Team Trivia Challenge ??

COLLEYBERRY

Trivia is at least once a day and sometimes twice a day on sea days. You normally have to have at least two on a team and no more than six. The cruise staff running the game will ask questions and your team writes the answers down. Sometimes there will be a theme to the trivia questions and sometimes they are just random. At the end, teams exchange answer sheets and grade each other. Team with most answers correct will win a prize. We've won HA T-shirts, mugs, tote bags, umbrellas, Dam dollars, and keychains.

Trvivia varies by ship.

We have been on ships when it is treated as only a daily trivia game and the team members varies and prizes are awarded at the end of each game.

Then we have been on ships where the trivia game was set up where the team at the end of so many days won a prize. Teams were set up and had to stay together as a group the entire cruise. The team that had the most points at the end of the cruise won the prize. We don't participate in this one as we did not want to always have to be locked in to play each day as some days the games were held while people were in port -- bad idea. And there would be times when we might have something else to do on the ship.

Trvivia varies by ship.

We have been on ships when it is treated as only a daily trivia game and the team members varies and prizes are awarded at the end of each game.

Then we have been on ships where the trivia game was set up where the team at the end of so many days won a prize. Teams were set up and had to stay together as a group the entire cruise. The team that had the most points at the end of the cruise won the prize. We don't participate in this one as we did not want to always have to be locked in to play each day as some days the games were held while people were in port -- bad idea. And there would be times when we might have something else to do on the ship.

Thanks Krazy Kruizers ( you are always most helpful to everyone on this site) .I would rather play on a daily rather than cruise basis as well.

When we were on the Noordam, I think they only played the "progressive" games on sea days or when we were at sea (early departure). Port days it was the win that day game.

Same when I was on Zuiderdam TA in March.

Bob

We got stuck with the Progressive Team Trivia recently, and didn't like it at all. If you miss a day, there is no way to catch up. It changed it from a fun thing to an obligation (didn't want to let our teammates down). Much better to stick with the daily winners.

Also of note is the Daily Quiz offered at the Explorations Cafe. You can pick up a quiz sheet of 15 or so questions after 9am - turn it in till about 2pm and see the daily winner's sheet posted in a frame after 3pm. Earliest and most correct is the winner. Decent prizes too.

On my first HAL cruise in 2000 I was delighted to find that trivia was a daily occurence. What fun as I happen to be a trivia nerd. Our most recent cruise was on the Statendam (Osaka-Kobe to Vancouver) and we had an excellent team. The prizes on this particular cruise were a tad tacky, but I play more for the glory than the prize. I can, however, claim to have a vast collection of HAL luggage tags.

The daily quiz was a race between me and another passenger with the same first name. We each won about 5 times and someone on my trivia team was taking side bets on which of us would win.

Team trivia is a great way to get to know new people. I have never experienced the progressive form and I hope I can avoid it in the future.

I agree.. think the progressive thing is a bad idea. Part of the problem is that they run trivia at times when the ship is in port. Don't want to have to give up port time to play.

We enjoy the heck out of it. And have met lots of fun people there as well as at pictionary, catch phrase etc..

Have experienced them reusing questions from previous trips though. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to come up w/ new questions.

Like others mentioned. the prizes aren't much but we play for the glory... almost 240 yrs of useless knowledge between the 4 of us.

Team Trivia is so much fun. People are so friendly. I usually go by myself and someone invites me to join their group. Often we plan on meeting again for the next game. I've only been to daily games no progressive games. I like Pictionary and Scategories also. I hope you give it a try.

I've yet to the progressive Team Trivia. I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this. There are 20 questions sometimes include a 2 part answer and there is usually at least 1 bonus question.

Some cruise staff are real hard asses about being the moderator. Such as they won't repeat questions more than twice and some will never repeat anything at the end. Others are much more pleasant.

We usually meet a lot of nice people and try to play with the same group each day. I normally don't really want the prizes and if we collect some we usually bring them the last day and give them away to some of the people that we have met.

DH says we can not bring home anther HAL coffee mug. I think of think it would be nice to get HAL points that you can trade in for nicer prizes at the end of the cruise.

DH loves to play the music trivia in the Northern Lights. I have to admit he's really good at it and one evening some other passenger got in his face and accused him of being a professional DJ since DH beat his team. I got kinda scared.:eek:

On my first HAL cruise in 2000 I was delighted to find that trivia was a daily occurence. What fun as I happen to be a trivia nerd. Our most recent cruise was on the Statendam (Osaka-Kobe to Vancouver) and we had an excellent team. The prizes on this particular cruise were a tad tacky, but I play more for the glory than the prize. I can, however, claim to have a vast collection of HAL luggage tags.

