First time booking flight through X

I have always arranged my own air when cruising. When we booked this time we booked through X (solstice December - just in case the ship is not ready). My question is: when do you find out when we fly out and with which airline, do they generally do non stop from Toronto to Florida or will we have a stop over, do we fly in the same day.

Unless you do an air deviation (choose your own flights for an additional fee), you will find out your flight schedule 30-60 days before the cruise. Unless there are no flights that will get you to the cruise on time, they will fly you out the day of the cruise. It is possible you could be assigned to a non-stop but you are more likely to get flights with at least one connection. If you want a non-stop and/or want to go in a day ahead, then you need to pay for an air deviation.

Unless you do an air deviation (choose your own flights for an additional fee), you will find out your flight schedule 30-60 days before the cruise. Unless there are no flights that will get you to the cruise on time, they will fly you out the day of the cruise. It is possible you could be assigned to a non-stop but you are more likely to get flights with at least one connection. If you want a non-stop and/or want to go in a day ahead, then you need to pay for an air deviation.

Really a stop over on a 3 hour flight - grrr. Perhaps I should check into the air deviation. I would imagine however they will do everything in there power to get you there on time for the sailing - perhaps on the way home they might just book whatever is the cheapest. I guess once you get the flight details you're stuck with them and you can't do a deviation.

The thing with the deviation is you pay a set fee for the deviation PLUS any difference in airfare. They only have a set amount of seats at their contract rate on most flights, some flights they don't even have any seats at their contract rate. So if you wait until you find out your flight schedule to ask for a deviation, then your chance of them having any seats at their contract rate on the flight you want is very unlikely.

And yes, a connection is a very real possibility considering that there are very few choices of non-stop flights from Toronto on airlines that the cruiselines book to either FLL or MIA anymore, especially ones that will work with a cruise departure. American has a couple nonstops into MIA at the moment the 2nd one being a little risky for a cruise from Port Everglades IMO, but who knows if they will make any more cuts to their schedules like predicted. Air Canada has a non-stop into both MIA and FLL but the arrival times are risky IMO to get to a cruise. United's non-stops are actually the Air Canada flights. The cruiselines go for whatever is cheapest for them, not what works best for you. You are more likely to end up on a one-stop on Northwest, United, or Delta which have earlier arrivals than most of the non-stops, except for one of the American non-stops.

Air Canada has a non-stop into both MIA and FLL but the arrival times are risky IMO to get to a cruise. .

We had always travelled from Toronto/Montreal to FLL, arriving around 1:00 p.m. on the day of the cruises which left Port Everglades around 4:30 p.m. We did this for four cruises and were always OK, although we did sit on the runway for an hour in Toronto once, and made the ship at 4:00 p.m.!

Driving to Florida, two years ago, we encountered a winter storm which added two days onto our trip! :eek: (It was a good thing that we were not catching a cruise.)

Last year, my sister and brother-in-law could not get out of Moncton due to winter weather except on a later flight to get to Toronto; as a result, they missed their connection, but since this was a land vacation package, they were put up in Toronto and caught a flight the next day, losing one day of their holiday. This got me thinking about possibilities of cancelled flights and last year (and for our upcoming cruise in November ) we flew in a day ahead. It was such a relief to be there early, to relax and to board ship around noon; and I would now advise anyone to go a day early. For not much more than the air deviation (I think) you could go the day early and get a hotel for the night.

Just thought that I pass this information on to you. Hope it helps.:)

Really a stop over on a 3 hour flight - grrr. Perhaps I should check into the air deviation. I would imagine however they will do everything in there power to get you there on time for the sailing - perhaps on the way home they might just book whatever is the cheapest. I guess once you get the flight details you're stuck with them and you can't do a deviation.

Although they will make every attempt to get you there, the cruise line states in all their documents that cruise fare is done as a courtesy and they do not guarantee they will get you to the ship. This is a common misconception. There is no way I would come from anywhere prone to snow in Dec. on the same day of the cruise and with air travel the way it is these days, I won't even go same day in the summer. Make sure you get insurance under these circumstances...

Although they will make every attempt to get you there, the cruise line states in all their documents that cruise fare is done as a courtesy and they do not guarantee they will get you to the ship. This is a common misconception. There is no way I would come from anywhere prone to snow in Dec. on the same day of the cruise and with air travel the way it is these days, I won't even go same day in the summer. Make sure you get insurance under these circumstances...

Absolutely, positively the best advice any cruiser will ever get. We always arrive two days early now.

I'm confused now...I thought that with the cruise airfare they will get to the ship. If they can't make it to embarkation, then they fly you to the next port:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000ckAmjtrmaG5jcIt2xCcKU5F:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Air+Arrangements&faqId=2029&pagename=faq_answers

Or am I reading their FAQ wrong?

