Seymour Narrows

GoofingOff

We're leaving from Vancouver. About what time does the ship go through Seymour Narrows (the book on Alaska cruising says to not miss this even if it's late at night). I know this "depends" but some general info would help.

How about on the last sea day? When might we sail through SN on the last day?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the best part of the Vancouver Island inside passage (on NB cruises) takes place between 11pm and 5am....we passed through Seymor Narrows around midnight, I believe. We could still see lights and the outline of land on either side, but I'm sure it would have been much more spectacular by daylight. It was worth waking up very early the next morning, as there was enough light (in late June at least) to enjoy some of the scenery in the Johnstone Strait.

I don't really understand what the big deal is about Seymour Narrows - it would be fairly low on my list of great pieces of coast seen from the ship. This picture looking back at it after we passed through on the Radiance southbound was shot at 9:08 pm - http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruise2005/cruise2005-462-seymour_narrows-1367.html

Murray

On returning to Vancouver, it would be late afternoon passing SN.

On one trip (in June), my Aunt and I were out on deck watching the lights of Campbell River, so that would have been evening and SN would have been a few hours earlier.

I don't really understand what the big deal is about Seymour Narrows - it would be fairly low on my list of great pieces of coast seen from the ship. This picture looking back at it after we passed through on the Radiance southbound was shot at 9:08 pm - http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruise2005/cruise2005-462-seymour_narrows-1367.html

Murray

Hi Murray,

Seymour Narrows may not have much appeal to some folk but to those of us who enjoy it either by cruise ship or by land,its a landmark in that part of the country.

It was the site of the biggest non nuclear explosion in North America in the 60,s when the danger to shipping "Ripple Rock" was removed.

Its removal caused a convergence of tides that produces eddys that are still quite tricky to navigate.

In fact Seymour Narrows tides control the time of arrival and departure of cruise ships from Vancouver.

Its difficult to see on the outward journey because its generally 6-7 hours after leaving Vancouver but on the inward journey-its truly very dramatic to watch how the big ships navigate the Narrows,often having to turn 90 degrees.

If at any time folk are on land near Seymour Narrows [just north of Campbell River on Vancouver Island] there is a wonderful look out point where you can see ships navigating these tricky waters...

From a devotee!!!

Lu

I lived in Vancouver for 40 years so I know its history and its importance to navigation, but it's just not that impressive as scenery given what else is being seen from the ship.

Point taken Murray,

However for some folk who do not have the privilege of living in area [i live in Florida] its has significance other than a 'scenery' one.

Its historical significance is what I was seeking to highlite,not its scenic beauty,although I happen to believe that its a beautiful part of the area,admittedly not seen from a cruise ship, as your photo aptly points out....

Thanks all, for your feedback. I look forward to checking it out - most likely on the return trip.

Last year, on the NCL Pearl, the ship went this route on the first night and I had no idea until the next morning and saw land a couple hundred yards away, because the ship generally goes west of Vancouver Island out of Seattle.

Thanks all, for your feedback. I look forward to checking it out - most likely on the return trip.

Last year, on the NCL Pearl, the ship went this route on the first night and I had no idea until the next morning and saw land a couple hundred yards away, because the ship generally goes west of Vancouver Island out of Seattle.

Now thats interesting.... I had thought that all ships out of Seattle used the 'open sea' route to preserve time..... You live and learn...

As Murray said, scenic it may not be in comparison to other places but the Johnstone Strait leading eventually into SN is one place to view the Whales.

Most SB ships tend to come through the SN between 7-10pm and depending on your particular cruise, and weather,its still quite a sight to see and experience.

We stayed a couple of years ago for a few days overlooking SN and I can tell you I have never seen such fast moving tides and eddys... First one way and then another..

Hope you enjoy it..

Lu

Hi Murray,

Seymour Narrows may not have much appeal to some folk but to those of us who enjoy it either by cruise ship or by land,its a landmark in that part of the country.

