Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios?

scraphappycruiser

Hi everyone! :) So I have been reading this baord for a bit and finally got registered so I can post :D , etc. I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and tips! And now I have a question - I have read so much about Sunset Beach in Montego Bay - and read several threads where the post seems to be conusfing Mo Bay and OR - kinda back and forth - so now I am really confused :confused: , lol! From what U I have searched - it would be best to go to Sunset Beach in Mo Bay - most everyone seems to like it -however:rolleyes: I am docking in Ocho Rios in 2 weeks ad think its too far to get to Mo Bay the short time we are in port - so can anyone tell me - How is The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios? I know its $40 pp for adults (I emailed the hotel) and it looks nice- but getting mixed reviews on trip advisor - esp on customer service! Has anyone stayed here or had a day pass? Pools? Is there a lazy river? Beaches? Food? Drinks?:cool: Any info good or bad is appreciated! (Heard nice thinsg about sandals but $85 pp is too much for us...kwim?) Thanks!:)

• 3 weeks later...

My sister vacationed there for a week and had a great time. She said the pool area is awesome but wasnt so impressed w/the beach (well, more like the water; it had a lot of sea grass she said). But her opinion was that for a daypass, it would be terrific. Also, that is a great price.

I haven't been here but I've asked about it myself. I read that one person wasn't too impressed w/ the beach (water) & even that people were told at one time not to go in the water. But I've heard from others that it's a good time, fun, lots of food.

You have to be careful when you read tripadvisor because almost all of those people are rating the entire place because they stay there overnight. Those views might differ from people just getting a day pass.

All I do know is that it seems pretty reasonable, considering all the food/drinks you get ... as long as it's fun, clean & safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraphappycruiser

Just got off our ship on August 21st and we had planned to go to Sans Souci for the day when we were in port in Ocho Rios.... however, the resort had quoted us $50 pp per day which was fine, and said it would be $7 pp each way on the cab, which was also fine.... but when we got an "official" cab, we were quoted $20 pp each way for cab fare which seemed too high. Instead we opted to have our driver take us to Dunn's River Falls for awhile and then on to Sunset Jamaica Grande and both were fabulous, and then to pick up a few souvenirs, which was $56 total for the day plus a nice tip! Our driver was Horace and he was a great guide and a straight up good person and Christian - and I have his phone # if anyone would like it for a tour in town or just ask the police officers at the gate, he is very well respected and well known. I will post a separate review soon with pictures and all the details - however, I will say for those of who might be sailing in a day or two - we loved Sunset Jamaica Grande - the service was incredible, resort and beaches were awesome, drinks were very strong, food was good - we loved it! (of course the falls were beautiful too - butg we found taking a few pictures of the falls and beach below was enough for us).

From Jamaican Grande (Ocho Rios) - $55/$35.

{Snset Beach in Mo Bay is the $40 admission}

CRUISE SHIP DAY PASS

v Snacks from two Beach Grills

v Hospitality Room with Showers

v Non-Motorized Watersports Activities

v Unlimited use of Pool & Beach Facilities

v Full Buffet Lunch (Grande Palm Restaurant)

v Unlimited Beverages (Alcoholic/non-alcoholic)

¨ Waterslide

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

v Beach Towels are not Provided

v Day Pass valid 9:00am-5:00pm

v Picture ID is required on check in

v Access to Fitness Center & Kiddies Club not included in Package

COST

US$55.00 Per adult

US$35.00 Per child

I honeymooned there (13 years ago now) so I don't have any recent info on it - but I will say that we had a great time and the facilities were really nice. The beach was very clean and the fact that it was in a bay and not on the main ocean section meant it was very calm and relaxing. Wear lots of sunscreen - it's easy to nap in the peace and quiet! (I did get stung by a jellyfish there but perhaps that was a rare occurrence.) I don't remember the cruise ship port being so very far away (that would cause a $20pp charge) but am not sure it can be walked. I like daypasses and would recommend doing this one. MoBay is nice but not as friendly as Ocho in my opinion. I wish you luck and much fun on your trip!

Just FYI it is $45.00 a for a day pass for cruise passengers - you must specify that you are a cruise passenger and they will charge you the cruise passenger rate - which is also posted at the cashier - rate of $45.00 per adult per day - includes everything - food (everything from a full sit down meal in the dining room to jerk chicken or burgers and fries, etc at the grill at the pool), drinks, pools, slides, beaches, water toys (kayaks, etc) and worth every penny! The resort is nice - lost of pools, beaches, and swim up bars- and the service was awesome! Email a week or so ahead with how many are coming and the date and they will tell you if they accomodate you (most likely yes) and make a note of your coming. Have fun! I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow and a l nger review- but right now motherhood is calling.....

