Couldn't make the final payment date

hatchetjack5

I called Carnival this morning because our final payment was due on Saturday. They said that if I do not make the final payment by Friday, that I will loose everything. I tried to arrange an extension until August 8th (thats when I get paid again). If payment is not made by Friday I will loose the $800 that I have already paid. She said that I could write a letter to Carnival requesting my money back but it was a long slow process.

We sail on Sept. 8th.

Tell them you want to apply for a Carnival Sea Miles Card ASAP and that should get you somewhere fast ;) You can put the final payment on that and pay off when you can :D

I can not imagine booking a cruise, booking the excursions, hotels, transfers and going on the cruise w/o a Credit Card. I would not think if one had a debit card you would be able do all that (not that you can not, but that it would not be fusible). What other form of payment does Carnival take?

Except for the transfers we did all that in June with no cc. I realize it's hard for some to believe. But you really can live without a cc and do all the stuff other people do.

I make my initial deposit by credit card either by phone with Carnival or' date=' online if that's the way it's booked.

My final payment is made by check. While I carry a credit card, it is for emergencies only. I set up my onboard account with cash. If I rent a car, I give them my credit card imprint that is required, but, when I turn the car in, I pay by cash.

Believe it or not, many people get along quite well without using their credit cards except for those rare occassions where it might be required. We pay no interest and stay out of debt. Many of us believe that if you can't afford it, don't buy it until you have saved up the money.

Of course, we seem to be a rare breed.....sort of like those of us who won't have a cell phone. Many would never pay the outrageous fees that are charged. Or, those of us who don't pay for Cable TV....when all the bad TV you want is free......why pay for it.[/quote']

I use my credit cards every day, and pay no interest and have ZERO debt!;) Oh and I earn a few hundred dollars a year in rewards without a penny of interest paid!:D

MAC

I make my initial deposit by credit card either by phone with Carnival or' date=' online if that's the way it's booked.

My final payment is made by check. While I carry a credit card, it is for emergencies only. I set up my onboard account with cash. If I rent a car, I give them my credit card imprint that is required, but, when I turn the car in, I pay by cash.

Believe it or not, many people get along quite well without using their credit cards except for those rare occasions where it might be required. We pay no interest and stay out of debt. Many of us believe that if you can't afford it, don't buy it until you have saved up the money.

Of course, we seem to be a rare breed.....sort of like those of us who won't have a cell phone. Many would never pay the outrageous fees that are charged. Or, those of us who don't pay for Cable TV....when all the bad TV you want is free......why pay for it.[/quote']

We do use our Credit Card but I always pay it off at the end of the month. We do not have Cell phones and I doubt we ever will. We have two Trac phones but we only use them when on vacation. They are all paid for, no monthly fees. We just fill up the phone and use it. We do not have cable, we have the dish, no extras and no movies. Our bill is the same every month.

I think we are both rare breeds. Except for using cash which I really do not like to do, we use the Credit Card. We are debt free do not owe a dime to anyone. Well...... ask me again when we leave in September. But even then when we come back all the bills will be paid for. I have paid for a lot of things already, especially our excursions, but some I can not pay for yet.

Using cash is way to risky. We have read threads by people who used cash for a deposit on a cruise and lost everything, they said they did not receive any cash. Not very wise.

I have used a check for deposits many times. Never had a problem....

Why would it not be wise:confused:

I can not imagine booking a cruise, booking the excursions, hotels, transfers and going on the cruise w/o a Credit Card. I would not think if one had a debit card you would be able do all that (not that you can not, but that it would not be feasible). What other form of payment does Carnival take?

I don't have a single credit card. My bank card is a Visa & I use that for everything. If I don't have the money in the bank, I don't do it.

Believe it or not, many people get along quite well without using their credit cards except for those rare occassions where it might be required. We pay no interest and stay out of debt. Many of us believe that if you can't afford it, don't buy it until you have saved up the money.

I follow the philosophy of, if I can't pay it off, I'm not buying it. I never carry a balance on my credit cards, so I never have to pay interest, nor do I have debt. And I earn free stuff in the process. Credit cards aren't evil. If the OP has a credit card, put it on the credit card and pay it off on the 8th when you get paid again.

Using cash is way to risky. We have read threads by people who used cash for a deposit on a cruise and lost everything, they said they did not receive any cash. Not very wise.

I can not imagine booking a cruise, booking the excursions, hotels, transfers and going on the cruise w/o a Credit Card. I would not think if one had a debit card you would be able do all that (not that you can not, but that it would not be feasible). What other form of payment does Carnival take?

Looks like you partially had the answer your own question. ;)

Wouldn't the OP have to have one to book the cruise?

I just got a RCL VISA card recently for the benefits, but been using a debit card just fine. Never had a problem.

We also have a lady going with us who doesnt have computer access which is getting chancy. We had to put her as a cash pay, in order for me to fill out her set sail pass and print it out for her, because she didnt want to read me her charge card #, doesnt trust the phone lines she says, says she trusts me. lol

Lots of people dont use charge cards, never needed one, I pay my bills from my savings.

I think people who are used to charging everything justify it as "everyone else is doing it too"?

