Culinary Arts Center

ScottC4746

On a week cruise there will be two hands-on classes ($29 pp) and at least two free demonstrations in the Culinary Arts Ctr. The classes may be very hands-on, or not much more than close-up limited-attendance demos, depending on the chef giving it. Each will do one entree recipe and one soup, salad, side or dessert recipe. My DW and DD enoyed they class they attended. In theirs, the chef started/demonstrated each step of the preparation and then turned it over to a student to complete.

The free demos will also do two recipes, but both may be of the soup/salad/side/dessert type.

On a week cruise there will be two hands-on classes ($29 pp) and at least two free demonstrations in the Culinary Arts Ctr. The classes may be very hands-on, or not much more than close-up limited-attendance demos, depending on the chef giving it. Each will do one entree recipe and one soup, salad, side or dessert recipe. My DW and DD enoyed they class they attended. In theirs, the chef started/demonstrated each step of the preparation and then turned it over to a student to complete.

The free demos will also do two recipes, but both may be of the soup/salad/side/dessert type.

$29 is not bad for classes.

If you're interested, go to the Front Desk as soon as you board to sign-up, as with just 12 people per class they fill quickly. Thr F.D. will have the recipes to be done, and the early birds get to choose.

I have only attended a free demo on Zuiderdam at which they did two recipes, a soup and an appetizer. Samples were passed out to everyone. There were several screens around the room so it was very easy to watch.

This was my first time attending a food demo and I'm glad I went to it. In Dec. I'll be on Oosterdam with 3 sea days. This is an activity I'm looking forward to doing. Get there early, seats go fast.

I did the first class on the Eurodam during the inaugural. For the $29 you receive a Food and Wine apron, the recipes, and the class, so a pretty good deal. Sign up early. As this was a brand new ship, it was a little unorganized and the kitchen was lacking some basics (only 2 burners were working, no pot holders, little things like that) Our chef was Ani from the Pinnacle Grill and their were only 7 of us so we had plenty of room. He had done alot of the prep work, but we chopped and mixed etc in teams of 2 or 3 then we would watch the other team do their part of their dish as Ani explained and gave tips etc. At the end we went to the Pinnacle where it was plated and served to us with wine, so it was a nice event. We made an Alsatian ham and Gruyere salad, Potato Galette, and Chicken Provencal, he premade the souffle as there would not have been time to do it too. The next class did not goes as well from what I understand, a different chef, not as prepared etc, but again, it was all new to them on that trip..........I would do it again on a future cruise......

I did the first class on the Eurodam during the inaugural. For the $29 you receive a Food and Wine apron, the recipes, and the class, so a pretty good deal. Sign up early. As this was a brand new ship, it was a little unorganized and the kitchen was lacking some basics (only 2 burners were working, no pot holders, little things like that) Our chef was Ani from the Pinnacle Grill and their were only 7 of us so we had plenty of room. He had done alot of the prep work, but we chopped and mixed etc in teams of 2 or 3 then we would watch the other team do their part of their dish as Ani explained and gave tips etc. At the end we went to the Pinnacle where it was plated and served to us with wine, so it was a nice event. We made an Alsatian ham and Gruyere salad, Potato Galette, and Chicken Provencal, he premade the souffle as there would not have been time to do it too. The next class did not goes as well from what I understand, a different chef, not as prepared etc, but again, it was all new to them on that trip..........I would do it again on a future cruise......

I love gourmet cooking so this is up my alley.

DW and DMIL just attended the sign-up class on the Westerdam, and were wait-listed at first, having signed up at the Front Desk at about 5:00 p.m. on the first afternoon of the cruise. When later reading the daily cruise schedule, it appeared that the Culinary Arts Center had an "open house" during embarkation, from approximately 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., and this would have been the best time and place to sign up, as there is typically a long line of people with questions at the Front Desk during embarkation.

DW and DMIL were disappointed that all of the dishes (three kinds of paella) prepared at their class contained pork, but they enjoyed the content of the class.

