beach Hotel. They are located right next to the Queen Mary and just a little ways from Shore Line Village and the Aquarium. This is the hotel I always recommend for price and location. We live in Long Beach, but like to stay there every now and then also. Last I checked they were less the $100.00 per night. If you are going out of Long Beach, you are very close. If out of San Pedro, still not too far.

I would be leary of any hotels costing less than $100.00 near the airport (not sure what to expect or location).

Chris

i'm looking for a cheap hotel near lax that I can stay at the night before going on the monarch of the seas. Also - how far from lax is the port for the ship? Can we taxi over there? Is there a shuttle?

We're flying in late to LAX the night before our Monarch cruise in January. I used Priceline and got the LAX Hilton for $40. I plan to use one of the shuttle services to get me to the pier. I've found a couple of shuttle services using google.

We're flying in late to LAX the night before our Monarch cruise in January. I used Priceline and got the LAX Hilton for $40. I plan to use one of the shuttle services to get me to the pier. I've found a couple of shuttle services using google.

I am flying into LAX on 12/18 and leaving on the Vision on 12/19, I got a room at the Marina in san Pedro on priceline for $50.00 from what I understand it is near the pier. I plan to get on the ship as soon as possiable and start my vacation.

Bob P.

Hey Doug and Bob P, those are NICE rates. ... Thx!

Chris thx for the Long Beach tip. We kind of wanted to stay somewhere near or north of LAX so we could easily do the boardwalks at Venice Beach and Santa Monica, and also Rodeo Drive. Marina del Ray would be close enough too. There are a ton of motels along Century Blvd in Inglewood, is this what ppl mean by the seedy area? Also wondered if the Washington Blvd area in Marina Del Ray is dumpy? Also considering the Lincoln Inn in Venice. Thx everyone.

-Bob

My two cents:

Bob7, the Days Inn on Hawthorne isn't isn't really near LAX, in spite of its description as an "LAX" location. And the one on Manchester is right by the San Diego Freeway, which sounds convenient, but would be noisy & just plain gross, IMHO. Not the way I would choose to spend the night before a cruise. Inglewood is a blue-collar town, some ok areas, lots of crime in others, and I really would advise against staying there if you're thinking of strolling around in the evening.

If you're going to stay at a hotel on Century (which is where most of the airport hotels are), stay west of the freeway. There are nice hotels, just not much to do without a car to get you to the beach (Manhattan Beach, which is a lot nicer than Venice, is only about 10 minutes from LAX). Also, remember that LA is an incredibly sprawling & congested place. The odds of doing Venice Beach & Rodeo Drive aren't very good unless you're renting a car & plan to get to the pier late in the day.

Marina del Rey itself is very nice (there's a Ritz Carlton and a Marriott or Courtyard by Marriott there). Washington Blvd isn't the greatest, but it depends on what part - in LA, the neighborhoods can change block by block.

I would still say stay in Long Beach or San Pedro if you're coming in the night before. If you have a ocuple of days, try looking on Tripadvisor.com for places to stay in Manhattan or Redondo Beach.

Hey Jean, that's perfect, just what we wanted to know, thx! We arrive in LAX Friday at 1pm, so we might have some afternoon time to do something. We'll rent a car, so on Sat we were hoping to do Rodeo Drive in the a.m., and Venice Beach & Santa Monica in the afternoon, is that do-able? Might be better to get a tour of Rodeo and skip the driving.

Do you have any cool ideas for dinner around the LAX area?

-Bob

Bob7, does your cruise leave on Saturday or Sunday? If it's Saturday, I think doing Rodeo Drive and Venice/Santa Monica is too ambitious. Saturday traffic can be a complete nightmare, plus you have to drop off your rental car, which will add some time (I understand that Enterprise has something in San Pedro or Long Beach & will give you a ride to the pier, you might want to check that out). But if you're leaving on Sunday, you'll have lots of time. Rodeo Drive is really just shopping $$$$$ and sightseeing.

For places to eat near LAX: depends on what you like, of course. The Buggy Whip on Manchester in Westchester is an old-fashioned steakhouse, dark atmosphere with red leather booths, Green Goddess salad dressing & waitresses who call you "hon". Not exactly "LA" in appearance, but good food. $$

In Manhattan Beach, there are lots of places to eat. We like a place called Cafe Pierre, on Manhattan Beach Blvd. Sort of French/Asian fusion (that's VERY LA, LOL). $$$

There are a couple of places on Lincoln Boulevard in Westchester, that are geared more toward students (Loyola Marymount is right near there), Alejo's (Italian) $ and a Mexican place whose name escapes me. $

In Playa del Rey, on Culver Boulevard, there's a wonderful restaurant on Culver Boulevard called Chloe. The menu changes monthly, so you could find anything from venison to duck to salmon on the menu. Reservations are essential. $$$

Marina del Rey: Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch (check to make sure it's still there, I haven't been in a month of Sundays) serves awesome southern food. Far too much, but it'll get you in shape for your cruise, LOL! ($) The Cheescake Factory ($$) is a fun place to watch the almost-beautiful people, and Cafe del Rey is a nice Asian fusion type of place ($$$)

All of the above are 10-15 minutes from LAX. Manhattan Beach is south, Westchester, Marina & Playa are north.

Since you have a car, if you want some killer Mexican food, I recommend El Cholo on Western in Los Angeles if you have the time. It's a good 1/2 hour from the airport, maybe more, and in what can be a dicey part of town late at night, but they have valet parking and wonderful food. The area around the restaurant was devastated in our 1994 riots, but they left the restaurant alone, just to tell you how well-regarded it is. - the traffic will be a mess. There are probably other good Mexican restaurants closer to the airport, but I work downtown, so I go there for lunch.

If you're in the Beverly Hills area, continue west until you get to La Brea, where you will find Campanile ($$$) and the original La Brea Bakery ($$$), trendy, pricey and delicious.

Are you full yet?:D

Archived