Narrowing it down

dmc1025

Sometimes there is just so much information on these boards that am happy that the search doesn't work.

I think I have narrowed my choices down to two cruises and I would like to get some opions on what people think is the better of the two.

Sailing on Rayal going to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Straight Point, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, and Vancouver

OR

Princess going to Vancouver, Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Denali, and Fairbanks

The difference seems to be on goes to Icy Straight Point and Hubbard Glacier and the other does Glacier Bay, and College Fjord

Thanks in advance for all of the help

Wer're doing your Princess option next month only with McKinley instead of Fairbanks. Also did it in 2005 with McKinley as well as Denali and Fairbanks. This time we're skipping Fairbanks and adding a day in Anchorage.

We enjoy Princess in Alaska. I'd also suggest doing the land first and then the cruise rather than the other way around. It's nice to get the land "over" first and then have the suitcases completely unpacked for a relaxing cruise. Also, I don't think the Fairbanks area is particularly beautiful and I'd rather start my trip there rather than end it.

Also a consideration, how much time in ports?? AND is the interior cruisetour the same- with the Tundra Wilderness tour included?? I think I give RCI a slight edge with using the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge right in Talkeetna rather than the isolated McKinley Princess lodge. Far more convenient for Talkeetna activities.

For me Fairbanks offers plenty, it's just that cruisetour people don't see it. I highly recommend adding a day and getting a rental car, otherwise you do see very little and it may not be really worth it to even go there.

Princess does have excellent full time ship naturalists, which RCI doesn't. Sometimes, RCI can have excellent guest lecturers, but no way to know ahead, other times there can be some pretty poor excuses for some.

Those are both fabulous itineraries.

Other things being equal, we lean just a bit toward Princess in Alaska, and lean just a bit toward Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier. OTOH, Icy Strait Point is also excellent!

You will not go wrong with either of these itineraries.

For our reviews and pics of several trips to Alaska, check out http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Which Princess tour are you taking?

I had to go look it up. It is 4S but I added another night in Anchorage at the beginning so we could do Prince William Sound Glacier tour and then added two nights in Vancouver at the end so we could do a day in Victoria.

Archived