Seabourn Odyssey first to be Silversea?

Seabourn-nail

When I first saw the Odyssey, it did strike me as a knock off of a Silversea ship. A few weeks later, while onboard Silversea, I had my brand new Odyssey brochure with me and asked the Officers about the resemblance.

They told me the similarity is simply due to the same ship architect and same ship builder as the Silversea ships. It was never intended to be a Silversea ship, nor could Silversea stop the architect or shipyard from designing and building a ship with similar traits for Seabourn.

Maybe it was a cost savings to not have to redesign the hull and exterior, I don't know. But, I do like the deck and pool layout of Silversea, so if Odyssey has the same - I say YEAH!!! I get the ONE thing I like better about Silversea on my favorite ships!! YAHOO!!

Hi Marja,

According to the oracle Brian the reason that the Odyssey has been built in the Italian shipyard that the Pride, Spirit & Legend were built at is because they have the patent on the curvature of the front of the ship and in order for Odyssey to look like the triplets they had to go back to the original shipyard, which leads to the question, why would Silversea have wanted a ship that looked like a seabourn ship.

Kathryn

Seabourn ships have watersport platforms which Silversea never has. Seabourn ships have multiple pools at different locations while Silversea has only one. Seabourn ships have that "double bridge top" superstructure at the top deck towards the stern which Silversea ships don't. They don't look alike at all, see link posted by Host Dan before http://66.39.211.187/NewBuild_Spirit/images/Silver_Spirit.jpg

The only similarity between Seabourn and Silversea is that both lines have been led to build ships at that shipyard when the cruise market is collapsing. This may be good to us customers though, a couple of years down the road, competition among them may be so keen that we can look forward to great discount deals!

MEOW!,

We are comparing the Odyssey, NOT the triplets, to Silversea Shadow & Whisper. Compare this photo... http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=273&menu_id=7&page_id=ourfleet to the photo you linked... http://66.39.211.187/NewBuild_Spirit/images/Silver_Spirit.jpg and tell me they aren't almost identical!

Odyssey WILL have the pool midship on deck and looks almost exactly like the pool on Shadow & Whisper only reversed. See Silversea deck 8 at http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?id=280&menu_id=7&page_id=OurFleet&content_id=669&suite_name=shadowdeckplan&menu_type=Shadow

compared to Seabourn Odyssey deck 8 at http://www.seabourn.com/YourYachts/Odyssey/DeckPlans/

Many ship building facilities have closed, and there are few to choose from now. So the odds of similar ships being built for different lines is greater now. I personally don't see an issue with that, as we will still have the best staff and Captains on our Seabourn ships!

The picture of the Odyssey on Seabourn's own website http://www.seabourn.com/YourYachts/Odyssey/

still shows that "double bridge top" superstructure on the top deck closer to the stern, integrated with the double chimneys, which is a Seabourn hallmark. Silversea ships all have one simple delta-shaped chimney.

Its deck plan http://www.seabourn.com/YourYachts/Odyssey/DeckPlans/

still shows on deck 2 the water sport extendable platform (no Silversea ship has such a feature, perhaps other than the expedition ship). It also shows a small pool at the stern on deck 5 and another at the bow of deck 6 (Silversea never has more than one pool on its ships). Either design has its own merits, but they are not the same.

It doesn't matter which is right, but with both cruise lines claiming all their newbuilds (three for Seabourn with the last two just started last week and one for Silversea) are already under construction, it is difficult to imagine their swopping ships!

Hi Meow!

It’s the OVERALL exterior design looks incredibly similar on both ships – specifically from the side view! I am sure that is what got speculation and wild rumors going about SB taking over a SS ship.

That is what we are talking about - the exterior design, not the interior details, or the chimney stack, as obviously each cruise line will personalize the interior and many of the details to their own style. AND we all love SB’s marina and the bow hot tub, plus the fact that SB is one of the FEW ships that passengers can access the BOW of the ship (I LOVE THAT!!) and those are just a few of the trademark features of our treasured girls.

I agree it doesn't matter which is right, or even if SB did buy an SS hull, who cares? (But we all know SB is still better!)

The old triplets were built in germany not Italy. the architects for the new ships are the same people as the triplets hence the 'seabourn' look to the new ships... the curved front, twin funnels, architecture around the funnels etc to maintain to look.

The silversea ships and the Regent ships were all built at T mariotti in genoa so there will be some resemblances but its up to Seabourn for the final look.

