San diego zoo

Bell Ringer

No way would I go to SeaWorld (which you can visit in lots of cities....it is all pretty much the same) vs. the San Diego Zoo!! I go to the Zoo at least 8-10X/year (I am a member) and have not been to SeaWorld (and not missed it) for a number of years. I hear their fireworks every night at my house though!!

Cab far to Balboa Park would run you in the range of $15 if you get them to drop you off at the Prado (in front of the San Diego Art Museum) after driving straight up Laurel Street. From there is is a short and beautiful stroll to the Zoo. If they take you all the way around to the Zoo entrance on Park Blvd. it could run another $5. Cabs are now charging an addition $1 gas surcharge (if they want to) per city ordinance.

Plenty of cabs at the Zoo for your return. Just tell them Broadway Pier or the cruise ship pier...there is only one.

I agree, once you've been to Sea World, you don't need to go very often.

We have always wanted to go to the San Diego zoo! I check out the web cams often. Now to pray for good weather, but I believe we will go no matter what. With the bus, and other transportation available, we surely won't melt. We plan on buying the best one day pass.

By the way, did anyone around y'all feel the earthquake today?

Yes, most of us felt it this AM even though the epicenter is nearly 90 miles from us.

The Zoo can actually be better on an overcast or even drizzly day. The animals are often more active. When it is sunny and hot, often they are hiding out in their cool dens. What time of year will you be visiting?

I always recommend taking the main bus tour first. It gives you an idea of the size of the Zoo, and lets you decide what you want to walk back to see for more time. I also recommend taking the Skyfari cable car ride over to the West Mesa and walking down to see the polar bears, one of my favorite exhibits. You can walk down into the canyons fairly easily, often through large flight cages full of tropical birds, and then watch for the moving sidewalks to get back up onto the mesas again. You may want to consider a ticket for the Kangaroo Bus too, as this one allows you to get on and off and several stops (unlike the regular 40 minute bus ride). Plan to see some of the shows in Wegeford Bowl or near the Panda exhibit. The pandas tend to be most active first thing in the AM, and by afternoon are often sleeping in the trees with not much to see. Same goes for the koalas. A good amount of construction is going on at the Zoo right now, so some areas you usually can see from the bus are only accessible by walking. Be sure to walk down Tiger River and see if you can spot any of the new tiger cubs that will be introduced into the exhibit from the nursery later this month. They are triplets.

When you leave the Zoo, you might also want to check out the historic carousel that is just east of the Zoo entrance. I remember riding that after church on Sundays as a very young child and trying to get the brass ring. It hasn't changed at all (except for the price of the ride) in over 50 years.

We will be on the Monarch next Monday (4th) so we will be in San Diego for the day on Tues. I think this is the day I look forward to the most! Thanks for your advice.

We have one of those carousels near us in Ocean City MD. So far, 3 generations of our family have been riding it! Now that I think of it, my parents probably got a ride on it too, so make that 4 generations!:)

I just have to second Splinter's great advice on the zoo. I've been to Sea World and enjoyed it, but I don't rush back to it. But every time I go visit my brother in San Diego we have to go to the zoo no matter what - and my brother goes to the zoo weekly. Definitely recommend the bus tour first if you've never been, but if you want to see the pandas head there straight afterwards.

Archived