San Diego beaches accessible from downtown via public transportation?

mikeerdas

Are there any good beaches accessible from the Gaslamp/downtown area via public transportation? Heard about a ferry from Embarcadero to Coronado Island, but that it doesn't drop you anywhere near the Silver Strand beach (supposed to be a good one).

What other beaches can I get to via trolley/bus? I prefer more quiet beaches, but summer + accessible via public transport probably don't go together.

Would also be interested in snorkeling possibilities at any of these beaches.

It's tough to find a quiet beach using public transportation. You could look into the bus schedule to see how you could get to other beaches...but it would take you the good part of the day to get there with all the transfers that are probably involved. And...the beaches you could get to probably won't be quiet.

The only option that comes to mind is taking the Coronado Ferry and going to the beach in Coronado proper. May not be as private as you want but it's a very nice beach. It's probably more crowded right around the Hotel Del. Just south of the Del are high-rise condominiums (you cannot miss them), the beach is less crowded there. Snorkeling is not too good here because of the waves.

Coronado is an interesting little town. Miguel's Mexican Restaurant is good, it's tucked away across the street (Orange Ave.) from the Hotel Del.

Enjoy your stay in San Diego.

... Heard about a ferry from Embarcadero to Coronado Island, but that it doesn't drop you anywhere near the Silver Strand beach (supposed to be a good one).

This is your best bet as well as being the most scenic. The Coronado shuttle runs from the Ferry terminal to the Hotel del and a few other stops. The beach on Coronado is really one of the nicest if not the nicest in the whole San Diego area.

I've been out to the beach at the Del on my visits too, and I'd highly recommend it. Easy enough to reach via harbor ferry/shuttle and it's a nice beach and it just feels so very chi-chi :rolleyes: Make sure you tour around in the hotel a bit too ... definitely something to see! I'll also warn you, that if you want to stop for a drink in the bar, be prepared to pay a LOT for it! :eek: I was taken by surprise, but even so, it was quite worth it for the experience.

Have you booked your hotel in the Gaslamp yet? Last time we were in town, we stayed at the Horton Grande. Really fun, old property there ... you might consider it.

My favorite beach in all of San Diego for nice quite swimming and sun bathing is the beach just north of the Hotel del Coronado. Silver Strand state park is OK, but takes longer to get too, and unlike other local beaches, still allows alcohol, so is a little rowdier.

Not much to see there snorkeling though. The best place to do this is La Jolla Cove where the bottom is rocky and thus has more sea life, and it is a marine preserve. You could get there on the bus, but from downtown it would probably take you over an hour one way. If you want to go there, then a cab would probably be your best bet (and would run you about $35 one way). There are closer places off of Point Loma in the Sunset Cliffs area, but due to currents, you need to be a very strong swimmer to snorkel in that area.

What time of year are you going? Just be aware that our water is not like Hawaii or the Caribbean. In the summer you are lucky if the water gets to 68 degrees F, and after October it will drop steadily over the winter to the low 50s in most areas.

First, I agree with Splinter concerning the public beach in Coronado being the best around. It's certainly the cleanest.

But to answer your original question, you could use public transportation to Ocean Beach. Here is the link to the bus route (923) which services downtown to OB:

http://transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=923

Ocean Beach is okay; it's a good place to people watch, surf and eat, but you really can't do any snorkeling there. The nearby cliffs (just South of the beach) are worthy of a look though, especially on a clear day at sunset.

Another idea is to hop on a northbound Amtrak or Coaster train. I believe several of the stations are within walking distance of the beach. It should take 30-60 minutes depending on the beach and may actually be quicker than messing with a city bus or trolley. I'm not too familiar with the stations in North County, someone local can suggest whether this is a good idea or not. The Amtrak station in San Clemente is right on the beach; you would have to take an Amtrak because Coaster only goes as far as Oceanside. San Clemente is getting a bit far from San Diego, but it's a beautiful beach (about 20 minutes from where I'm typing this).

Another idea is to hop on a northbound Amtrak or Coaster train. I believe several of the stations are within walking distance of the beach. It should take 30-60 minutes depending on the beach and may actually be quicker than messing with a city bus or trolley. I'm not too familiar with the stations in North County, someone local can suggest whether this is a good idea or not. The Amtrak station in San Clemente is right on the beach; you would have to take an Amtrak because Coaster only goes as far as Oceanside. San Clemente is getting a bit far from San Diego, but it's a beautiful beach (about 20 minutes from where I'm typing this).

I live in north county and would still recommend going to Coronado. Your best options for walking to the beach from the train are in Solana Beach, Carlsbad (Coaster Only), and Oceanside. None of these beaches really compare to Coronado for the general tourist and all are much smaller.

Archived