DW and DMIL were disappointed that all of the dishes (three kinds of paella) prepared at their class contained pork, but they enjoyed the content of the class.
Didn't they look over the recipes to be done before signing up?

On the Glacier Bay itinerary we just completed there was only one reservations-only class, and we didn't ask the Front Desk for the menu.

This would be another good reason to sign up for the class at the CAC's open house and not at the Front Desk.

The menu did refer to three kinds of "paella", but that was not necessarily a warning that all three formulations of the dish would contain pork.

My DW and I attended one and we are very good cooks. for us it was disappointing. You work as a group, not individually, so don't epect to learn all the steps, time was too short, very simple recipes. The cooking demonstrations are better. No special skills passed on or tricks of the trade.

My DW and I attended one and we are very good cooks. for us it was disappointing. You work as a group, not individually, so don't epect to learn all the steps, time was too short, very simple recipes. The cooking demonstrations are better. No special skills passed on or tricks of the trade.

It still sounds fun.

I have read where some people loved the classes and others hated it.

When you sign up at the front office for the classes you are shown what is to be prepared for the class you sign up.

Some have reported they actually made something in the class and they got to eat it.

Then others have reported that the chef in charge practically did all the work and had the passengers just measure and do a simple few things.

You can never tell before hand what a class will be like.

I have read where some people loved the classes and others hated it.

When you sign up at the front office for the classes you are shown what is to be prepared for the class you sign up.

Some have reported they actually made something in the class and they got to eat it.

Then others have reported that the chef in charge practically did all the work and had the passengers just measure and do a simple few things.

You can never tell before hand what a class will be like.

Perhaps get to know the chef/instructor ahead of time and let them know you skill level or limits in the kitchen...maybe you can be an assistant while he chats.

This would be another good reason to sign up for the class at the CAC's open house and not at the Front Desk.

The menu did refer to three kinds of "paella", but that was not necessarily a warning that all three formulations of the dish would contain pork.

The front desk has the recipes, which list all the ingredients.

Are the two classes different? i.e. could one sign up for both classes, or do they make the same thing twice?
Different

The classes offered are different. On ours, we prepared a pollenta and goat cheese appetizer and 3 types of creme brulee. The chef did not prepare anything, it was all up to us to cut, dice, cook, and of course, eat what we prepared. You had to decide who was going to do the different preps for the dish. The class is held in the culinary center.

can you sign up with the consierge?

You can -- BUT -- sometimes the concierges get so busy that they don't have time to call right away to the front desk to sign you up. And then you might be disappointed if the class is filled.

Also -- so far -- the concierges have not had what is being made in the classes so you take a risk of signing up for class for something that you may not be interested in since the classes do vary.

I did a "hands on" in May on the "O". It was a highlight. We had wine, quiche, pita chips (toasted) with salsa, dessert consisting of caramelized pineapple over ice cream (pineapple had been flambed~). Everyone had a job...chopping, whisking eggs, mixing whatever, pouring wine. The chef was a young man from Toronto and he was lively and fun...Brad, I think. We each had a "chef's hat" (paper) and a nice apron (cloth) which we took home. I would do it again in a minute. On another day, I just observed a Pinnacle Grill chef make their chocolate volcano cake and each person in the audience (this show was no charge) received a small ramekin of the cake. The initial class above I believe was $40 and there were maybe 8 participants.

Hi All,

DH and I enjoyed the Culinary Arts Demo with Pinnacle Grill Chef Scott Robertson very much on the Volendam. The demo was Chilled Raspberry Soup and a Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Ice Wine Sorbet. I was happy that I had signed up on embarkation for actual class which was later in the week and during that class we got together in groups and worked on three separate Indian vegetarian dishes. It was fabulous. We did sample our work. As an added perk we were given our chef hats and Culinary Arts aprons along with the recipes for the dishes that we made. Chef Scott did instruct as we went along providing tips and checking our progress. It was an experience that I would happily repeat.

Archived