Melbourne - what are must-sees?

SDHALFAN

Melbourne is a wonderful city. I lived there for almost 10 years and agree with many of the suggestions given....

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lygon Street Carlton, for the food. Also simple to get to via the tram ways and has the most wonderful cosmopolitan streetmosphere... Italian food to die for....

Lisa. :)

I have to concur about Lygon Street. There are many good choices for dinner. One that we particularly enjoy and have visited on several occasions is Il Cantuccio. It's at 209 Lygon Street. 03-9347-9959. They are closed on Mondays.

Even if you don't eat there, its a great neighborhood for a stroll with many sidewalk choices for a coffee or tea.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne.

Marti,

We are also at 9:30 a.m. Maybe we will be in the same group. I read that they take 4 people.

Jimanne

The vast majority of our cabs are just ordinary sedans that have had the taxi meter added plus some also have a security screen. Three in the back seat and one in the front is the limit.

You may occasionally see some cabs that are mini vans that take more people but they are a rarity.

If you use the light rail link into the city there are several internet cafes in Flinders Street and Elizabeth Street.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The light rail (tram) is very easy to get around on and runs till late at night. Melbourne is safe to walk around night and day - you will find in the warmer months there will be many people out walking around. We have had some trouble with violence outside clubs (we are talking 3 and 4am on a Saturday night/morning) but they are usually drink fueled violence and is located to the club areas (King Street). I really wouldnt stress about this - I feel very safe walking around after theatre shows finish around 11:30pm and I am a big baby!

Docklands isnt really in walking distance from Station Pier - it is a bit of a hike. Where the ship docks (Port Melbourne) is nice but if you walk a little further down you hit St.Kilda which is lovely. Ackland Street has lots of little cafes and yummy cakes! There are internet cafes in the CBD which you can get the tram to rather than paying cab fares. You could just buy a 2 hour ticket for the first night and then an all day ticket the next day. It gives you all day travel on tram, bus and trains. You can catch a tram to docklands and the city cirlce tram (the burgundy free one) runs to the docklands area. You will also find the Telstra Dome there (it is a stadium).

Melbourne Zoo is also brilliant - a lot of money has been pumped in to it in the last couple of years ensuring the animals are living in natural habitats. There is also an Australian animals section that is open range walk through (although I dont like it because emus freak me out!) One of the elephants is pregnant at the moment as well!

The MCG is also fantastic - I did the tour and museum a couple of years ago but it has improved enormously since then. You can catch a tram or train there or walk as there are walking paths from Federation Square. If you havent pre-booked a greeter (who are great!) then head to Federation Square which is opposite Flinders Street Station and go to the visitors centre which is underground to get some help.

Hope this helps!

Carly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived