Delta 2nd Bag now $50

Mildred

[quote name='98Charlie']Yep, meanwhile those who weigh less are paying for those who weigh more and those who weigh more are not pulling the price for their own weight.:confused:

Dianne

I know I'll be flamed for this but it's been on my mind ever since airlines started charging extra for the second checked bag.[/quote]
I am not going to disagree with you.
it is what it is...

I know my old boss who weighed at least 400lbs on a thin day.. and had too much money used to purchase two seats so HE would be comfortable...

[quote name='98Charlie']Yep, meanwhile those who weigh less are paying for those who weigh more and those who weigh more are not pulling the price for their own weight.:confused:

Dianne

I know I'll be flamed for this but it's been on my mind ever since airlines started charging extra for the second checked bag.[/quote]

Hmm, I've been in hair salons where I have been charged more because my hair is long. Would the same thing apply here? I guess not because people will say you can cut your hair easier than someone can lose weight. And you know there will be people asking if they can have an exemption - I weigh more than I should because I have an eating disorder, I have this illness, etc. Then the lawsuits- I'm traumatized because people watched me get on a scale in the airport. It would be interesting if they started charging by a passengers weight. Very interesting.

Maybe they should charge people by the pound.Then maybe people would see how fat they really are and start to lose weight for cheaper air fare.It is terrible how fat people are getting.I look at my elementary days school pics and there is hardly one fat person in there from 1968 to 1975, K to grade 6.I look at my kids class pics from 1997 to 2003, k to grade 6 and half the class is over weight. I am all for it with charging people by the pound.

[quote name='love2cruiseseattle']My problem is with our formal clothes. They will get all wrinkled if we pack them in our duffle type bag. Maybe the RCCL will start letting us bring irons (the forbidden tool:p ).[/quote]

It will only cost you $4.00 on a RCCL cruise to get your formal gown ($3.50 for a suit) pressed. Just have one less margarita than you normally would and it evens out! :p

Imagine how cheap we would all fly if they charged by the amount of brain cells....:p

I have to agree here this paying by how much a person weights is outragious. Some people are heavy because of medications, illness's and so forth the same reason some are skinny. I see a lot of lawsuits over such a move and I would have to back them up for doing so.

We're going to Guatemala in August, have already purchased tickets, am I reading the news article correct that if you have already purchased tickets that you get the rate of $25 per bag? Our 2nd bag was for supplies for the mission trip, not clothing. We're talking about 25 bags here, that really adds $$$$$:(

Yes, I am pretty sure you are reading this correctly.

At the bottom of one of the "baggage policy" pages on the Delta website, they say that Delta made a business decision that anyone buying a ticket before April 9 (I think that was the date the 2nd bag fee went into effect) will pay for the second bag, and after emailing Delta with the receipt details, will get a refund.

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but I plan to take advantage of their "generosity".:rolleyes:

They may handle the $50 second bag charge the same way for people that have already purchased their tickets.

Sheila

Ok, OK, enough is enough with this xtra baggage cost.

DH weighs about 180 lbs. I weigh - well, let's just say under 145 right now. We check into a Delta flight and are allowed one 50-lb bag each and are charged $50 for first bag over that quantity -- each way.

We get on the airplane and are seated beside a pax that weighs well over 200 lbs, for the heck of it, let's say 250 because we all know where I'm going with this.

The pax that weighs 50 to 100 lbs more than us has paid the same amount for the flight as us and is allowed to check the same amount of poundage of luggage free as us.

Where is the equity in the cost?

Personally, I think airlines should start charging per pound for pax and luggage combined to help cut fuel costs.

I feel I am being discriminated against by paying the same fare as someone who weighs up to 100 or more pounds than me and is still allowed to check the same weight luggage in for free as me.

May seem cruel for my thinking, but heck, I'm looking at the big picture here.

Maybe airlines need to start charging for the total weight per pax onboard - body weight plus luggage weight.

Dianne

Good point!

We booked out tickets for our cruise departing in October 2008 back in December 2008. Here is what Delta's currently has listed on their website.

Economy Class - 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands

For customers who purchased tickets on or after April 9 - 1 Checked Bag

Economy Class - 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands

For customers who purchased tickets prior to April 9, 2008 - 2 Checked Bags

Keep in mind that if you booked your flight prior to April 9th, you will still have to pay the 2nd bag fee at check-in. Once you return home you can fill out the online form to get it refunded.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/second_bag_fee/index.jsp

True but they're still the only airline that don't charge for a 1st checked bag. I've learned to pack 1 bag and 1 carryon and hope that they don't start charging for a 1st bag.

