Help with chooising which ports in Mexico

outandabout

Planning to do MR cruise next year but can't decide which ports. Anyone who has had a cruise from Los Angeles or San Diego fill me in which ports are interesting to visit. I'm not a beach fanatic; just happy to enjoy the scenery, see some sights and relax in the ship.

Just got back from an port intensive cruise in the Baltics and altho' enjoyed much sightseeing I came back tired and exhausted.

Thanks.

Hi!

I took the Celebrity Mercury to the MR a couple of years ago in Feb. It went from San Diego to Acapulco. I am not a beach person either. I went whale watching in Cabo, saw the cliff divers etc in Acap., saw some colonial towns near Manzanillo, walked around in Zihua.., went to the tequila place & city tour in PV & did a tour in Mazatlan. It was wonderful & this year we went back to PV for 1 week to see more. The malecon is beautiful. I took only ship's excursions since I was alone & really enjoyed them.

~Jo~ :)

In April 2006 my dh and I went to the Mexican Riviera. The only thing I enjoyed in Acapulco was the cliff divers. But I recommend you go with a Cruise excursion. I was uncomfortable with all of the military there. When we were there the military base was on alert because of a problem with an attack on one of their officials. Also we were swarmed at the hotel where the cliff divers were with people trying to sell their stuff. Our tour guide got us through the them and told us not to buy anything because they would not leave you alone. I love Puerto Vallarta. Our tour guide was awesome and the streets and churches there are so beautiful. I felt very safe there but that could have been because of the tour guide. I do not know much about Cabo San Lucas because our tour guide had his own agenda and we went to where his friends hung out. Nice church there though and very entertaining watching the traffic and how people have road rage there. They have a whole other way of dealing with rude drivers it was funny. If I did that cruise again I personally would only get off at Puerta Vallarta.

Acapulco is nice but its big, you need to take a tour. Either the one with the ship or I would recommend the indenpendent tour operated by Rosie, who is famous on this forum. She is great, took you to all of the site that the ship excursion does and more. Take you to her home for a fresh of the tree mango treat. Back to the dock she even reduce everyone's fare by 5 bucks since we had a full van load (she quote her cost assuming there are some no shows).

PV, you can do it on your own, great downtown strolls. Easily walk up to where local lives. Authentic, clean and safe.

Cabo, everybody's must list just for those Rocks.

Mazatlan, I love the tour that took us to Concordia and one other small town. remind you of some good ol' days where there is no worry.

i would book a ship that includes ixtapa, our favorite port,

they have some on carnival ..

or if you want a good longer cruise , you can sail from SF on princess or NCL and it includes acapulco, ixtapa, pv ,and cabo,

that would be the best overall in my opinon..

Pool Girl1,

What's with "being safe" in Mexico? Are there troublesome areas or areas where women are not safe? This cruise maybe all women only; we're leaving our hubbies behind, but if that's the case no dice, we have to bring them with us.

what or where is malecon in PV? i haven't done any research on each port yet so pls fill me in. thanks.
The malecon is the main street across from the beach in PV. It's lined with shops, restaurants and bars on one side and has a nice wide pedestrian area across the street with the beach below (now really a beach for swimming, too rocky) The malecon in PV is also lined with many beautiful sculptures.

In the evenings, it's crowded with people who stroll around. There may also be food vendors or street performers (at least there were when we were there.)

It was one of my favorite places of the ports we visited.

Archived