I'm confused now...I thought that with the cruise airfare they will get to the ship. If they can't make it to embarkation, then they fly you to the next port:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000ckAmjtrmaG5jcIt2xCcKU5F:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Air+Arrangements&faqId=2029&pagename=faq_answers

The FAQ doesn't solve all problems, they state in their documents it is a courtesy. They will most likely get you there but the bottom line is don't go on the same day if you can avoid it.

If you read their FAQs notice there is no guarantee you will make the ship on time. And while they do say they'll help you catch up to the ship at the next port if you miss the sailing, they don't say they will pay for all your expenses to catch up to the ship.

When we use Celebrity Air, we always ask for an air deviation. We, then, choose, Air Canada, directly to Florida.

If you are a Captain's Club Member, there is no fee. If you are not, they charge a small fee of $50.

I usually check out flights from Montreal to Florida, then I ask for the deviation, and I tell them which flight I want. There has never been a problem so far. You can book this deviation 9 months in advance so there is an excellent chance that you'll get what you ask for.

I, highly, recommend going a day before (no matter who you book your air with)especially in Dec. You know how winters can be.

When we use Celebrity Air, we always ask for an air deviation. We, then, choose, Air Canada, directly to Florida.

If you are a Captain's Club Member, there is no fee. If you are not, they charge a small fee of $50.

I usually check out flights from Montreal to Florida, then I ask for the deviation, and I tell them which flight I want. There has never been a problem so far. You can book this deviation 9 months in advance so there is an excellent chance that you'll get what you ask for.

I, highly, recommend going a day before (no matter who you book your air with)especially in Dec. You know how winters can be.

So you can tell them which flight you want - regardless of cost. Last year we took a cruise out of Cape Canaveral and the flights from Toronto to Orlando were $2000 per person through air Canada - so for 4 of us it was $8000 plus $314 pp tax so yes $10,000ish to fly to Florida (we can drive it in 20hrs!!!) We ended up flying out of the U.S. which is only an 1 1/2 hour drive and we paid $1500 for all of us. I thought we would just book thru X since they were only charging $2000 including transfers.

Now I'm nervous. But if you tell me I can pick my flight and pay $50pp diviation then that sounds fine to me. I can also handle an extra day in FLORIDA. I guess my next post is going to be were to stay for the extra day lol

So you can tell them which flight you want - regardless of cost. Last year we took a cruise out of Cape Canaveral and the flights from Toronto to Orlando were $2000 per person through air Canada - so for 4 of us it was $8000 plus $314 pp tax so yes $10,000ish to fly to Florida (we can drive it in 20hrs!!!) We ended up flying out of the U.S. which is only an 1 1/2 hour drive and we paid $1500 for all of us. I thought we would just book thru X since they were only charging $2000 including transfers.

Now I'm nervous. But if you tell me I can pick my flight and pay $50pp diviation then that sounds fine to me. I can also handle an extra day in FLORIDA. I guess my next post is going to be were to stay for the extra day lol

I have a cruise in december out of FLL. I booked Celebrity air for $489. If I find a deal cheaper, I just cancel the X Air before final payment.

I called X's custom Air Dept. This is the Dept. that books the air deviations. I asked them if they have a contract with Air Canada. They had. I selected the direct flight and the date I wanted.

If they don't have a contract with the Airline of your choice, then it is a different ballgame. So far in the last 8 yearsthat we've been cruising, they have always had contracted air with Air Canada.

p.s. I have never heard of airfare to orlando at $2000. a ticket. Wow!

We will always use cruise air offered through X or RCL (the only lines we cruise). Last summer's shipwreck on the SS Minnow, I mean Millenium, showed that to be a smart move. After nearly a week, dock-locked in Rome on a broken ship, X told all the passengers it was time to give up trying to fix the ship's propellors and asked us all to leave. Since we had booked cruise air it was X's responsiblity to get us home to Chicago. Other passengers who booked their own air were scrambling around the ship trying to figure out how to get a flight home. It was interesting to watch, but for us it was casual time by the pool until X informed us of our air arrangments home (Rome to Toronto to Chicago). For us, it's peace of mind insurance.

So I checked out AC and AA and for us to book our own flights its approx $700.00 PP plus transfers. If I book my air through X I pay $449 PP including transfers. It looks like it would be pretty hard for them to book anything but a direct flight for us in order to make the ship on time. I just wonder why they wait until 60 days B4 sailing to book the flights. Do they have seats blocked off b/c if not then wouldn't all the choice flights be gone b4.

It looks like it would be pretty hard for them to book anything but a direct flight for us in order to make the ship on time.

The only time that we didn't get Custom Air was our first cruise. We had one stop on the way to Florida and one on the way back.

I checked with our TA and she said because we booked through Celebrity that it is their responsibility to get us to the boat on time. If they have to they will send a car (limo) - ARE YOU KIDDING ME :)! Can't wait to experience that one! Will keep everyone updated:D

Melody

Archived