First Cruise Of The Season (Service Issues?)

discjoker

Hello...looking to sail on the Spirit next year from Boston to Bermuda. Thinking about the first cruise of the season (May 1). Are there generally service issues on the first run of the season? I know the ship sails continuously but do they generally time contracts to end when there is an itinerary change? Will there be an influx of new staff?

Also, operationally are there usually issues (delays in and out of port, less than ideal/smooth operations at the cruise terminal, etc)?

And a bonus question....generally, what is the weather like in Bermuda in Early May? Sea conditions?

Thanks.

Hello...looking to sail on the Spirit next year from Boston to Bermuda. Thinking about the first cruise of the season (May 1).

Are there generally service issues on the first run of the season? I know the ship sails continuously but do they generally time contracts to end when there is an itinerary change? Will there be an influx of new staff?

I HAVE BEEN ON A COUPLE OF SUCH CRUISES AND HAVE NOT HAD SERVICE ISSUES BECAUSE AS YOU SAID, THE SHIPS ARE SAILING CONTINUOUSLY. I'VE NEVER KNOWN CONTRACTS TO COINCIDE WITH ITINERARIES LIKE THIS.

Also, operationally are there usually issues (delays in and out of port, less than ideal/smooth operations at the cruise terminal, etc)?

THE MAJESTY USED TO HAVE THE FIRST CRUISE OF THE SEASON COINCIDE WITH PATRIOT'S DAY/SCHOOL VACATION AND THIS WASN'T A PROBLEM. IT HASN'T DONE IT IN A FEW YEARS SO STAFFING OR OTHER ISSUES MAY HAVE BECOME A PROBLEM. WHERE THE SPIRIT IS A MUCH BIGGER SHIP IT COULD BE A PROBLEM? I DO KNOW THE TWO NIGHTER ON THE GEM LAST DECEMBER WAS BAD.

And a bonus question....generally, what is the weather like in Bermuda in Early May? Sea conditions?

Thanks.

COIN TOSS. WE WENT ON THE MAJESTY TO BERMUDA THE FIRST WEEK OF MAY IN 1998 AND THE SEAS GOING OUT WERE PRETTY BAD. COMING BACK THE OCEAN WAS LITERALLY LIKE GLASS. IT WAS ALMOST CREEPY AS I NEVER KNEW THE OCEAN COULD BE THAT FLAT. OTHER THAN THAT TIME, WE'VE GONE EARLY IN THE SEASON FOUR OTHER TIMES. ONE TIME I KNOW IT WAS BUMPY COMING BACK BUT I THINK THE OTHER TRIPS HAVE ALL BEEN GOOD.

I typed in caps to identify the answers in contrast to the questions. I hope it doesn't come across as yelling. It's not meant that way if it does.

I have been on several "first cruises of the season" and never experienced any service issues. The only delays I have expericened were when it was the first time ever in port for ship I was on but the delays were not that bad. The main issue was with the workers at the port and organizational issues. This happened when the Dawn made its firt cruise into NY and the Jewell into Barcalona but it was nothing serious.

Hello...looking to sail on the Spirit next year from Boston to Bermuda. Thinking about the first cruise of the season (May 1). Are there generally service issues on the first run of the season? I know the ship sails continuously but do they generally time contracts to end when there is an itinerary change? Will there be an influx of new staff?

Thanks.

The employee contracts do not expire at the same time they are staggered purposely to help in limiting any flaws in service issues. Also most often the contracts are renewed.

It's the employee's that requested not to renew in order to go home (homesick for family) or their being re assigned to another ship (possibly promo) or of course fired.

Only additional suggestion I have is to check for Easter Sunday...we were there for ONE DAY...guess which one?? Everything was closed!! (well, almost everything!) I don't have a calendar handy for next year so I can't tell you.

Relax and enjoy!! It's a lovely place to visit.

Hi Discjoker,

We cruised on the Dawn to Bermuda end of April 2008. It was the Dawn's first cruise to Bermuda(ours too), and tho at times they didn't know answers to questions we asked, they always got back to us quickly with the answers.

I hope the Spirit docks at King's Wharf for the entire time you are in Bermuda--it is sooo great not to have to use the tenders. We were supposed to do that, but then they changed the itinerary and we spent two days at Hamilton. Very nice but kind of a pain with the tendering, although it was very organized. If you have an excursion planned, just make sure you get tender tix early so that you can get off the boat in time.

The trip to Bermuda was extremely rough, they had to close the pool at times because the water was coming right out of the pool...however, I think it was because of the many storms around, although it never rained.

Bermuda's "season" starts in May, so you should have a pretty nice time! We loved Bermuda!! It's so easy to get around with the busses and ferries-you can get an inexpensive pass that includes both. They recommend that you do not rent the scooters because they have had so many fatalities the last few years.

The beaches are gorgeous...we went to Horseshoe Bay and snorkeled and swam. Also Snorkel Park at Dockyard is very nice and has great snorkeling. It was a little chilly when we went, but it was April, sooo...

The people are wonderful, polite and friendly, and very helpful. We did not see nearly everything that we wanted to, so we'll just have to wait until next time.

Hopefully planning to go to the Bahamas in April on the Gem...but we'll see.

the day i got off the spirit...dec 9th, of '07...so did over 100 crewmembers, even the captain. between vacation time, going to new ships (the captain went on vacation then took over the gem?) that was in the middle of thier western caribe run. even time the ship docks. some crewmembers change.

the only "new" issues would be supplies and delivery issues.

We did have some service issues on our cruise on the Jewel in November, 2006. It happened to be the first Caribbean sailing that year, but the majority of the problems seemed to stem more from the fact that the "cream of the crop" from the crew had been transferred to the brand-new Pearl.

I don't know that I'd worry terribly about it.

Archived