Convince me to keep our Eurodam reservations...

maxxboy

We've been Royal Caribbean customers for some time, but the looks of the Eurodam and the great service and food we've heard about on HAL made us try a change. So we booked an SC on the Eurodam in December. Looking at photos of an SC on the Westerdam (which I have read is the same as the Eurodam with different decor) I see they are about the same size of a Junior Suite on RCI (at a significantly higher price). We usually book Grand Suites (for less $$) on RCI, so it is disappointing to see we're paying a lot more for a smaller suite on HAL.

So is this great service and food we've heard about HAL THAT much better that it will be worth having less "suite" while paying more? Is there anything else that HAL offers to justify the higher price? Thanks!

We have done only one RCI cruise and were not impressed with them -- that was many years ago.

As for prices -- every time we thought we would give them a second chance -- we looked at their prices and HAL's -- RCI was very expensive compared to what we get for an SA on HAL.

10 cents:

1. Cancel your Eurodam reservation!

2. Book a RCI cruise and a Grand Suite instead!

3. Enjoy your cruise without added stress and painful headaches!

We just got off Eurodam and a SS (not as big as a SC) - We like her and won't hesitate sailing her again! (We've sailed RCCL/RCI a total of fourteen times but not recently) It's obvious that the comparison between your Eurodam SC and RCI's Royal Suite weighs heavy on your mind. Do the right thing (for you) and have a great RCI cruise!:) Life's too short~

I'd agree with John (Copper 10-8) - if you feel you're getting more bang for your buck on RCI, then you should follow your instinct & have another great cruise with them.

We've had a couple cruises booked & then cancelled because our gut feeling was telling us something - either the price/value wasn't there, or the ship/itinerary wasn't doing it for us. Go with what you feel best - there'll always be more chances to try HAL :)

What kind of atmosphere or ambiance are you looking for? We used to sail Royal and liked it but it's not for us now.

We've sailed HAL exclusively since 2002 and feel very much at home on every HAL ship we've been on.

Consider this: If you're sailing with children and/or looking for the rock climbing/ice skating type activities, then HAL is probably not for you.

If you want quiet elegance, few PA announcements, premium service, concierge type amenities, ocean liner feel, fresh flowers, real towels in the public rest rooms, heavenly beds, and experienced travel companions, maybe you should give HAL a try.

We really enjoyed RCI before the more mass market activities and facilities were added but now the ships are too big, too noisy, and too too for us.

Your wants and likes maybe very different. Why don't you explore this line of thought. We all pay a lot of money to cruise and we should buy what we want. We even notice the difference in the classes of HAL ships. We are going to do a transatlantic on the Eurodam in a suite next April, if she's too much for us we'll go back to the S and R class which we really love, and BTW the Noordam was just perfect, couldn't find anything to complain about if we searched for it. It's just a matter of personal taste.

Good luck in your choosing,

GN

10 cents:

We just got off Eurodam and a SS (not as big as a SC) - We like her and won't hesitate sailing her again! (We've sailed RCCL/RCI a total of fourteen times but not recently) It's obvious that the comparison between your Eurodam SC and RCI's Royal Suite weighs heavy on your mind. Do the right thing (for you) and have a great RCI cruise!:) Life's too short~

I'd agree with you. Good to see an OBJECTIVE recommendation.

Grannynurse-

You described HAL to a "T". All the reasons we enjoy HAL so much.

We tried Princess thinking we were getting more bang for our buck, but were disappointed. One of the reasons we did it was thinking the teenager would have more fun, but even he felt that HAL did it much better.

:confused: Why would you want us to convince you? I wouldn't dream of trying.

Your money, your vacation, your time......your choice.

Have fun whichever ship you sail.

:confused: Why would you want us to convince you? I wouldn't dream of trying.

Your money, your vacation, your time......your choice.

Have fun whichever ship you sail.

My sentiments exactly.

It's easy to avoid the blame game when you see that joker played.:cool:

We've been Royal Caribbean customers for some time, but the looks of the Eurodam and the great service and food we've heard about on HAL made us try a change. So we booked an SC on the Eurodam in December. Looking at photos of an SC on the Westerdam (which I have read is the same as the Eurodam with different decor) I see they are about the same size of a Junior Suite on RCI (at a significantly higher price). We usually book Grand Suites (for less $$) on RCI, so it is disappointing to see we're paying a lot more for a smaller suite on HAL.

