Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios?

scraphappycruiser

I think someone in the "Main" office quotes $45, but when the girl at the actual resort replies, she says $60. JMO but something fishy is going on w/the pricing. I still say the girls in the office split anything over the standard $45. I just got that vibe from them. They kept having to discuss our price between themselves.

I emailed Sunset Beach Grande Ocho Rios regarding the inconsistency of their rate quotes. This is the email that I received....

Good day Angela, thank you for taking the time to contact us about your concerns.

As a company we have had to reevaluate our costs and have had no alterntive but to increase the cost of our day passes and our rates in general. I am sure you can relate to the growing costs of just about everything that goes into operating a business.

We thought long and hard about the increases but were left with little choice

The rates were increased October 1, 2008 to US$60.00 adults and $30.00 children under 15 years old.

We trust that you would understand and still continue to support us with the knowledge that our rates are still competitive.

Best regards

Charmaine Deane

Director of Sales Administration

SUNSET RESORTS

Tel: 876-383-5405

Fax: 876-516-1688

Email: cdeane@sunsetresortsjm.com

Please visit our Photo gallery: www.sunsetresortsjamaica.com/gallery

SUNSET RESORTS

Always for everyone...uniquely Jamaican

I emailed Sunset Beach Grande Ocho Rios regarding the inconsistency of their rate quotes. This is the email that I received....

Good day Angela, thank you for taking the time to contact us about your concerns.

As a company we have had to reevaluate our costs and have had no alterntive but to increase the cost of our day passes and our rates in general. I am sure you can relate to the growing costs of just about everything that goes into operating a business.

We thought long and hard about the increases but were left with little choice

The rates were increased October 1, 2008 to US$60.00 adults and $30.00 children under 15 years old.

We trust that you would understand and still continue to support us with the knowledge that our rates are still competitive.

Best regards

Charmaine Deane

Director of Sales Administration

SUNSET RESORTS

Tel: 876-383-5405

Fax: 876-516-1688

Email: cdeane@sunsetresortsjm.com

Please visit our Photo gallery: www.sunsetresortsjamaica.com/gallery

SUNSET RESORTS

Always for everyone...uniquely Jamaican

That's a feasible reason, however their pricing is inconsistent to say the least. They were doing this back in Feb as well. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=722915&highlight=grande

I called the toll free # today to get some details about the day pass. I too was quoted $60 for the day. There is one thing I am a bit uncomfortable with, they want you to surrender your sea pass to them for the day and they will return it to you on the way out :cool: I don't like this because the magnetic strip on the sea pass is connected with my credit card - who's to say they don't have a card reader somewhere??? Has anyone else been asked to surrender their sea passes?

Hi everyone! :) So I have been reading this baord for a bit and finally got registered so I can post :D , etc. I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and tips! And now I have a question - I have read so much about Sunset Beach in Montego Bay - and read several threads where the post seems to be conusfing Mo Bay and OR - kinda back and forth - so now I am really confused :confused: , lol! From what U I have searched - it would be best to go to Sunset Beach in Mo Bay - most everyone seems to like it -however:rolleyes: I am docking in Ocho Rios in 2 weeks ad think its too far to get to Mo Bay the short time we are in port - so can anyone tell me - How is The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios? I know its $40 pp for adults (I emailed the hotel) and it looks nice- but getting mixed reviews on trip advisor - esp on customer service! Has anyone stayed here or had a day pass? Pools? Is there a lazy river? Beaches? Food? Drinks?:cool: Any info good or bad is appreciated! (Heard nice thinsg about sandals but $85 pp is too much for us...kwim?) Thanks!:)

My family visited the Sunset Beach resort in Montego Bay last May. We paid $45 for adults and $25 for kids. Resort is nice, mostly clean, however shows signs of age. The pool area for the kids is great. No lazy river really, just a short little float. Lots of pool chairs. Food was okay, but nothing special. Drinks were just okay, a bit watered down. Stick with beer if you like it. No real beach area. so we did not like being in that area. There are several pool areas. They tell you lockers are available, but that is not true. They basically will hold you stuff in a room for you, but we did not feel comfortable with that at all, especially with our passports, credit cards, etc. Overall, it was worth what we paid for the food and drinks, however the resort was nothing really special. We would have had just as much fun staying on the ship that day, without having to pay extra. Hope this helps you with info. We are returning to MoBay in March, and will not return there again.

• 2 weeks later...

MotherofTrips,

Please update us on your return! I'd love to know if you did end up going to sunset Grande and what you thought of it!!!