The daily quiz was a race between me and another passenger with the same first name. We each won about 5 times and someone on my trivia team was taking side bets on which of us would win.

Team trivia is a great way to get to know new people. I have never experienced the progressive form and I hope I can avoid it in the future.

:) You didn't google for answers by any chance???....I and an un-named female competitor raced daily via the net & google to see who could "google" the fastest and be 100% accurate....:) :D

I am a trivia fanatic. I always get a great team going and we try to play together every sea day. On port days not all can show up. However, on the last cruise I was on there were five teachers in my group of six. We had a "grudge" match going with another team. Between us we won almost all the games. During the main afternoon trivia prizes were silver photo frames, bucket hats, umbrellas, calculators, key chains, mugs, luggage tags and other mis'c "junk".

The evening trivia was a bit different. Not everyone could show up due to dinner hours so instead of 25 teams there might be 5 or 6. There was generally a theme to the evening trivia and the prizes were the best - free drink coupons!

I have never seen the progressive trivia but have a feeling it might be played only on the Vista class and we don't sail those.

I have never seen the progressive trivia but have a feeling it might be played only on the Vista class and we don't sail those.

The Progressive Team Trivia I experienced was on the Zaandam, an R class ship, and on a cruise with ten full sea days. It was run by the CD, and he disembarked when we did. Hopefully, he didn't take this "progressive" idea with him to another ship.

Thanks Cathy-CA . Sounds like a fun way to meet people.:)

Yes, it really is. DW and I went to the first game on a cruise and saw a rather unattractive young lady looking lost and invited her to join us. She was very happy to, and turned out to be very a interesting person. No one else joined our team and when the moderator came she announced the topic would be movies, I was ready to leave. My wife watches mostly old movies and I hardly ever see any. We stayed and the girl knew ALL of the answers immediately!:) We (actually she) won.:D

Turned out she knew other things too, but we held our own against the other teams.

Team Trivia is one of the best ways to meet people and Holland America has one of the best programs. I always go to team trivia and it is fun.

Being hard of hearing, I often ask that the question be repeated and HAL staff always is helpful.

I have gone to team trivia on other cruise lines and they sometime use cruise staff who have horrible accents, such as Australian or South African, which were difficult to understand.

HAL prizes are the best,

Team Trivia is one of the best ways to meet people and Holland America has one of the best programs. I always go to team trivia and it is fun.

Being hard of hearing, I often ask that the question be repeated and HAL staff always is helpful.

I have gone to team trivia on other cruise lines and they sometime use cruise staff who have horrible accents, such as Australian or South African, which were difficult to understand.

HAL prizes are the best,

Having to play days at a time for a few dam dollars -- not a good prize to me -- JMO

Personally, I do not care for progressive trivia. Having to commit to a particular team makes the game seem more like a duty or responisibility and by doing so, I'd feel obligated to be there for each game. When I'm on a cruise, I'm there to get rid of responsibility and to "go with the flow", meaning that whatever interests me at the moment is what I'm going to do.

Also, when one is committed to being on a particular team, the chance to make new friends is taken away.

Yes, it really is. DW and I went to the first game on a cruise and saw a rather unattractive young lady looking lost and invited her to join us. She was very happy to, and turned out to be very a interesting person. No one else joined our team and when the moderator came she announced the topic would be movies, I was ready to leave. My wife watches mostly old movies and I hardly ever see any. We stayed and the girl knew ALL of the answers immediately!:) We (actually she) won.:D

Turned out she knew other things too, but we held our own against the other teams.

I hope that wasn't me. Something similar has happened to me (I travel solo and have to go searching for a team, but I'm good). But I hope I'm not that unattractive.

Personally, I do not care for progressive trivia. Having to commit to a particular team makes the game seem more like a duty or responisibility and by doing so, I'd feel obligated to be there for each game. When I'm on a cruise, I'm there to get rid of responsibility and to "go with the flow", meaning that whatever interests me at the moment is what I'm going to do.

Also, when one is committed to being on a particular team, the chance to make new friends is taken away.

You are so right!!!

I think Googling is cheating. I never cheat on Daily Trivia. It's a test of knowledge, not a test of googling.

You also have to watch out for rival teams grading your answers--we had a group count three of our correct answers as wrong!

I really don't like that game--maybe they call it Ultimate Trivia??--where you have to run to the front with your answers. Dangerous and gives unfair advantage to the young and/or fit, of which I am neither!

Archived