Princess Standards

Shogun

I agree.. We keep our cabin spotless and ensure that the bed is almost made up in the morning.. Often we are told by stewards that we are one the the neatest passengers they have. Because of this we receive excellent and prompt service and they go out of their way for us..

My DW always makes up the beds and picks up the dirty clothes before we head out for breakfast.

Ron

I agree.. We keep our cabin spotless and ensure that the bed is almost made up in the morning.. Often we are told by stewards that we are one the the neatest passengers they have. Because of this we receive excellent and prompt service and they go out of their way for us..

Also, if it helps if you treat them friendly and with respect. It amazes me when walking down the hall, you can hear how some passengers talk to them. Larry, you are one of the "neatest" people I know :p

In 14 Princess cruises our room steward has always been able to supply them. I agree, it might depend on each individual steward.

The first 15 or so Princess cruises, the room steward did get them for us. But the last (most recent) 5 or 6, nope, had to call room service.

My DW always makes up the beds and picks up the dirty clothes before we head out for breakfast.

Ron

Nope, no way I will make the bed. I rarely do at home for that matter.

That being said, I do straighten personal belongings on tables and in the bathroom. I try to leave the room 'easily cleanable' -- that is, no dirty clothing, make-up, general stuff scattered all over the surfaces making it tough to do the daily cleaning. I have always hated the thought that a steward, or maid in a hotel, has to deal with our personal belongings to clean the room.

Also, we take thank you cards with envelopes on our cruise for the purpose of the extra tips and personally expressing our thanks to our steward and wait staff, and anyone else who has made our vacation so special.

Tee

I don't understand what the big deal is that you have to call Room Service for glasses and ice. This has been a Princess standard for several years. It is not the stewards responsibility. Is it "above" the entitled to pick up the phone and dial Room Service. I do it every day unless I can make arrangements for a standing order.

Ron

I don't understand what the big deal is that you have to call Room Service for glasses and ice. This has been a Princess standard for several years. It is not the stewards responsibility. Is it "above" the entitled to pick up the phone and dial Room Service. I do it every day unless I can make arrangements for a standing order.

Ron

No it is not "beneath" for me to call room service for glasses, HOWEVER, as I have stated previously, when we have asked our room steward(s) they have very kindly supplied them. Had they told us to call room service, we would have done so. While it may be a "Princess standard", we have never been informed of that.

Hi Folks,

Nice to see that I have got us chatting,

when I say I expect a call back from my room steward with in 10 minutes of paging him, this during his working hours. I for one would not call a steward out with there hours, why because if it is some thing that can not wait an hour or two then the steward is not likely to be the person to call in the first place.

As to wine glass and napkins etc, well one day there was non the next there was did not asl anyone they just appeared.

When we have chatted about room stewards to death, I will open another on the deck drinks staff....

yours Shogun

yours Shogun

About all I want is fresh towels, disinfected bathroom, emptied garbage and restocked toiletries daily, and sheets changed and carpet vaccuumed weekly. I prefer to make my own bed and put everything away neatly before I leave. All the stuff with robes and glasses and other doo-dads...don't really need or want, but if I did, I'd expect to tip as they were delivered. If I wanted a lot of luxurious pampering, I would not be on a Princess cruiseship with 3000 of my closest friends. ;)

We had a great little room steward on our last Princess cruise. She took very good care of us, always with a smile:) When I did ask for wine glasses, she told us we had to call room service. When I asked for a top sheet for under the duvet, she had it in our room that night. It was placed on top of the duvet?? So I just put it under and then the next day she got the hint!!!

For the most part, they work their butts off to please:)

Certainly it depends upon the deck but stewards have up to 35 cabins to service twice a day. While we have been iritated a time or two, we understand the pressure the stewards are under and try to act accordingly. We are also in the 'very neat' category so that when the stewards do come by, they can get right to the important business and do not have to slog through our mess first.

Right on the money again Shogun. And I can say the service standard on my part of the ship (500 even Rivera) was well met.

I always try to say hello or good morning, afternoon, evening, to let them know I appreciate them being there.

Simple requests are usually granted. I asked for some extra glasses when I noticed the steward in the hall outside my room, and he handed them to me stat. My wife asked for extra towels. They were there. She thanked him a few times. That really goes a long way for them.

Lastly, just being pleasant and polite to the crew, makes everybody's day go better.:cool:

We had a great little room steward on our last Princess cruise. She took very good care of us, always with a smile:) When I did ask for wine glasses, she told us we had to call room service. When I asked for a top sheet for under the duvet, she had it in our room that night. It was placed on top of the duvet?? So I just put it under and then the next day she got the hint!!!

For the most part, they work their butts off to please:)

AND---- Was it a problem for you to call room service??? I know it is not the stewards duty and I respect that - I call room service and always get service with a smile - I'm glad to hear that you do this too.

Ron

Certainly it depends upon the deck but stewards have up to 35 cabins to service twice a day. While we have been iritated a time or two, we understand the pressure the stewards are under and try to act accordingly. We are also in the 'very neat' category so that when the stewards do come by, they can get right to the important business and do not have to slog through our mess first.

I don't mean to question you - but - the stewards have 17 rooms per day, not 35. If he/she had 35 cabins to service you would be coming back to a messy cabin unless you were first on the list. I admire the fact that they can service 17, and usually reward them at the end of the cruise.

Ron

Also, if it helps if you treat them friendly and with respect. It amazes me when walking down the hall, you can hear how some passengers talk to them. Larry, you are one of the "neatest" people I know :p

Nope, Ginger is.. You should see my office.. :eek::eek:

[quote name='aaerobear']15 to 17 is the norm for Princess stewards/stewardesses. Other lines have different numbers, but I am sure NOBODY has 35.[/quote]

On our recent CB cruise, our steward had 14 rooms. We were on dolphin, port side, midships. His name was Gabriel and anyone who gets him on a future cruise is very fortunate. He'll be leaving the CB and switching to the Ruby when her sailings begin.

Actually, we've always had outstanding room stewards on Princess.

One thing I've noticed though is while my room has always been in great shape on arrival, it is often in better shape after the second day. It is my understanding that turnaround day is really busy, but the second day gives them time to do deeper cleaning (eg, balcony doors and railing, stateroom walls, etc.) Of course, this is only my experience.

We also try to leave things neat for our steward to make his life a little easier. We put the suitcases away after unpacking, used towels go in the tub . . . little things like that.

Our steward on the Golden told us he had 18 rooms - all mini-suites. His name was Romulo Padila, and he was EXCELLENT. Not only his service, but his personality. And his niceness seemed genuine, not put on just for tips. Our room was serviced twice a day, plus a turn-down in the evening. I asked him for a top sheet, and it was on the bed that evening (under the duvet, not on top as someone above mentioned lol). We asked for a foam pad on the bed, and there it was that evening. We told him the remote battery was going dead, and it was immediately replaced. After 3 nights, we asked him to separate the beds because the bump in the middle bugged my husband (I didn't care!) and it was done. I asked for a sharps container, and it was brought right away. There was nothing this guy couldn't do!

Regarding the wine glasses - not sure if this is typical, or because we were traveling with my parents who have 18 cruises with Princess - but our steward met us within 15 min of occupying our rooms and presented us with champagne in a glass. I suppose if we wanted to hang on to the glasses for the week, we could've.

Archived