You can stay out of debt and be interest free and still have a credit

card. Travelers checks are a PITA and carrying loads of cash is very

risky. Lots of people pay off their cc charges each month.

Free TV? Not around here. You'd need rabbitt ears, cable TV or a dish

to watch TV.

I use my credit cards every day, and pay no interest and have ZERO debt!;) Oh and I earn a few hundred dollars a year in rewards without a penny of interest paid!:D

MAC

I understand...my daughter and son do the same thing. It's not really my cup of tea....too "old school" I guess... I am, after all, approaching "geezer" stage. :p I realize the convenience of a credit card. I traveled on business when I was working and was on the road about 280 days a year....so I know how easy it is.

However, for me, it is easier to pay by check or cash - or debit card sometimes. It's just personal preference.

We do use our Credit Card but I always pay it off at the end of the month. We do not have Cell phones and I doubt we ever will. We have two Trac phones but we only use them when on vacation. They are all paid for, no monthly fees. We just fill up the phone and use it. We do not have cable, we have the dish, no extras and no movies. Our bill is the same every month.

I think we are both rare breeds. Except for using cash which I really do not like to do, we use the Credit Card. We are debt free do not owe a dime to anyone. Well...... ask me again when we leave in September. But even then when we come back all the bills will be paid for. I have paid for a lot of things already, especially our excursions, but some I can not pay for yet.

Exactly! There are times when only a credit card will do...and I'll use it-shore excursions and that type of thing are good examples. But, it's paid off when the bill comes in.

In all the years spent traveling, I've never had anything stolen from me, nor have I ever been threatened. Never had money stolen or passport or any thing at all. I'm quite comfortable with cash.......just wish I had more to be comfortable with.....:D

You can stay out of debt and be interest free and still have a credit

card. Travelers checks are a PITA and carrying loads of cash is very

risky. Lots of people pay off their cc charges each month.

Free TV? Not around here. You'd need rabbitt ears, cable TV or a dish

to watch TV.

I understand your point of view. I just prefer not to use credit cards unless necessary. Unless I'm traveling overseas on an extended trip, I'd never carry Traveler's checks anyway. I'm pushing 68, my career involved travel and being on the road most of the year 200+ days a year. I've never had a problem with carrying cash...never had anything stolen, never have been threatened.

As for "free TV", you know I am referring to subscription Cable TV services. I have an antennae service that costs me 9.95 a month. Prior to that, I had rabbit ears. Where I live, Cable TV starts at about 49.95 a month...and I'd never pay that - much less pay for premium channels and the other junk that passes for "entertainment". I do have a library of about 400 video's and DVD's that I've gathered over 20 years or so. Consequently, I'm never without something to watch that is worthwhile. In addition, I am an avid reader and prefer a good book over TV any time.

Unfortunately, the OP's situation is a hard one:

Trying to change dates, or downgrade after the final payment date is considered a cancellation and re-book. That means that the OP would loose the entire final payment as a cancellation penalty.

Applying for CCL's Sea Miles Credit Card is not instantaneous, so he/she would still be left out cold waiting days (or weeks) for that credit card to be approved.

Carnival doesn't include a cancellation date in their final payment letters because there isn't one. The date that the reservation will be force cancelled depends on how close to departure it is, and most importantly, what the demand for the sailing is. If the ship is almost sold out, and Carnival knows that they can force cancel that reservation and sell it to someone who is willing to pay more, they will. If it's a slow selling cruise, the reservation might stay alive for a much longer period after the final payment date.

Making a partial payment on an overdue cruise doesn't automatically "extend" the booking. It still shows as an overdue payment subject to the same force cancellation penalties.

IF for some reason you're force cancelled, Carnival might (and probably will) allow you to re-book the same sailing later on (at whatever the rate is at that time) and apply the forfeited money to the new reservation. Keep that in the back of your mind JUST in case it gets to that point.

Even though you're still responsible for this contract, and in my humble opinion you should've cancelled when you still had time, I simpathize with your situation, and I know that you will be rewarded in other ways for helping your parents.

MAC

me too! Ditched the Carnival rewards card this year and got the Chase Freedom. Already have several hundred $$ on there for our upcoming cruise. We use it for everything and I go online every Friday and pay it off. I don't even wait for the monthly statement. I've never paid them a dime in interest.

You just have to have enough disapline not to spend more than you can afford and it is easy to make credit cards work for you.

BTW Good luck to the OP I hope everything works out and you have a wonderful cruise.

Tell them you want to apply for a Carnival Sea Miles Card ASAP and that should get you somewhere fast ;) You can put the final payment on that and pay off when you can :D

That is a great idea!!!!;)

Whether you believe in them(credit cards) or not, they still exist. Unless you have $1000's of cash available quickly you should always have at least one CC for true emergencies. This might not qualify for a real emergency but you can save the cruise and pay the balance ASAP.

If you work it right you can get points and cash back and never pay interest like some here have pointed out. Plus you have some sort of consumer protection.

I don't use CC's very much but I know if something happened and I needed a quick $250,000, its always there..

I put everything on my debit card... Carnival takes it just like a credit card. You can also send them a check, wire funds, etc. I use cash, travelers checks or my amex (if it is a business cruise only) in port, but everything else is put on my debit card... they have no problem taking it (it's a visa debit)

Archived