So is this great service and food we've heard about HAL THAT much better that it will be worth having less "suite" while paying more? Is there anything else that HAL offers to justify the higher price? Thanks!

Pitch me a tent on the helo pad and I would be happy. I also am a many times RCI cruiser and always book a JS or GS. But I am giving HAL and the Eurodam a chance. RCI is just getting to look way to much like Vegas to suit me. A few sq.ft less or more is not going to make my cruise less exciting. I must have a balcony though.

When I was researching ships before I decided on a HAL deluxe suite, somebody on another website compared suite perks from one cruiseline to another and HAL left the other premium and mass market lines in the dust. And HAL isn't even the most expensive either. It was a no brainer for me.

Just did a Junior suite on an RCI cruise (Grandeur to Bermuda). It was fine for the 5 days, but felt about 50% smaller than a HAL S.

Oh, wait....it is.

Apples

Oranges

If you are seriously looking for reasons to opt out, Copper nailed it.

Cheers

Mark

When I was researching ships before I decided on a HAL deluxe suite, somebody on another website compared suite perks from one cruiseline to another and HAL left the other premium and mass market lines in the dust. And HAL isn't even the most expensive either. It was a no brainer for me.

Just wait until you experience an HAL crew! HAL's biggest and best asset. The ships are gorgeous, comfortable, the itineraries good, food excellent (most of the time) but the crews....... the BEST.

I would no more tell you to keep your reservation on the Eurodam then I would expect you to talk me into going on RC. I've tried them a couple of times and was not very happy with anything, except I will say the room was large, we booked a family suite. So maxxboy switch back to RC if that makes you feel more comfortable and have a great cruise.

From cruisestaterooms.com:

Eurodam:

Deluxe Verandah Suite

King sized bed that may convert into two twin beds, private bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath and shower with additional shower stall, hairdryer, floor-to-ceiling windows that open to a private balcony, large sitting area with sofa bed, flat-screen TV, DVD player, safety deposit box, multi-channel music and telephone. Enjoy additional suite amenities including, complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning services, exclusive use of Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service, premium duvet, oversized bath towels, soft cotton bathrobes and slippers, gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night, fresh flowers, hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request, complimentary use of binoculars and umbrella, priority boarding for tender ports of call, priority dining and seating requests, high tea service in suite, cocktail party with ship's officers and exclusive daily breakfast service.

Approximately 380 square feet plus 136 square foot balcony

Freedom OTS:

Grand Ocean View Suite

Features two twin beds that convert to a queen-sized bed, a private balcony, sitting area (some with sofa bed), private bathroom with tub and shower, vanity area, minibar, closed-circuit TV, minisafe, radio, phone, and a hairdryer. Suite also includes access to the Concierge Club lounge and services.

Average size: stat.= 381; balcony= 95 sq ft.

10 cents:

totally agree with law enforcement:eek:

if you need convincing, stay where you are:)

Can't really understand the reason for the question regarding which ship has the bigger suites. Size doesn't always matter you know!!

I travel Royal twice a year when circumnavigating the Atlantic. Four weeks every year, it's a form of transport for us as we would rather not have the hassle of flying. For transport Royal Caribbean is excellent. We have Diamond status which entitles us to Concierge Lounge facilities although we normally travel in a Grand or Junior Suite which are both very comfortable.

Now for a real vacation experience we would not consider anything other than HAL. Even if the cabins/suites were that bit smaller, and I'm not sure that they are, so what. The ambience on a HAL ship is so superior to anything else. As already said elsewhere the staff are just so special. The wonderful blend of Filipino and Indonesian crew supported so admirably by mostly Dutch officers is one of the cruise line's delights and a major asset to them. We still keep in contact(via e-mail) with many of the HAL boys and girls we have met over the years.

All I can say is, do what you think is best for you, but if you want to enjoy what all of us on this thread have been enjoying for years, you have to book the Eurodam.

