Couldn't make the final payment date

hatchetjack5

I had the money, but my parents are going through some financial difficulty and I have loaned them a LARGE sum of money to save thier house, which is what has thrown me off. I work for the state so there is no borrowing money.

I understand a contract is a contract, but with the economy so bad right now, I thought they would work with me some.

If you belong to a credit union why don't you see if you can get a short term loan from them or see if they are offering a vacation loan (I know the 2 credit unions I belong to were offering this). Or maybe you can borrow the money from a good friend.

I called Carnival this morning because our final payment was due on Saturday. They said that if I do not make the final payment by Friday, that I will loose everything. I tried to arrange an extension until August 8th (thats when I get paid again). If payment is not made by Friday I will loose the $800 that I have already paid. She said that I could write a letter to Carnival requesting my money back but it was a long slow process.

We sail on Sept. 8th.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Do your best to pay by Friday, 2 years ago i was laid off one month before the cruise.Our cruise on the Valor was paid for and we had the money but a job came and i was not able to take it because the vacation was booked, I talk to Carnival and they were very nice but very firm that we will be losing like 500 dollars which was the penalty, they will not apply those moneys for another cruise so It was paid for and we went and had a great time and I did look for a new job after my return, times are thought but in my case I will never book a cruise unless I have the funds available because you just never know when things can change, good luck to you, maybe a family member can help you or a credit card, just dont risk losing the $800.00 But at the same time dont go nuts, you can always go in another cruise but $800.00 is a lot of money to loose on this times .

Good luck to you

It seems to me that your parents did an excellent job of raising you to have such good respect and values. For you to step up and help them in their time of need is awesome. And that you were in a position to do it also is commendable. I'm sure if you don't get to go this time that there will be a cruise for you in the near future. Sounds like you've been able to work out something with Carnival to help your situation. I hope my children would do the same if I ever needed anything.

I called Carnival this morning because our final payment was due on Saturday. They said that if I do not make the final payment by Friday, that I will loose everything. I tried to arrange an extension until August 8th (thats when I get paid again). If payment is not made by Friday I will loose the $800 that I have already paid. She said that I could write a letter to Carnival requesting my money back but it was a long slow process.

We sail on Sept. 8th.

Well, you have a choice; lose 800.00 or pony up the final payment by some means.

It's not as if it was a big surprise that final payment was coming due. You've had a while to plan for it.

Good Luck.

I most be totally bizarre here compared to some of the other responses. If final payment was due back in June(which you obviously missed) why didn't you just cancel prior? You must have known you couldnt cut it financially??? You would have gotten your deposit back.

Personally the idea of taking out a loan to go on a cruise is just:eek: to me. What bank in these times would even consider that???

Look the bottom line is you dont have the cash. You should have cancelled. You did not. At least try to stop any more of your loss before it gets worse.

Good luck!

It seems to me that your parents did an excellent job of raising you to have such good respect and values. For you to step up and help them in their time of need is awesome. And that you were in a position to do it also is commendable. I'm sure if you don't get to go this time that there will be a cruise for you in the near future. Sounds like you've been able to work out something with Carnival to help your situation. I hope my children would do the same if I ever needed anything.

100% agreed, lol

At the same time there is such a bad economy going on , will it be to hard to the Cruise Industry to understand issues like this one???

We sail on Sept. 8th.

I just got off of the phone with my PVP and well to make a long story short, I am cruising on 9/7 and left everything in my Husbands hands to take care of. (I travel for my job and am out of the country for days at a time) Anyway, I had called him last week and asked how everything was going with the cruise planning and inquired about final payment. He said everything was great and final payment was due on 7/24. Well I got home late last night and went throught the mail, guess what, final payment was due on 6/24. Carnival had sent us a letter asking for final payment, no specific due date was on it. It said, "As of this date, we still have not received the amount owed to CCL on the following reservation....It is very important that payment be received promptly, in order to expedite the mailing of tickets..." This letter was dated 6/30. After making final payment today, I asked my PVP what would have happened if we would have waited until 7/24. She said that CCL will continue to send out letters and phone. Cancellation will not occur without proper notification through letters and phone. (legalities). She didn't give me a specific time amount. If it is worth anything, we were almost 1 month late with our final payment and we are still cruising! (Oh, DH would've been in the dog house if it had been cancelled!)

I am sorry you're going to miss your cruise. But you had a contract & knew when the final payment was due. They have no obligation to work with you beyond that. I sincerely doubt they'll return a penny of your money due to your poor planning.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you. Who are we to judge?

I had the money, but my parents are going through some financial difficulty and I have loaned them a LARGE sum of money to save thier house, which is what has thrown me off. I work for the state so there is no borrowing money.

I understand a contract is a contract, but with the economy so bad right now, I thought they would work with me some.

Maybe you can take a small loan off your retirement and make payroll deductions to pay it back.

If not at least you get extra points for helping your parents out and it will come back to you in the long run

If you need the money until payday, and have a state pension plan, perhaps you can borrow from that. The interest will be very small because it is your money. You have to pay it back within a specified time period or risk paying federal penalties for early withdrawal. It's always risky to play with this money because you need it later in life. But a small short term loan can work. Check out all the state regs before using it though.

I am sorry you're going to miss your cruise. But you had a contract & knew when the final payment was due. They have no obligation to work with you beyond that. I sincerely doubt they'll return a penny of your money due to your poor planning.

Pretty harsh, don't you think?

Nope. Many on this board dont have credit cards and book cruises.

I can not imagine booking a cruise, booking the excursions, hotels, transfers and going on the cruise w/o a Credit Card. I would not think if one had a debit card you would be able do all that (not that you can not, but that it would not be feasible). What other form of payment does Carnival take?

Congrats on helping your parents, you did the right thing.

No matter how much "planning" you do, sometimes stuff just happens, well at least to the majority of us.... so we can sympathize.

Good luck.

I can not imagine booking a cruise, booking the excursions, hotels, transfers and going on the cruise w/o a Credit Card. I would not think if one had a debit card you would be able do all that (not that you can not, but that it would not be fusible). What other form of payment does Carnival take?

cash:D

I can not imagine booking a cruise, booking the excursions, hotels, transfers and going on the cruise w/o a Credit Card. I would not think if one had a debit card you would be able do all that (not that you can not, but that it would not be fusible). What other form of payment does Carnival take?

I make my initial deposit by credit card either by phone with Carnival or, online if that's the way it's booked.

My final payment is made by check. While I carry a credit card, it is for emergencies only. I set up my onboard account with cash. If I rent a car, I give them my credit card imprint that is required, but, when I turn the car in, I pay by cash.

Believe it or not, many people get along quite well without using their credit cards except for those rare occassions where it might be required. We pay no interest and stay out of debt. Many of us believe that if you can't afford it, don't buy it until you have saved up the money.

Of course, we seem to be a rare breed.....sort of like those of us who won't have a cell phone. Many would never pay the outrageous fees that are charged. Or, those of us who don't pay for Cable TV....when all the bad TV you want is free......why pay for it.

Archived