Independent tours-> Will they take travelers checks?

Travelers checks are considered nearly obsolete in Europe, although its still possible to cash them in many places. ATMs and credit cards have pretty much replaced TCs. However, if you want to use TCs in dollars, I suggest you cash them on-board your ship (since they have no fees to cash them in dollars) and use cash ashore. Keep in mind that everyone in Europe prefers Euros to dollars, and if they take your dollars, you will not get a great rate of exchange. But the worst rates of exchange I have seen in Europe are a lot better than anything you can get in the states if you try to buy Euros.

Hank

It is absolutely VITAL to have a very clear understanding with each specific tour operator in advance about payment.

Some accept credit cards, some don't. Some accept US$, some only Euros. Some will only take bank transfers. About TCs I have no experience. But the point is each operator makes his own rules.

Don't ask here on the board for conjectures. Email each operator and have a written confirmation of their payment policies.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Traveler's checks are basically useless for anything any more! Even if you can find a place to cash them, the exchange rate will be lower than exchanging cash. And virtually nobody over there wants them. Take some cash (but not too much!), your ATM card(s), and credit card(s) with you, and you'll be fine. And as another poster mentioned here, ask in advance about payment to tour operators. On a similar note, I once stayed in a very small hotel that charged a higher rate if you paid with a credit card than with cash. They told me this in advance in an email, but I didn't pay attention--and later wished I had because it really added up!

We just returned from the Summit cruise of the Med. and we used Euro Travellers checks to pay for our 4 private tours. Three of the tour companies said they would take credit cards but would add 10 - 15% surcharge.

We didn't want to carry that amount of cash and they were happy with TC payment.

Be sure and confirm with the tour operator what method they accept/prefer.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived