Tagging cruise tags & flights

Tina0922

This is the first time I am flying to a port to sail without doing land tour prior. My questions is, do we put our cruise tags on before we leave Ft Lauderdale Airport or wait till we claim our luggage in San Juan. It is a direct flight so I am not concerened about missing connections and all. I have heard to do it both ways and am really curious now which is better/safer to do.

Thanks so much for any info.

Tina

Tina, just the airline tags at Ft lauderdale. When you reach San Juan, add the ship tags before going to the pier!! Have them made out before you leave home, and carry them in your purse or carryon. It only takes a minuite to attach them. Then call a cab, or get your transfer!!! :)

Tina... Fill out the tags and have them ready to add to your bags when you claim them from the luggage carousel. It used to be that you could put the tags on when you got on the flight at your home airport and you wouldn't see the bags until they showed up in your cabin. That's no longer the case.

Put the tags on when you leave home. We were told by the Princess Rep that met us in Ft. Lauderdale (we flew from Phoenix) that it is best to put the tags on when you leave home for several reasons. The first being should the airlines need to leave off some baggage for any reason they will put cruise bound luggage on as a top priority. The second reason is luggage will have top priority being delivered to the ship should it not arrive on the same flight as you do. Reports of lost luggage to baggage claim take much longer.

She said she has dealt with this many times and knows from first hand experience what is best.

There really is no reason not to put it on when you leave home. We have done it many, many times and the luggage tag has always remained on the luggage. We do take one of the spares just incase one doesn't make it with our bag but never have needed it.

Princess still advises you to put the tag on when you leave home.

I agree with BJS. We always put our tags on before our flight, even when we are flying into the port a day ahead. If the bags go astray, the airlines will know where to forward them. I had one piece get lost. I filed a claim and the item was delivered to the ship the next day before we sailed.

I have seen enough people file lost luggage reports at the airport. If the airline misplace my luggage, I want them to know where to send it to. My ship!

My experience - I NEVER put on the tags until I VERIFY they have made the destination- you have NO guarantee that even with a single flight that they were loaded. It is much more beneficial to "miss" the bags early and start tracking where they are - you are way too late to miss anything once you are already on the ship. As for you bags having "priority"??, no more than anyone else.

My experience - I NEVER put on the tags until I VERIFY they have made the destination- you have NO guarantee that even with a single flight that they were loaded. It is much more beneficial to "miss" the bags early and start tracking where they are - you are way too late to miss anything once you are already on the ship.
Trying to understand why putting your tag on at home would stop you from verifying that your bag made the destination. No one takes your bag except you even if it has the tag on it. You have to give your bag to either a transfer person at the airport, if using the ship's transfers, or to the porters at the dock if taking a taxi or other private transportation. Either way you are still going to VERIFY that it arrived on the flight and know long before you even arrive at the ship.

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I guess each person has pros & cons,

which is fine. I just don't know which is better. I might just do it before I leave home so I don't have to worry about lossing a tag in my bag/dropping it, ect. Thank you all for taking time to relpy.

Tina

Archived