No Fair Wind in November!

NextOne

I was looking forward to snorkeling on the Fair Wind this November, but have been told that the boat will be in dry dock for maintenance that month. :( The Hula Kai was recommended as a substitute. Has anyone done that trip? I was hoping to go to K' Bay, but that's not part of the HK's itinerary. I'm wondering if their other snorkeling sites are as nice, and if a relatively weak snorkeler would be comfortable at those sites.

If not, do you have any suggestions? I've ruled out Capt. Zodiac because of the rough ride. My back's not up to that anymore!

Thanks!

We have been on Fairwind several times but never on the Hula Kai. However, our daughter and son-in-law took the Hula Kai trip and loved it. I thought they went to K Bay as well as other spots. It's a much faster boat, so it can cover a larger area. We wanted to try the Hula Kai on our last trip, but we were in Kona on a Sunday, and I guess they don't regularly run that boat on Sundays - although with the Fairwind not operating during the month of November maybe the Hula Kai will go out all seven days. Maybe you could call their 800# and get more information. Good Luck and Aloha! http://www.fair-wind.com

We did Sea Paradise in the beginning of July and it was wonderful. They are a smaller sailing catamaran so they take fewer people, no slide, and a deli lunch.

However, they go to the same place as Fairwinds (we saw them), and the water around their boat is less crowded. Check to see if they have noodles for weaker snorkelers if you need them. Angel responded to all my emails and was very helpful (we met her on the boat). The staff was great and very service oriented, food was fresh and good. They were the best snorkeling trip we took while in HI....we also did one in Maui that I would not recommend.

I recommend Sea Paradise wholeheartedly.

Jitbug

We have sailed on the Hula Kai. It is wonderful. The service, food and the vessel is even more wonderful than the Fairwind II. The snorkling areas are off the coast, not a protected bay. We had a very calm day. November may be calm, may be rough. At least it is not Feb. Plenty of floatation devices are available. One of them is described below.

The first snorkling site can vary, but the second is usually, Rob's reef Pali Kahalo. We rented the torpedos ($50.00) and went on a tour with Erik. It was amazing. We swam into caves and went a long way, you could never have done this without have the torpedos. This spot was even more beautiful than Kealakekua Bay. I know, hard to believe. This spot is just north of Kona Paradise.

• Administrators
We have sailed on the Hula Kai. It is wonderful. The service, food and the vessel is even more wonderful than the Fairwind II. The snorkling areas are off the coast, not a protected bay. We had a very calm day. November may be calm, may be rough. At least it is not Feb. Plenty of floatation devices are available. One of them is described below.

The first snorkling site can vary, but the second is usually, Rob's reef Pali Kahalo. We rented the torpedos ($50.00) and went on a tour with Erik. It was amazing. We swam into caves and went a long way, you could never have done this without have the torpedos. This spot was even more beautiful than Kealakekua Bay. I know, hard to believe. This spot is just north of Kona Paradise.

I saw this post from Milolii and just wanted to add that while we are HUGE fans of Fairwind (and big proponents, like Bucky3, who was my "godmother" here on this board about Fair Wind!)... for our next visit to the BI (which I think will be next summer) we plan to take the Hula Kai trip. I have implicit trust in the folks who run the Fair Wind operation, based on our wonderful experience in '07 and numerous reports here, and I sincerely believe that the Hula Kai is going to be unforgettable.

To the OP, perhaps you'll just wind up being the opposite of us -- our cruise experience was the Fair Wind II, and we plan to sail on the Hula Kai for our land-based visit -- maybe you'll just reverse that. :) I honestly do not think you can go wrong with this company based on my personal experience with them and numerous posts here at CC. That's especially so since Captain Zodiac is out for you -- it was for me, as well, due to arthritis, so my younger, wilder days of roller coasters and wave jumping are behind me now. :D

Thanks to everyone for your help! It's much appreciated.

Milolli - Just a question about the torpedoes. It sounds like this is an option at the second site? Do you go underwater with them, or can you stay on the surface? Is this where you can explore the lava tubes? The website pictures make it look very appealing, but I've never used a torpedo before and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your help! It's much appreciated.

Milolli - Just a question about the torpedoes. It sounds like this is an option at the second site? Do you go underwater with them, or can you stay on the surface? Is this where you can explore the lava tubes? The website pictures make it look very appealing, but I've never used a torpedo before and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

The torpedoes were an option at both sites. The second site is better snorkling. You do have to really put your face in the water otherwise the water woud hit you in the face while you are moving. The crafts make it very easy to explore the caves. It is the site you see the Hula Kai anchored at on the web page. They are very easy to use and you can also squat on them when you are not moving. It was a blast!

Since the earthquake in October, 2006, the state has declared the cliffs above Kealakekua Bay unstable. The area near the shore by the cliffs is off limits now. The fine is $32,000. The bay is wonderful, but the snorkling area around the shore was awesome. I guess that is one more point for the Hula Kai.

Thanks for your help! We've booked the Hula Kai and I'm really looking forward to it. My DH isn't sure about the torpedoes because of the extra $$, but I've got 4 months to persuade him!:D

What would be a good amount to tip the crew at the end of the trip?

Archived