Zuiderdam Review 7/7-7/19GREECE/TURKEY

rebeccalouise

The ship was perfect for a Greece and Turkey Cruise. Just the right size. I highly recommend a balcony cabin, preferrabley on the port side because you get more shade there and you have the better view sailing out of Venice (and the lesser view sailing back into Venice). We had a mini-suite, stateroom 8054 and it was pleanty big for two people! What a great room. We thoroughly enjoyed having this space and liked the midship location. Only one deck up to the pool and lido buffet where we spend the bulk of our time.

Staff was friendly and attentive. Ship was in good shape. The interior of the ship on deck's 2 and 3 were blah and nothing special but this really didn't impact our port intensive cruise. We spent most of our time by the pool or explorers lounge or in the lido and our stateroom and balcony.

Drink prices were reasonable but it is smart to ask for the house wine ($5). Food was good. Pinnacle was great. Main dingroom was tight. Felt claustopobic. Chairs too heavy. Only dined there once. Food was good.

Marc (7) and I like to dine casually and I only dressed up twice. The rest of the time we either got food from the buffet and took it to our cabin or ordered room service. We really like eating on the balcony for breakfast and dinner and by the pool for lunch.

Pools were freshwater. The lido pool is for kids but there were kids in the aft pool and I think that passengers should respect the rules and that the crew should enforce them. There should be an attendent at the lido pool when there are 230 kids onboard. Some older kids were doing dangerours things and parents were absent or inattentive at times- making it hard to watch.

If I had it to do over....

I wouldn't have used the ship tours. I am just not a pack animal and hate the restrictions of time. Some of the guides had irritating voices or gave sales pitches. I like more flexibility of time.

We did not get offthe ship in Split or Pireus so can't help with these.

ISTANBUL

Taxis to and from Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace are plentiful. All these sites are in one drop off location. the Cisterns are not to be missed. the Grand Bazaar is in close proximity to the port also. You could easily do these things via taxi for under 100 Euros. Don't bother with a tour. You willsee more on your own. There are guidebooks at all the sights for a reasonable price and they make nice souveniers.

Kusadasi:

Unless you go off season, expect crowds and heat. A taxi will cost about 100 Euros. Get a tourbook at the entrance and do your own thing. It is unbearable to stand in the heat, moving at a snail's pace listening to someone speak in a squeeky turkish accent. The terrace houses are not to be missed.

Turkey was my favorite place on the trip.

Mykonos: I walked into town- which I don't recommend! No shoulder and hairpin turns. Bad idea. The town itself was a bore. I would make this a beach day. there is anice beach to the left of the port. You can see it from the ship.

Santorini

I have been there before and it is lovely. Unfortuneately, there were five ships there so I didn't bother to go up the cable car, since I was there last year. But it is worth going to the top.

Katolakon

We took a taxi to Olympia and it was 90 euros. Well worth a visit.

Venice:

In our case we decided to do an overnight in Vencie becasue they were having their annual fireworks display for tthat reason we stayed in St. Mark's and used the vaporetto from the ship. It was convenienet and is 6 Euros per person and 3 euors for large suitcases. So we paid 18 euros.

I would never recommend staying in St. Mark's though. It isnot convenient. I knew this going in. I would always suggest staying in Piazzle Roma at the Sofitel or Santa chiarra or one of the others that don'n't require going over large bridges. Just easier and quieter.

The only other thing I would gdo different is buy the ships unlimited laundry for $72 dollars. It is worth it if you intend to pack light. we sent laundry out twice and spent more than that. Just sign up for it and take advantage of it.

We really enjoyed our cruise. Marc gave Club HAL (THE YOUTH PROGRAM) a 10 and I have no real complaints. It was a great cruise!

Thank you for posting your review. It sounds like you and your son had a great time. I followed your "Live from the Zuiderdam" thread and found it very interesting. I am on this same cruise beginning Sept. 5 from Barcelona and doing the whole 24 days. I was especially happy that you liked your cabin. We are in 8048-a few doors down from yours so I was happy to hear you liked the suite.

The wait seems forever.

Thanks again.

Terri

Archived