Dunn's River Falls

TechKnowBabble

Question for anyone who has already climbed the falls, I understand it is quite a hike. How difficult would it be to climb for someone who is not in great shape athletically? I understand IF you cannot make it up climbing the regular route that you can cut off the climb up the rocks and go a easier route? Is this true? I would hate to pay for an excursion that I may not be able to complete. Thanks for any and all responses!

I just climbed the falls with my DH on 10/6. Neither of us are what you call physically fit (I hate exercising), but we're youngish (28 and 41). We did not go on the cruise's excursion, but booked our own private one, so we had a private guide take us up the falls. Luckily he held my hand most of the way up (since I have no sense of balance). I would not recommend the climb for anyone with any sort of real physical disabilities. We saw the cruise tours being herded up the side of the falls without really taking any of the harder or more interesting routes. I don't think my DH or I would have had much trouble with their route. (Ours was far more fun.) Hope this helps! BTW, if you're looking for a private tour guide, I highly recommend Trevor Hudlin Tours www34.brinkster.com/trevhudlintours/default.html trevorhudlin@hotmail.com. Even if you decide not to do the falls, he can help you plan a completely personalized day which will make the whole stop in Jamaica worth it. Have fun in Jamaica!

I'm not sure if I posted a reply correctly earlier, so this might be a duplicate of what I just wrote.

I just climbed the falls with my DH on 10/6. Neither of us are what you call physically fit (I hate exercising), but we're youngish (28 and 41). We did not go on the cruise's excursion, but booked our own private one, so we had a private guide take us up the falls. Luckily he held my hand most of the way up (since I have no sense of balance). I would not recommend the climb for anyone with any sort of real physical disabilities. We saw the cruise tours being herded up the side of the falls without really taking any of the harder or more interesting routes. I don't think my DH or I would have had much trouble with their route. (Ours was far more fun.) Hope this helps! BTW, if you're looking for a private tour guide, I highly recommend Trevor Hudlin Tours www34.brinkster.com/trevhudlintours/default.html trevorhudlin@hotmail.com. Even if you decide not to do the falls, he can help you plan a completely personalized day which will make the whole stop in Jamaica worth it. Have fun in Jamaica!

I'm not sure if I posted a reply correctly earlier, so this might be a duplicate of what I just wrote.

Well neither of us have a real physical disability, I am just overweight and out of shape and was concerned if it would be too much. Plus I like you have no sense of balance, I am 33 and my boyfriend is 27.

If you book an excursion with the cruise line, how early do you get to the falls? I was thinking that it would be better just to take a taxi to the falls as soon as we get off the ship, that way we can get to the falls before all of the crowds. What do you think about this idea?

We just got a taxi early before the crowds and you pay $10 for the entrance fee. You then walk down to the beach and a guide will take you up for a few dollars tip. We found it much cheaper to do this than pay the cruise line.

The taxi will come back for you if you ask, just give them a time.

You can get out if you can't make it and two of the seven in our party did just that. The rest of us are still wandering why we didn't. We range in age from 57 to 62 and I have bad knees. I wouldn't recommend it if you have bad knees. The rocks are very slippery and we all had at least one fall. We had heard it was easy and so much fun and I must say it turned into a survival feeling for us. Would not do it again !!!

I spent a week in Ocho Rios in September. My friend and I are in our mid 40's, both a bit overweight. We did the falls and although it was a bit of a workout, we really enjoyed it. There are pools all along the way where you can stop, sit, and rest. Take your time and it will be fine. I would suggest getting a cab from the pier, if you leave early, you can beat the crowds. If you go with a cruise ship group you will not be able to take your time - you will have to keep up with them (I did this 6 years ago when I was on a cruise).

I don't think the height would be a problem. You are not going straight up, but rather up through several levels. And you can always get out and take the stairs back up if you are uncomfortable.

We used a great driver for the whole week we were there. You can contact him at richietours@yahoo.com or call at 876-457-2077.

Have a great trip!

Sunhoney - it depends if your ship docks in Mo bay or Ocho Rios. If in Och'i then it is just a few minutes. If in Montego Bay then it's a little over an hour and very scary (take your insurance card)

It takes about 45 minutes to climb the falls, but well worth it. It's not hard but sometimes crowded.

Archived