Eli's Tours: Eco or ExtremeNav?

aVASTGrl

Hi all! I'm thinking of booking one of these tours for May after the great reviews I've read but I'm not sure which one to book. They both sound great. Has anybody done both who can give pros/cons?

Hi all! I'm thinking of booking one of these tours for May after the great reviews I've read but I'm not sure which one to book. They both sound great. Has anybody done both who can give pros/cons?

We've done, and enjoyed, both. In fact, they rank as our favorite excursions (and we've done a lot).

With the EcoTour, there's less time spent on the boat between activities, as the distances aren't as great. You get to climb Hells Gate and see Bird Island, see the mangroves, and learn more about the ecology of Antigua than you do on the Xtreme.

The Xtreme is on a wickedly fast boat. If you haven't yet seen the video, go to youtube and search on Eli365. The ride is fast, and can be very bumpy - you go out into the Atlantic. You get to swim with the stingrays and see English Harbor.

The crew is terrific on both boats, and will take great care of you. Same great (homemade) lunch on both excursions.

So, guess the question is do you want fast, exciting boat, rays and english harbor, or to climb hells gate, and see bird island and the mangroves, at a slower pace.

Hope this helps!

Jodi

On the Eco Tour you have a good deal of snorkeling time at the reef, and at Hells Gate you can choose to snorkel instead of climb, which gives you quite a bit more time.

With Xtreme, your main snorkeling stop is usually Pillars of Hercules, for a decent length of time. The other "in water" activity is the rays - there's some limited snorkeling there, it's mostly the rays.

I'd have to say the Eco Tour gives you more in water time.

Archived