Southwest doesn't charge for the first two bags, if people keep paying they are going to keep charging.

I'm shocked and saddend by some of the comments in the thread. I feel like I'm back in High School listening to the "in crowd" once again telling us who is in and who is out. Who should we pick on this week, and overall how come we are just so darn much better than everyone else. If the Airlines go with a system of weighing passenger and luggage for a total to determine the fee.....then so be it. Throw it out, discuss it, but please try and hide your smugness for some of your fellow passengers. :(

Airtran --first checked bag free

2nd bag $10 if done online

$20 at the airport:)

Airtran and Delta follow each other, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some Airtran increases announced soon.

And I know they are blaming this on high fuel, but does anyone really think that they will dump this policy in the future if gas prices drop?

I really don't see what the big deal is....pay the darn $50 and bring what you want!:rolleyes: Good airline prices are still easily found so if I have to pay a few extra dollars to bring what I want then I will! Heck I booked two separate trips with Delta from Seattle to FLL round trip for $241 for the first and $288 for the second. I also just (today actually) got a ticket round trip to Barcelona for $777 also for an upcoming November cruise so there are deals out there if you just LOOK!:cool: Even with luggage fees these prices are GREAT in my book.:)

If they charge me an extra fee for a second bag I still think I got a great deal. Of course I like Shoes and Clothes so I will gladly pay an extra bag fee before I leave the necessities at home!:eek::D

I really don't see what the big deal is....pay the darn $50 and bring what you want!:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury - especially if budgeting for a family vacation. We saw our flights more than double before we purchased them. So, a family that is planning a trip, suddenly sees their budget blown IS going to worry about an extra $50 each way for a bag and will try to figure out a way to cut that out.

And yes - I am unhappy about the charges, because lately - people from the East Coast can get to Hawaii cheaper than those of us in California and they are flying an extra 3000 miles. :rolleyes: I don't begrudge the EC traveler this wonderful deal. But because they are trying to get more people from the East to go to Hawaii, us West Coasters are subsidising those EC discounts with higher fares & baggage fees.

Sure - it was our choice to go to Hawaii as it is our choice to take any vacation. But by the time the rates went up, it was too late to book a comparable vacation in the same price range... so we are still going. Although, I already changed our December 2009 cruise because of these increases in flight rates.

Just because you may have unlimited funds does not mean the rest of the travelers too. All this is doing is causing more delays because everyone wants to carry on their bags instead of paying the fees. Flight delays are going to become even more common because we have to wait for everyone to grab their bags from the overheads... or wait while everyone tries to shove them up there even though it is full. I have flown alot over the years and it was a noticeable difference when I flew in June - not to mention tripping over all of the roller bags in airports now. :rolleyes: The weight is going to be there whether it is in the cargo hold or the cabin. Now families that have children are using their child's allotted carry on for standard luggage, when in the past that child may have only had a tiny backpack for the trip.

So remember, just because $50 isn't a big deal for you - it certainly can be for a budgeting family. You should be a bit more sensitive to others that aren't in the same financial situation as you. I enjoy shoes like the best of them, but my packing habits WILL change due to these changes. And you will see more & more people on CC complaining about the lack of formal wear on cruises.

Hi Guys

I sympathise with you guys and the increased baggage charges being imposed by airlines. However, try this breakdown of charges imposed by 1 of the largest 'low cost' airlines here in Europe (all the values have been converted to US$ and lbs where appropriate). All the charges are for a return trip.

Paying for your flight by credit/debit card - per person (even though all flights paid in 1 transaction on 1 card - $15

Checking in at the airport - per person $15

Priority boarding - no seats allocated - per person $15

1st checked bag (up to 33lbs) - per person $30

2nd and 3rd bag (maximum 3 bags allowed) - per person per bag - $60

If your 1st, 2nd or 3rd bag takes you over the 33lbs limit, then for each 2lbs extra weight it costs an additional $22.

So book a return journey for 4 with only 1 checked bag each (of 44lbs), it adds an extra $740! ($60 payment charge, $60 airport check in, $60 priority boarding, $120 to check in each bag, $440 additional weight charge - which is $110 per person for the increase from 33lbs to 44lbs).

This is why people here in Europe are having to look very carefully at air travel.

