Convince me to keep our Eurodam reservations...

maxxboy

We've been Royal Caribbean customers for some time, but the looks of the Eurodam and the great service and food we've heard about on HAL made us try a change. So we booked an SC on the Eurodam in December. Looking at photos of an SC on the Westerdam (which I have read is the same as the Eurodam with different decor) I see they are about the same size of a Junior Suite on RCI (at a significantly higher price). We usually book Grand Suites (for less $$) on RCI, so it is disappointing to see we're paying a lot more for a smaller suite on HAL.

So is this great service and food we've heard about HAL THAT much better that it will be worth having less "suite" while paying more? Is there anything else that HAL offers to justify the higher price? Thanks!

If you go back to the thread where you stated that you thought that HAL's suites were far smaller than those you're accustomed to on RCI - you'll see that I posted a specific comparison of the space based on my measurements of my Deck 5 SC aboard Eurodam.

Bear in mind that HAL ships are much smaller than RCI's - therefore the increased cost.

You have made the right decision I'm sure. I see why size is seemingly important to you.....you say and your partner like to spend a lot of time in your stateroom. What ever size you get I'm sure it will be more than adequate to satisfy your needs. Have a great cruise and yes come back and tell us about it.

Hi Paul:

Not to change the subject, but, how was your tour and lunch

onboard the Eurodam June 27th??

Barb and Bob

Many good points have been made on both sides. I just traveled on Noordam and signed up for a Baltic cruise on Eurodam for next June from Copenhagen to St. Petersburg.

Never been on Royal Caribbean but traveled with Celebrity many times and loved it. Why I loved HAL more .... fewer announcements, nobody trying to sell me anything, ...don't drink alcohol and felt very comfortable on Noordam sitting in any lounge day or night and enjoy the music without the pressure of buying a drink.. more educational experiences, including wonderful lectures on the cruise, very educational, excellent food, as good but not better than Celebrity. Wait staff and cabin stewards top notch. Same feeling from the Phillipine staff on Celebrity, warm, kind and ready to do anything we needed. Just lovely.

I would go on Celebrity again, but I found the Sky Suite to be the same size and pretty much same configuration as a VC balcony room on HAL and for my last cruise, Roman Empire, 10 days Rome to Rome traveling the Eastern Med, HAL was half the price. Only difference is the butler service and I was willing to give that up (do love it though.)

RE: excursions. I felt I got much more for my money on the excursions on HAL. They really are not marking up the tours much, I don't think. The overall feeling on the ship was very relaxed and high end.

Only real complaint ... I missed on arrival, the champagne and orange juice that Celebrity provides. And not having a suite with priority embarkation, getting on in Rome took many hours with only small cups of water for refreshments. But once on the ship, it could not have been better!

P.S. I live in Cozumel and two old friends arrived this past week on a Royal Caribbean ship to visit me. One of the woman complained about the food. The other said it was fine, but on both HAL and Celebrity, I would never call the food fine, more like great.

Hi Paul:

Not to change the subject, but, how was your tour and lunch

onboard the Eurodam June 27th??

Barb and Bob

Sorry for not coming back earlier to you. The tour and lunch on Eurodam was excellent. The ship was amazing and so very different in many ways compared with other HAL ships we have been on. We loved the modern look and contemporary styling. The food was exceptional. We ate in the Lido restaurant partly due to the fact that the food on display looked so magnificent and enticing and also because there was a free bar set up next to a table we chose to sit down at. Two of the young Filipino bar stewards looking after the free bar had formally admirably looked after us on a March Caribbean cruise on the Veendam. They instantly recognised us with big welcoming smiles. We never had an empty glass after that for the three hours we were there. We recognised about half a dozen crew members. The four guests with us were so impressed with everything and are still talking about their day on the Eurodam. You'll love it when you get on board.

Paul

We are going to do a transatlantic on the Eurodam in a suite next April, if she's too much for us we'll go back to the S and R class which we really love, and BTW the Noordam was just perfect, couldn't find anything to complain about if we searched for it. It's just a matter of personal taste.

Good luck in your choosing,

GN

Hi Myra:

Come back over to the Eurodam Roll Call when you get a moment....

also, please send me an offline e-mail, I wanted to

share some Harwich itinerary with you.

Thanks,

Barb blyng@bellsouth.net

Sorry for not coming back earlier to you. The tour and lunch on Eurodam was excellent. The ship was amazing and so very different in many ways compared with other HAL ships we have been on. We loved the modern look and contemporary styling. The food was exceptional. We ate in the Lido restaurant partly due to the fact that the food on display looked so magnificent and enticing and also because there was a free bar set up next to a table we chose to sit down at. Two of the young Filipino bar stewards looking after the free bar had formally admirably looked after us on a March Caribbean cruise on the Veendam. They instantly recognised us with big welcoming smiles. We never had an empty glass after that for the three hours we were there. We recognised about half a dozen crew members. The four guests with us were so impressed with everything and are still talking about their day on the Eurodam. You'll love it when you get on board.

Paul

Thanks for the update, Paul.

Barb and Bob

10 cents:

1. Cancel your Eurodam reservation!

2. Book a RCI cruise and a Grand Suite instead!

3. Enjoy your cruise without added stress and painful headaches!

We just got off Eurodam and a SS (not as big as a SC) - We like her and won't hesitate sailing her again! (We've sailed RCCL/RCI a total of fourteen times but not recently) It's obvious that the comparison between your Eurodam SC and RCI's Royal Suite weighs heavy on your mind. Do the right thing (for you) and have a great RCI cruise!:) Life's too short~

Great advice, Copper John.

It seems that maxx is happy with RCCI...if I were him, I'd stick with the cruiseline in his comfort zone.

Archived