Such Thing As Too Old To Cruise?

VampyBuff

I am bringing my 87 year old mother on her first cruise in May. It is a repo on Princess from San Juan to NY. My husband passed away in December and she suggested it as she knew how much we loved to travel. I will let you all know if she is too old to cruise when we get back!!!!

Marj and I are on that cruise! We can't wait. Be sure to join the roll call thread for this cruise, unless you already have and I somehow missed you.

• 2 weeks later...

The cruising is not so bad. I hope to have 30 more years (62:o now) but those darn airplane trips are already a pain! We like exotics -- read really far away where we have not been before--so getting to the start line is a problem. We were in Tampa last week and saw the Grandeur of the Seas going out. I tried to hook my rowboat to the tail but DH said NO! Any day on a cruise is better than land! Scooters are pretty great on the ship but can you use them on the land excursions?

• 1 month later...

in 10 yrs of cruising were a couple in their early 90s we were early 50s at the time and had a ball with them.. In our 60s now and we travel w/ another couple the same age bought margaritaville t shirts that read "growing older, but not up!"

• 4 weeks later...
I think that is really neat. My Mom is 83 and my Dad is 88. It is a bit harder for Mom then it is for Dad but they love cruising so for the last eight years, we have tried to take a cruise. My Husband and twin sister go too. I love the memories we have created.

Carol

Update. We took our last cruise November 09. Mom passed away in June and Dad passed away 20 days later. The cruises we took are one of my fondest memories of all of us together. If you still have your Mom and Dad, create as many memories as time allows.

So I'm 23 and going with my 76 yo godmother on RCCL's Liberty of the Seas end of August.

I'm a little worried though...I mean, she can walk and everything like that but does anyone think she'd feel out of place or anything? It's kinda strange how I really can't recall what the age demographic has been on my more recent cruises. I guess I'm just more oblivious than I thought!

Went with my mother at 80+ a couple of years ago and she loved it! Everything is accessible and she will enjoy being able to see everything without a lot of effort. Good for you for taking her!

Update. We took our last cruise November 09. Mom passed away in June and Dad passed away 20 days later. The cruises we took are one of my fondest memories of all of us together. If you still have your Mom and Dad, create as many memories as time allows.

Wow, got teary eyed reading this! Quite touching.

I don't believe there is any such thing as being too old to cruise. A year ago April it was my in-laws 60th anniversary. DFIL had been diagnosed with liver cancer six years before and he was definitely near the end. BUT he kept insisting that he wanted to go on a 3 day cruise to celebrate their BIG event! We tried to just ignore his pleas, but he kept insisting, so DH and I plus DH's sis and her hubby planned the trip. We waited until just a month out and there were no handi-cap cabins available, and he was wheel-chair-bound, but he insisted we book him a regular oceanview cabin anyway. We all took turns pushing him everywhere. His folding wheel chair would not get through the cabin door so we would fold it up right at his door and he would use his cane to negotiate the cabin, with some help from mom and us.

The three day cruise had two ports, Nassau and Coco Cay and my FIL & MIL never left the ship at either port. But he was able to enjoy all the meals in the main dining room or buffet. He especially loved the attention he got at our nightly family dinners and even attended the nightly entertainment, although at home he usually went to bed before 7 pm. Our parents really enjoyed the ship while we younger folks went ashore, too. The ship's officers were wonderful and several spent time chatting with our 85 year old WWII veteran dad and even would help push his chair! We thought they might win the oldest anniversary couple on the cruise, but there was another couple celebrating their 65th anniversary!

He only lived a little over a month more, but we were all so happy that we could give him this last cruise that he so wanted to take and be able to accompany him, as well. It was blessing for all of us.[/quot

Savor life! And don't get in the way of someone else wanting to do the same just because of their age!:)

Archived