MotherofTrips,

Please update us on your return! I'd love to know if you did end up going to sunset Grande and what you thought of it!!!

Hi,

Yes we did go to Sunset Beach Ocho Rios. The price was $60adult, $30child. It was really nice there. There are several pools and hottubs. My kids were not tall enough to go on the waterslide though. We definately didn't eat or drink our $60 worth, but it was a nice place to spend the day. There is a small beach area that you can use kayaks, water trampoline and those water bicycles. They provided towels. I have to say that the food was just okay. They had a grill station that had hamburgers, hotdogs, cheesesteaks, french fries. The hamburgers had a very different taste. They also had a station set up that had all kinds of desserts. You can get mixed drinks (they are not anything fancy though, just served in a plastic cup. But they were good. We had our hairbraided but a few women who did not belong to the resort. They were not suppose to be on the property so that did it kind of hidden where you can rent jetskis. They charged $50.00 for a full head. We did enjoy the day but I probably wouldn't go back there. I kind of wish that we made the extra drive and went to Beaches.

Oh by the way, we did not have to give them our S&S cards.

Hi,

Yes we did go to Sunset Beach Ocho Rios. The price was $60adult, $30child. It was really nice there. There are several pools and hottubs. My kids were not tall enough to go on the waterslide though. We definately didn't eat or drink our $60 worth, but it was a nice place to spend the day. There is a small beach area that you can use kayaks, water trampoline and those water bicycles. They provided towels. I have to say that the food was just okay. They had a grill station that had hamburgers, hotdogs, cheesesteaks, french fries. The hamburgers had a very different taste. They also had a station set up that had all kinds of desserts. You can get mixed drinks (they are not anything fancy though, just served in a plastic cup. But they were good. We had our hairbraided but a few women who did not belong to the resort. They were not suppose to be on the property so that did it kind of hidden where you can rent jetskis. They charged $50.00 for a full head. We did enjoy the day but I probably wouldn't go back there. I kind of wish that we made the extra drive and went to Beaches.

Any Jamaican patties?

Hi,

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post your experience!!!

Our 20th anniversary will be the day that we are in Ochos Rios so I would really like to have a GREAT day there!!

Have you been to Beaches before??? Can you tell me anything about that resort???

Thanks again for your time!!

Terri

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone! :) So I have been reading this baord for a bit and finally got registered so I can post :D , etc. I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and tips! And now I have a question - I have read so much about Sunset Beach in Montego Bay - and read several threads where the post seems to be conusfing Mo Bay and OR - kinda back and forth - so now I am really confused :confused: , lol! From what U I have searched - it would be best to go to Sunset Beach in Mo Bay - most everyone seems to like it -however:rolleyes: I am docking in Ocho Rios in 2 weeks ad think its too far to get to Mo Bay the short time we are in port - so can anyone tell me - How is The Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios? I know its $40 pp for adults (I emailed the hotel) and it looks nice- but getting mixed reviews on trip advisor - esp on customer service! Has anyone stayed here or had a day pass? Pools? Is there a lazy river? Beaches? Food? Drinks?:cool: Any info good or bad is appreciated! (Heard nice thinsg about sandals but $85 pp is too much for us...kwim?) Thanks!:)

I was married there (at the Oche location) this past May (2008), had many family members stay with me and I WOULD NOT recommend staying here! There are many other nicer and newer hotels in the area like the RIU. Although they have renovated the outside the rooms have not been renovated since it was built in 1972. My group accupied at least 10 rooms and we all had mould in our bathrooms, experienced the same poor service and wished we had stayed somewhere else.

BTW my husband is from Ocho Rios and had family that is associated with the resort and our wedding was not a small one. So our stay should have been much better.

All of the Sunset JA Grande properties are refurbished hotels.

We were at the Sunset Grande Resort on Dec. 2 last week.

There were 7 of us that went and were very happy we went. We left the safety of the ships port to the safety of the resort.

As stated early, there were several pools and hot tubs.

Anything you want to drink really. Food has been talked about, hamburgs, grilled ham & cheese, FF. Then a whole buffet set up with many choices. If you didn't find it there, you are just WAY to picky. They would make sandwhiches for you as you liked. Soda was available all the time, just serve yourself.

The beach was small but enjoyable. we didn't use the water crafts but they sat right there available.

It was $60 pp, as stated in the email sent to me. Also it says on the email, that the price is subject to change. Can't blame them.

but well worth the price and time spent.

Archived