It was the site of the biggest non nuclear explosion in North America in the 60,s when the danger to shipping "Ripple Rock" was removed.

Its removal caused a convergence of tides that produces eddys that are still quite tricky to navigate.

In fact Seymour Narrows tides control the time of arrival and departure of cruise ships from Vancouver.

Its difficult to see on the outward journey because its generally 6-7 hours after leaving Vancouver but on the inward journey-its truly very dramatic to watch how the big ships navigate the Narrows,often having to turn 90 degrees.

If at any time folk are on land near Seymour Narrows [just north of Campbell River on Vancouver Island] there is a wonderful look out point where you can see ships navigating these tricky waters...

From a devotee!!!

Lu

I have to agree with you, I have been thru the narrows more than 40 times over the years and I never get tired of it. There are place in the narrows on a cruise ship that you almost feel you can reach out and touch the shore. Ripple Rock was blasted out in April 1958 and I can remember sitting with my father and watching it on television (B&W). As you likely know with current speed reaching 16 knots, ships want to go thru the Seymour Narrows on a slack tide or when the tide is on their nose as they do not want to get pushed thru and loose steerage. We often will have the ships sitting here off Sechelt for more than an hour waiting for the tide up the coast and on others we witness cruise ships races as they rush up the coast to hit the tide.

I have to agree with you, I have been thru the narrows more than 40 times over the years and I never get tired of it. There are place in the narrows on a cruise ship that you almost feel you can reach out and touch the shore. Ripple Rock was blasted out in April 1958 and I can remember sitting with my father and watching it on television (B&W). As you likely know with current speed reaching 16 knots, ships want to go thru the Seymour Narrows on a slack tide or when the tide is on their nose as they do not want to get pushed thru and loose steerage. We often will have the ships sitting here off Sechelt for more than an hour waiting for the tide up the coast and on others we witness cruise ships races as they rush up the coast to hit the tide.

Can recall sitting down by Race Point a couple of years ago and watching the barges pulling logs and trying to keep ahead of the tides. Understand that the Wood Mill closed this year so that's put an end to that..Pity.

Have always had an interest in places like Seymour Narrows especially with its unique history...

The SB cruise ships coming through at dusk with their lights on was a sight not to be forgotten.

Reading Captain Alberts Weblog [skipper of Veendam] he writes a remarkable log of transversing the Narrows and the effect that strip of water has upon the coming and goings of cruise ships in and out of Vancouver.

hope to be doing this myself next week on the Tahiti Princess NB so I may stay up late to see the Narrows.

Lu

For yours and anyones interest-here is a Captains view of navigating Seymour Narrows.

Hope the link works..

http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/?p=509

Lu

For yours and anyones interest-here is a Captains view of navigating Seymour Narrows.

Hope the link works..

http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/?p=509

Thanks for the link and it worked just fine. I had read it before but I found it interesting to read again. I would have like to hear the story about when he went thru with the 10 knt tide running and why? When we went thru early last August I would estimate that we went thru the Narrows in the 10:30/11 pm time frame and south bound just before the first dinner sitting...time & tide you know.

I don't know the mill to which you are referring but a lot of mills have been closed due to the housing problems in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back that we went through at around 11 PM. Althought it was totally dark by that time, we saw lights (from houses and or B&Bs) and people were shouting and screaming from and to the shore. It was the last exciting point in a wonderful cruise for us.

Anyone know how you can catch a ship that goes through here during some daylight? That would be cool!

Just reporting back that we went through at around 11 PM. Althought it was totally dark by that time, we saw lights (from houses and or B&Bs) and people were shouting and screaming from and to the shore. It was the last exciting point in a wonderful cruise for us.

Anyone know how you can catch a ship that goes through here during some daylight? That would be cool!