I would like contact infor for horace

jdewar@rogers.com

Thanks

Jodi

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraphappycruiser

Just got off our ship on August 21st and we had planned to go to Sans Souci for the day when we were in port in Ocho Rios.... however, the resort had quoted us $50 pp per day which was fine, and said it would be $7 pp each way on the cab, which was also fine.... but when we got an "official" cab, we were quoted $20 pp each way for cab fare which seemed too high. Instead we opted to have our driver take us to Dunn's River Falls for awhile and then on to Sunset Jamaica Grande and both were fabulous, and then to pick up a few souvenirs, which was $56 total for the day plus a nice tip! Our driver was Horace and he was a great guide and a straight up good person and Christian - and I have his phone # if anyone would like it for a tour in town or just ask the police officers at the gate, he is very well respected and well known. I will post a separate review soon with pictures and all the details - however, I will say for those of who might be sailing in a day or two - we loved Sunset Jamaica Grande - the service was incredible, resort and beaches were awesome, drinks were very strong, food was good - we loved it! (of course the falls were beautiful too - butg we found taking a few pictures of the falls and beach below was enough for us).

• 1 month later...
Just FYI it is $45.00 a for a day pass for cruise passengers - you must specify that you are a cruise passenger and they will charge you the cruise passenger rate - which is also posted at the cashier - rate of $45.00 per adult per day - includes everything - food (everything from a full sit down meal in the dining room to jerk chicken or burgers and fries, etc at the grill at the pool), drinks, pools, slides, beaches, water toys (kayaks, etc) and worth every penny! The resort is nice - lost of pools, beaches, and swim up bars- and the service was awesome! Email a week or so ahead with how many are coming and the date and they will tell you if they accomodate you (most likely yes) and make a note of your coming. Have fun! I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow and a l nger review- but right now motherhood is calling.....

I guess the rates went up because I emailed them and said we'd be on the Mariner of the seas and was quoted 60.00 for the day pass, for Nov.We had friends who went there in Sept and they paid 45.00.

I received an email from them 2 days before we cruised stating that they had availability and the price was $45 pp. I forgot to print it out, and when we got to the resort, we were told that the price "had just changed within the last fews" and was now $60 pp! :eek:

There were four of us and I told the cashier that we did not bring that much money and we started to walk off. Then she said, "let me make a phone call"...long story short, they came down to $50pp and when I told them I had only brought $200 with me and I needed taxi money, they agreed to $190 for the four of us. IMO the girls in the office are keeping the extra...thats just the vibe I got from them.

Once in the resort, WE LOVED IT! Beautiful pools, and great bar service! We ate lunch at a "grill" as they called it but while my hamburger was decent, the others didn't even finish their lunch as it wasn't very good. The restaurant may have been better but we were too interested in the pool bar. We pretty much stayed at the bar all day. The Bartender, Sandy, was great. A little too "great" in fact. He would have a drink waiting on you before you even finished the one in your hand. My dh had wayyyyyyy too much to drink and OMG...long story short, one wheelchair ride later, we had him safely back in the stateroom.:eek: (BTW, Melinda, if you are reading this, we never did get to say thank you to you and Mike for your help!)

The grounds are very clean and the staff that we encountered once outside were very friendly. I can't emphasize enough just how gorgeous the pool area is. It's like paradise. The beach was okay, but the water was yucky. Lots of seagrass and "crud"...in fact they had workers out there with rakes and garbage bags trying to clean up the swimming area. The cruiseship is so close that it looks like you could swim out to it.

Anyway, I would definitely go back again for the day. However, I would be sure to print out the email that they send w/the pricing info.

I received an email from them 2 days before we cruised stating that they had availability and the price was $45 pp. I forgot to print it out, and when we got to the resort, we were told that the price "had just changed within the last fews" and was now $60 pp! :eek:

There were four of us and I told the cashier that we did not bring that much money and we started to walk off. Then she said, "let me make a phone call"...long story short, they came down to $50pp and when I told them I had only brought $200 with me and I needed taxi money, they agreed to $190 for the four of us. IMO the girls in the office are keeping the extra...thats just the vibe I got from them.