Good luck....for all of us it's a no brainer. Tell us what you're going to do.

Thanks for the replies, especially to grannynurse and to Paul 123for sharing what they like about HAL and what makes it special.

My partner and I talked about the cruise last night and decided to stay with the Eurodam. We spend a lot of time in our stateroom, so that's why the size was a concern. LOL! I think I was more concerned than he was! But he reminded me of that great balcony we'll have and that we'll be on the newest and most modern ship HAL has to offer. So the Eurodam it is!

Thanks again folks!

We were on the Freedom of the Seas in December in a Grand Suite. My Holland America experience is limited to the Statendam - way back in 95 or 96 - in an S suite. The Statendam is still remembered as our favorite cruise, and our favorite cabin. I'm not sure how much of this is the 'first cruise syndrome'! We have an Alaskan cruise scheduled on the Westerdam next May, so guess I'll find out!

I'll compare the two as far as I can recollect...

I think the S cabin on the Statendam is larger than the Grand Suite. However, looking at pictures of the Vista class (and Eurodam), it looks like the SA, SB, SC cabins are a little smaller (and smaller balcony) than the S cabins on the S class ships. The balconies on the Vista Class ship don't seem to be as deep as the S class. BUT they are the same size or larger than the Grand Suite balcony on the Freedom. It does look like the SC's at the back of the ship may be smaller; the trade-off is the balcony. The inside of the Grand Suite is nice, but I thought the deck furniture was pretty cheesy for a suite.

The concierge lounge on the Freedom does have one benefit the Neptune doesn't, and that's the free cocktails every night for a couple of hours. I used the lounge a lot for coffee all day, but was only in there once for cocktail hour. I haven't been in a Neptune yet, but have heard it has two concierges, as opposed to the RCI's one...so I'm assuming there's more service on HAL.

Another difference I remember is the crew. On the Statendam I remember being amazed at how the steward knew we were gone and snuck in so fast to clean. I loved how unobtrusive any kind of service was. (I'm one of those that always feels guilty about someone cleaning up after me!) On RCCL, I think their training is to be more 'chatty'. Sometimes that's nice, but sometimes you just want them to go away so you can relax. On Freedom, I felt more 'chewed out' by the steward (i.e. not putting the card in the door saying we were out, moving things in the room,etc) when we weren't adhering to 'schedule'.

We did the Freedom as a big family cruise, and it was perfect for that. You can't beat the multitude of things to do onboard - especially for kids. But for just us, or a few couples for scenic, port intensive, or relaxing cruises - I'd definitely pick Holland America.

Sorry for going on....but as for the Grand Suite vs. a Deluxe Veranda Suite on HAL....I still like HAL better. The Grand Suite has that island/bar area...while it's nice....I'd rather have that room for more area around the couch and chairs.

Looking at RCl website, the Grand Suites are between 400 and 450 sq ft (including balcony).

The SC on the Eurodam is 510 sq ft minimum but may be up to 700 sq ft (including balcony)

Forgot to add that RCI's junior suites are only 280 sq ft or so....and balcony has to be less than 100; so an SC on HAL should definitely be bigger than RCI's junior suite.

Price comparison...Grand Suite on Freedom (Caribbean, December) is exactly the same price as HAL's SA suite for May, Alaska on Westerdam. Both kind of 'low' seasons for their locations; but I thought generally Alaska is a bit higher than the Caribbean - so I would give the price edge to HAL. If the Eurodam is higher, it's because it's brand new.

Thanks for the replies, especially to grannynurse and to Paul 123for sharing what they like about HAL and what makes it special.

My partner and I talked about the cruise last night and decided to stay with the Eurodam. We spend a lot of time in our stateroom, so that's why the size was a concern. LOL! I think I was more concerned than he was! But he reminded me of that great balcony we'll have and that we'll be on the newest and most modern ship HAL has to offer. So the Eurodam it is!

Thanks again folks!

You have made the right decision I'm sure. I see why size is seemingly important to you.....you say and your partner like to spend a lot of time in your stateroom. What ever size you get I'm sure it will be more than adequate to satisfy your needs. Have a great cruise and yes come back and tell us about it.

Archived