By the way, this airline is not always the cheapest, I've proved it and used another carrier. Even so, when travelling with this airline on a 50 minute flight for business with an overnight bag (I can't take it as carry on as I have a briefcase with laptop to carry as well, and only 1 bag allowed in the cabin) it costs me an extra $75 on top of the cost of the flight.

And don't get me started on the cost of on-board refreshments!

Hi Guys

I sympathise with you guys and the increased baggage charges being imposed by airlines. However, try this breakdown of charges imposed by 1 of the largest 'low cost' airlines here in Europe (all the values have been converted to US$ and lbs where appropriate). All the charges are for a return trip.

Paying for your flight by credit/debit card - per person (even though all flights paid in 1 transaction on 1 card - $15

Checking in at the airport - per person $15

Priority boarding - no seats allocated - per person $15

1st checked bag (up to 33lbs) - per person $30

2nd and 3rd bag (maximum 3 bags allowed) - per person per bag - $60

If your 1st, 2nd or 3rd bag takes you over the 33lbs limit, then for each 2lbs extra weight it costs an additional $22.

So book a return journey for 4 with only 1 checked bag each (of 44lbs), it adds an extra $740! ($60 payment charge, $60 airport check in, $60 priority boarding, $120 to check in each bag, $440 additional weight charge - which is $110 per person for the increase from 33lbs to 44lbs).

This is why people here in Europe are having to look very carefully at air travel.

By the way, this airline is not always the cheapest, I've proved it and used another carrier. Even so, when travelling with this airline on a 50 minute flight for business with an overnight bag (I can't take it as carry on as I have a briefcase with laptop to carry as well, and only 1 bag allowed in the cabin) it costs me an extra $75 on top of the cost of the flight.

And don't get me started on the cost of on-board refreshments!

Hi Pete..:)

Americans are famous for complaining about things that Europeans have been putting up with for years.

Every time my DH and I complain about gas prices our son, who lives in the UK ,reminds us that his costs are by the litre.:o

Travel is becoming impossible for many and I doubt things will get better any time soon.:(

For those of you who think the BOA visa for RCI is a great deal, try this. Get a Delta Sky Miles, or American Airlines Advantage Citi Amex card. Initial sign up gives you 25,000 miles, even more if you request a second card for spouse, enough for a free RT ticket.

If you transfer your booking or use Amex as your TA, you get thousands of miles for RCI Cruises. Instead of using the BOA for on board credits use the Amex cards. Delta gives you double miles in grocery stores, gas stations, home improvement stores. they both also run specials that can poss. be used to earn triple miles and extras at times.

You'll rack up more points faster then the RCI visa.

Since most people will book cruises a year or more in advance, you will also be in a position that when flights open up 330 days out you really won't have much trouble getting the flights you want on your free tickets.

Yes, there may be some restrictions around major holidays, and flying outside of the US will be more points, so it may not be advantageous for everyone. Consider the cost of airfare with what your OBC may be and you just may be way ahead. Also using FF miles for your ticket may allow you free bags as well. Even if you have to pay for 1 , so what.

If you are in a position to take advantage of what they offer for your situation, it may just be a much better deal.

I'm sure there are other similar programs as well. We have used these for years.

I was driving by the UPS Store yesterday, and I saw a sign that said "Have us ship your luggage!" I am quite sure sending your bags UPS ground would be much cheaper than paying the airlines. But how would that work for a cruise? Who would you send it to at the port, and how would you make sure it got onto the boat?

It's a good time to book a cruise from a port you can drive to!;)
Two cruise lines out of Galveston and one I wouldn't be caught dead on. Both go to the same places so that gets a little boring. So guess its pack lighter or suck up the costs.

At the bottom of one of the "baggage policy" pages on the Delta website, they say that Delta made a business decision that anyone buying a ticket before April 9 (I think that was the date the 2nd bag fee went into effect) will pay for the second bag, and after emailing Delta with the receipt details, will get a refund.

Yeah, that was a hoot. That "business decision" came about 3 days after the U.S. Dept. of Transportation said that they considered the imposition of these baggage charges on passengers who had purchased tickets before the fee was announced to be an unfair and deceptive trade practice and it would bring enforcement action on airlines (like Delta) who were doing it.

Yeah, that was a hoot. That "business decision" came about 3 days after the U.S. Dept. of Transportation said that they considered the imposition of these baggage charges on passengers who had purchased tickets before the fee was announced to be an unfair and deceptive trade practice and it would bring enforcement action on airlines (like Delta) who were doing it.

Yup.... just like the "business decision" the cruise lines made to refund all of the surcharges imposed after people booked their cruises. ;)

Archived