According to the oracle Brian the reason that the Odyssey has been built in the Italian shipyard that the Pride, Spirit & Legend were built at is because they have the patent on the curvature of the front of the ship and in order for Odyssey to look like the triplets they had to go back to the original shipyard, which leads to the question, why would Silversea have wanted a ship that looked like a seabourn ship.

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn and Brian,

I have to differ from The Oracle. I do not know about a patent on the triplet's curvature of the ship's prow or the raked superstructure design but I do know the Seabourn Pride, Spirit and Legend (nee Royal Odyssey, nee Royal Viking Queen) were not built by T. Mariotti S. p. A. in Italy but were built by Schichau-Seebeckwerft in Bremerhaven, Germany. I am sure the contract for Seaborun Odyssey and her two younger sisters went to the shipyard with the best proposal.

I remember right after the announcement of the Seabourn Odyssey and an artist's rendition of the ship in the press release, there was much discussion and speculation as to the true origin of the ship's design(i.e. drawn from a blank sheet of paper or borrowed from the naval architect who designed the Silversea ships or something else) on at least one thread in this forum.

Frankly, as long as Seabourn is in the ship's name, I pretty much know what I am getting myself in to, and that makes me happy. :)

I look forward to seeing you both for another Legendary crossing in November!

P. S. I did not see rigelkent's post until I posted my reply.

Depending on size, most cruise ships share many similarities. It's a ship, after all, and there is only so much you can do. One design feature of Odyssey I personally don't like is the placement of all staterooms in the forward half of the ship, where motion is often more pronounced. In addition, I often enjoyed aft veranda suites on several ships and, alas, there are none on Odyssey class ships.

wripro....

I can't speak for seabourn-nail, but many people like to know whether the hull was designed for the ship initially, or if the hull was piurchased that was designed for another ship and retrofitted to fit into the cruise line design. It makes a HUGE difference in how the ship operates.

Regent bought the hull for what is now the Navigator from a company that had designed and built it for an icebreaking ship. So, it goes through water much differently than a hull that would have been designed for a cruise ship, as the depth is shallower, etc.

Most people cannot tell the little nuances once underway, but many of us that have been around the sea and love learning everything about ships can tell even the slightest difference. Navigator vibrates too much for my taste. Others don't notice anything the entire cruise.

But still, a bad day at sea is better than the best day on land!!

wripro....

I can't speak for seabourn-nail, but many people like to know whether the hull was designed for the ship initially, or if the hull was piurchased that was designed for another ship and retrofitted to fit into the cruise line design. It makes a HUGE difference in how the ship operates.

Regent bought the hull for what is now the Navigator from a company that had designed and built it for an icebreaking ship. So, it goes through water much differently than a hull that would have been designed for a cruise ship, as the depth is shallower, etc.

Most people cannot tell the little nuances once underway, but many of us that have been around the sea and love learning everything about ships can tell even the slightest difference. Navigator vibrates too much for my taste. Others don't notice anything the entire cruise.

But still, a bad day at sea is better than the best day on land!!

Thank you Leslie!

You know how I like Seabourn!

And I did like Silversea too, but in a different way.

I would never have brought up the subject, if I had not asked around. And by the way several people pointed it out to me: The Seabourn Odyssey, like it is now being built (with a lot of alterations) was originally meant to be a Silversea ship. Some people were even crossed with Seabourn for taking over the contract! I know no more than this and for me it is not a huge issue, because I know what I like.

Marja

icon1.gif

Marja,

You are in fact correct.

Seabourn are in fact using the original hull design of the Whisper/Shadow. It is not Silversea that own the design but the shipyard.

Seabourn have made numerous design changes to the original plans, but they are in fact from the original drawings owned by the shipyard. Other vessels have also used the design as well.

Mind you this is just the hull design and has nothing to do with how the ship looks above the water line.

I don't think it is correct to say Seabourn has changed a Silversea ship to suit themselves. It's more about a structure design than anything else and would not be easy to see if you were just a passenger.

Silversea's particular requirements meant that when they approached the shipyards to tender for the Whisper/Shadow, new hull designs were needed as there were no others that matched the clients needs. After which other clients were able to use the same basic design for there mid range builds without having to go for the extra cost of a total new set of drawings.

It is actually the shipyard which owns the hull designs for the 2 larger Silversea ships not Silversea themselves.

Hope this helps....

jaffaozman@yahoo.com.au

Archived