Once in the resort, WE LOVED IT! Beautiful pools, and great bar service! We ate lunch at a "grill" as they called it but while my hamburger was decent, the others didn't even finish their lunch as it wasn't very good. The restaurant may have been better but we were too interested in the pool bar. We pretty much stayed at the bar all day. The Bartender, Sandy, was great. A little too "great" in fact. He would have a drink waiting on you before you even finished the one in your hand. My dh had wayyyyyyy too much to drink and OMG...long story short, one wheelchair ride later, we had him safely back in the stateroom.:eek: (BTW, Melinda, if you are reading this, we never did get to say thank you to you and Mike for your help!)

The grounds are very clean and the staff that we encountered once outside were very friendly. I can't emphasize enough just how gorgeous the pool area is. It's like paradise. The beach was okay, but the water was yucky. Lots of seagrass and "crud"...in fact they had workers out there with rakes and garbage bags trying to clean up the swimming area. The cruiseship is so close that it looks like you could swim out to it.

Anyway, I would definitely go back again for the day. However, I would be sure to print out the email that they send w/the pricing info.

I was also at the Sunset Jamaica Grande last week while on the Mariner. I was glad that I brought my e-mail with me where they quoted me $45 pp because they wanted to charge me $60. The cashier went into a back room for awhile and finally came out and agreed to take $45. The resort wasn't crowded at all and we enjoyed it there.

My two boys (13 and 17) were a little disappointed that they couldn't use the water trampoline because it was damaged in the hurricane, and one of the slides wasn't working and the other one was slow, but they did use the non-motorized water sports.

I agree that the drinks were good but the food wasn't. I had a hot dog from the grill that didn't look like it was fully cooked but my son's was. My husband had a hamburger which he said was good.

It was worth it for $45 but not for $60.

I was also at the Sunset Jamaica Grande last week while on the Mariner. I was glad that I brought my e-mail with me where they quoted me $45 pp because they wanted to charge me $60. The cashier went into a back room for awhile and finally came out and agreed to take $45. The resort wasn't crowded at all and we enjoyed it there.

My two boys (13 and 17) were a little disappointed that they couldn't use the water trampoline because it was damaged in the hurricane, and one of the slides wasn't working and the other one was slow, but they did use the non-motorized water sports.

I agree that the drinks were good but the food wasn't. I had a hot dog from the grill that didn't look like it was fully cooked but my son's was. My husband had a hamburger which he said was good.

It was worth it for $45 but not for $60.

So they tried to pull the switch-eroo with you too, huh? I wouldn't think so bad of them but they pulled this on a group several months ago as well, so it is obvious that the price just didn't go up "over the weekend" like we were told.

Anyway, yes I agree, for $45 it was worth it. And a lesson to all...order the hamburger, lol

Yes, I think they're trying to see how many people they can overcharge. I remember reading about the prices changing a lot at this resort so I e-mailed them for a current quote a week before the cruise and made sure I brought the e-mail with me.

I also didn't appreciate the taxi driver in Jamaica trying to overcharge us when he brought us back to the ship. He gave us a short tour which we didn't ask for, and then took us to his friend's place for some shopping, and then tried to charge us $100 for it. It left us with a bad impression of Jamaica.

Just got a reply on Sunday they want $60 per person

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

The rate is US$60 per adult and US $30 for children 3-12. The pas starts at 9:30 am and ends at 3:30pm

Regards,

Ameka Wilson

Reservations Agent,

Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa

PO Box 100, Main Street

Ocho Rios, St Ann

Jamaica WI

Tel: (876) 974-2200

Fax: (876) 974-2289

This email (and any attachments) is the property of Sunset Resorts, Jamaica. It is intended only for the person(s) to which it is addressed and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or otherwise protectecd from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this email or the information contained herein by anyone other than the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email and destroy all electronic and paper copies of this message.

Just got a reply on Sunday they want $60 per person

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

The rate is US$60 per adult and US $30 for children 3-12. The pas starts at 9:30 am and ends at 3:30pm

Regards,

Ameka Wilson

Reservations Agent,

Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa

PO Box 100, Main Street

Ocho Rios, St Ann

Jamaica WI

Tel: (876) 974-2200

Fax: (876) 974-2289

This email (and any attachments) is the property of Sunset Resorts, Jamaica. It is intended only for the person(s) to which it is addressed and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or otherwise protectecd from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this email or the information contained herein by anyone other than the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email and destroy all electronic and paper copies of this message.

So that's what today's rate is?? If you want to send me an e-mail (sunsationalvac@optimum.net), I'll forward you their letterhead where they quoted me $45 adults / $25 kids 3-12. Just bring that with you.

Archived