That is a toughy because it is so tide dependent. However a 7 night rtn trip in late June or early July out of Vancouver may well put you in the Narrows in daylight or a least twilight north bound and a strong probability south bound. Off the top of my head I can't think of any coastal shipping company that offers passenger service. You could contact BC Ferries and see if they will offer a repositioning trip on the Northern Adventure next spring or perhaps Alaska Ferries....but I don't think AF departs Bellingham, WA until 7 pm so they are even latter getting to the Narrows then

Vancover based ships.

• 9 months later...

I am reviving this thread as I was interested (and a little apprehensive) about passing through the Seymour Narrows. I was surprised when I did a search that there were so many posts about it. So for anyone traveling the inside passage in the future, here's a little informative tidbit.:D

Yes, me too! We are on a NB on Princess and I'm wondering if they announce anything or who I can ask about it? I can't figure out if it's something to stay up late for or get up really early for...hmmm.

To my knowledge they do not announce it but you will be be aware of passing by Campbell River northbound, lots of lights and a pulp mill, on the port side and it is not far from there. However because the timing is so sensitive to the tide and current it is difficult to predict when you will go thru the narrows.

I'm a newbie to this board, and haven't cruised Alaska yet. However, I'm an experienced cruiser. I know how surprised officers (or any crew) are when the pax have the vaguest clue of the demands of their job.

If you're truly interested, why not go to the front desk shortly after embarkation, with a note. Write something like "Query about time pass Seymour Narrows" on the outside. Make the note inside short, and give your cabin number. Ask the front desk to pass it on to a bridge officer when/if convenient. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a note or call with the information.

I'm a newbie to this board, and haven't cruised Alaska yet. However, I'm an experienced cruiser. I know how surprised officers (or any crew) are when the pax have the vaguest clue of the demands of their job.

If you're truly interested, why not go to the front desk shortly after embarkation, with a note. Write something like "Query about time pass Seymour Narrows" on the outside. Make the note inside short, and give your cabin number. Ask the front desk to pass it on to a bridge officer when/if convenient. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a note or call with the information.

REALLY? that is a great idea. I would never have thought about that. The whole thing really fascinates me (I really don't know why) but I did all the research etc. I really am kind of apprehensive too, but know that this is the norm for that area. I just have to trust in the captain. :D

We are doing this cruise again in June, after doing it in June 2007. We went thru at about 11 pm and we all resolved to stay awake long enough to see it! Was very cool (and it seems to me there was a lighthouse there too? anyone know for sure?). there were no announcements (we were on HAL) but we brought our GPS. if you have one that has US/Canada maps preloaded (or you can load these) you can track your whole trip thru Inside Passage. Also helpful for walking around ports). This really made it nice for us--we always knew what island we were passing and could also track our speed and heading.

We sat up in Crows Nest at night after dinner and set GPS by window, so we wouldn't lose signal. Worked so well, the ships engineering officer, who came up to crows nest for a glass of wine, stopped by to look at it and we chatted with him for some time about the ship (my fiancee is an electrical engineer, so they bonded!). we kidded with the crew that we were just making sure the captain didn't get lost.

If you have a GPS, bring it. Run it on batteries in crows nest, then recharge it overnight.

ML

Last year on Zaandam, the Captain made his daily announcements after sailaway from Vancouver. He mentioned we would reach SN around 230am and was taking the scenic route because we had time to kill. (It was also during high fuel prices so not needing to sail full ahead helped HALs balance sheet).

I unsuccessfully tried to stay up for SN...someone at our table the next day said they were awakened by a bright light in their window. It was a lighthouse not far abeam the ship.

On our cruise at least, the "navigational" announcements usually referenced the mileposts and pages in Alaska Cruise Companion.

We are just back from a 7-night rt out of Vancouver and NB we went through SN around 10-11pm. IT was too dark to see anything. SB we went through the narrows at 8pm. Our captain did announce the time when we were going SB, but we had to ask for the NB. Guess they figured there was no use announcing it when it was too dark to see anything.

Archived