Two questions

LIV 2 CRUISE

I do not know how to swim (thinking of learning before my next cruise, but I would still be a novice). Two questions:

1. Can you usually find a ship-sponsored excursion where you can just snorkel a little bit off shore only waist high or so? Do you actually see anything so close to shore? Can you wear swim shoes for such a thing?

2. Has anyone done the hermet diving? Do you think it would be fun for someone like me who does not swim? Or is it "jimmicky" and a waste of money?

Hey -- this is more like six questions!:p

I would not attempt the helmet dive as a non-swimmer. There is too great a chance for panic under the water. My mother-in-law does not swim and has enjoyed the submarine excursions at various ports. She also has snorkeled standing in shallow water. You can find information about shore snorkeling at various ports on this board, or look for ship's excursions that include beach time and snorkeling.

Snorkelling is so easy as long as you can relax and let yourself float. You float much easier in salt water. You do need to be able to use your arms to move yourself about in the water. My DH isn't a swimmer but we've snorkelled for years, most of our trips specifically for that purpose. Generally speaking, you snorkel in less than 12 feet of water because you can't really see much past that. You want to stand as little as possible so you don't bump into coral or muck up the water. I say go on a good snorkel trip. It's a beautiful relaxing adventure. You might want to practice with the mask, snorkel and fins before a trip but you shouldn't have any problem.

I agree, don't try the helmet "dive" (more of an underwater walk really) until you are comfortable in and under water. I heartily endorse your interest in learning to swim. Once you do that and gain a measure of confidence in the water, a whole new underwater world will be opened to you safely. Until you do that, you are taking a risk.

These types of questions are difficult to answer, I don't want to discourage you from getting in the water but you really should be careful about being in the ocean without at least some type of flotation device... After that kind of disclaimer....

1) in Grand Cayman they have stingray city. Basically it's a waist high sand bar where the stingrays come up and you can watch them glide through the water, interact with them and even hold them (if they're so inclined to let you). But normally there's not much in 3ft. or so of water and standing on a coral reef is a no-no (even though they look like rocks they're really living animals (wouldn't want someone standing on your dog or cat would you?)). You could consider other excurisions like glass bottom boats or a submarine ride if you really want to see what's living beneath the see. The Atlantis submarines, in most ports, are actually very cool. You sit in front of a large round window and the submarine goes down to 90 ft. or so but you're in air conditioned comfort viewing the sea life (I"ve done them several times).

2) I really wouldn't recommend a helmut dive. While you walk along the bottom, you do need to get in/out of a boat and this may require the ability to at least minimal swimming ability.

Why wait? Check out a local YMCA or health club. I know most offer adult swim lessons so go get trained and then it's a moot issue. :)

Good luck!

Randall

I don't mean to discourage you but in my humble personal and professional opinion non swimmers and watersports do not mix.The results can to often be very tragic.My advice is learn to swim and be comfortable in the water before you try snorkeling or helmet diving.Even though I consider myself to be a good swimmer (certified Rescue Diver and Dive Master) I still wear a snorkel vest just in case.You never know when someone may panic and come grab a hold of you.People can and do drown in 8-15 feet of water!Be safe and have fun.

Thanks everyone! I definitely plan to take the advice of most of you and first learn to swim and practice to feel comfortable with that. THEN think about snorkeling down the road a few cruises. Gee, that feels good saying, "down the road a few cruises." Who knows where I'll be in a few years?? As long as it's on a ship, I'll be okay ...

Take care everyone!

On ship snorkel excursions you will usually be issued a flotation vest. If you are a novice swimmer you can partially inflate the vest if you feel the need to do so. That being said, swimming in the ocean is significantly different from any experience one gets in a pool. In addition getting back aboard the boat can be challenging.

I'd suggest some swim lessons before you go. Then try a beach stop and just snorkel in shallow water. You may not see anything, but it will give you some experience and will let you judge when you might be ready to take on a snorkeling excursion.

In Grand Cayman there is an inexpensive snorkeling excursion that uses a glass bottom boat near shore, visiting a small reef and a wreck. The waters are generally fairly calm.

In St John, a ferry ride from St Thomas, Trunk Bay offers equipment rentals and an underwater trail (it's a national park). But you need to be a competent swimmer to follow the trail. On St Thomas there is snorkeling off Coki Beach.

My only experience snorkeling in Cozumel was open water and I wouldn't suggest it for a novice swimmer.

I took an off-shore snorkeling excursion in Antigua where the reef was less than 2' under the surface in places. This is actually harder to navigate than those in slightly deeper waters. As others have noted one shouldn't touch the coral and the seas were quite choppy in the shallower sections. Sadly a very destructive type of sea urchin has infested this reef.

• 3 months later...
Hi BRoberts -

I'm researching snorkeling in Antigua. Which company did you use where the reef was only 2' under you. I want to avoid that because my husband won't go near it especially if the water is choppy.

I was on a 3 hour snorkel & swim ship excursion - Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Cruise. No idea who the operator was. There were no other boats around us, so it obviously wasn't a popular spot. The boat was a yellow hulled catamaran (no graphics) that was docked with a number of similar vessels.

Thanks everyone! I definitely plan to take the advice of most of you and first learn to swim and practice to feel comfortable with that. THEN think about snorkeling down the road a few cruises. Gee, that feels good saying, "down the road a few cruises." Who knows where I'll be in a few years?? As long as it's on a ship, I'll be okay ...

Take care everyone!

You can certainly learn to swim before your next cruise. Make it your New Year's resolution! :)

After becoming a confident swimmer, you'll find learning to snorkel is easy peasy!!!

Do it, there's a whole new world down there.

I learned to snorkel on my own in the ship's swimming pool during my very first cruise. The next day I was snorkeling over Cozumel's Columbia reef.

The only problem I had was taking in water because I was gripping the mouthpiece with my teeth. The snorkel guide quickly corrected that and I've been hooked ever since.

As previously mentioned, ALWAYS wear an inflatable vest.

Archived