Air France transatlantic flight - anyone with AF experience?

gopackgo

Hi,

We will be flying on Air France next August from Atlanta to Paris, then Paris to Stockholm to get to our Baltic's cruise. We are using our Delta air miles and will be in business class seats. Just wondering if anyone has flown with AF and how was it??

On our return flight home, we will be on a Delta transatlantic flight, business class.

Anyone have any ideas on how long Delta will actually be operating? Is there any way to convert our air miles to cash or something?

Any input on Air France is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ginny

Probably you know this already, but Delta and Air France code share flights so it is not always immediately obvious which airline will actually be operating the flight.

Anyway, I have taken both Delta and Air France to Paris. In the US all announcements are either in English or are bi-lingual. However, in Paris they were all in French. On my last flight, an announcment was made saying that there would be a gate change for my connecting flight. I did not make note of the relatively few people getting up and moving from the waiting area. Fortunately, some other travelers realized that I did not speak French and came over to inform me of the gate change announcement. Lesson: understand French or be alert.

Although Delta may file for bankruptcy in the near future, it is unlikely that they will discontinue operating in the near future. If you want to use up some of your frequent flier miles, consider cashing them in for magazines. To find out more, go to http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use/redemption_partners/index.jsp

Delta and Air France code share flights so it is not always immediately obvious which airline will actually be operating the flight.
If it helps, it looks like AF flight numbers on this route are in the 300s for AF-operated flights and 8900s for DL-operated flights. DL flight numbers are two digits for DL-operated flights and in the 8000s for AF-operated flights.

A JP Morgan analyst has been reported today as saying that there is a 75-80% chance that DL will be Chapter 11 by the end of the year. However, that is not the same as a shutdown - UA will have been in Chapter 11 for two years by then, and there are still few signs of them emerging from it.

I was lucky enough to get a great airfare in the leg ALT to CDG on Air France flight 307 for late May of 2005. I have since found out that the aircraft is a 777 and there appears to be some pretty nice things in Business class. Somehow we got put in Business which was a suprise to us and there are some great perk. They have a lounge at the Atlanta airport for those who want a refreshment before bording the plane. All business flights get an extra miles bonus, the seats recline so you can almost lay down. (Sorry, you'll have to get first class to get the private curtins). The one I haven't been able to figure out is the business flight over 11:30 hours has a buffee? Our flight back is on Air France from CDG to LAX 12:30 hours. We will just have to see what it will be like.

The one problem we might have will be catching our flight into Munich, which will only give us 55 minutes after landing at CDG. I have traveled Europe before and pretty well know the Frankfurt Airport and London Heathow. I have not heard too many good things said about CDG Airport. Some feed back would be appricated. Thanks Tim and Cathy

Flew Delta/Air France combo on our Med cruise and the 777 on Air France was fantastic! More leg room, real headrests and a video screen at each seat. So much better than the 767 on Delta :(

Enjoy!

Suitlover,

You are right. I have been seeing alot of new flights advertised on the internet and all seem to be showing 767's. The is alway a chance that the aircraft show could be changed.

This morning I got a conformation that my itinerary has been changed...it looks like my flight from LAX back into Phoenix will now leave 10 minutes sooner. I just wonder how many more of these changes are in store. I have 7 months until until we fly to Munich. I had this same thing happen to us two years ago when we booked an Alaskan Cruise. I was notified two months in advance of the change which never affected our schedule. Its frustrating when you have everything booked and the all of a sudden you get notified of a itinerary change. Happy flying, Tim and Cathy

I just wonder how many more of these changes are in store. I have 7 months until until we fly to Munich.
It's relatively easy to predict when itinerary changes are going to happen on international flights.

There are two international scheduling seasons a year. They run from the last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in March, which are the weekends when most of the world changes from daylight saving time to standard time or vice versa.

About 2-3 months before each new season starts, airlines firm up the schedules for the coming season. This is therefore schedule change time for people with booked itineraries - about August for the coming northern winter season, and about February for the northern summer. My TA friends dread these two periods each year, as some airlines are notorious for changing their schedules so that many of their passengers then misconnect as their connections become illegal - and the TAs have to scrabble around trying to rebook them onto legal connections at a time when most of the cheap seats have already gone.

Flew Delta/Air France combo on our Med cruise and the 777 on Air France was fantastic! More leg room, real headrests and a video screen at each seat. So much better than the 767 on Delta :(

Enjoy!

Did you fly coach or business class. I am trying to book a flight from San Francisco to Rome and have never flown to Europe so I am trying to figure out if the extra fare, which is expensive to me, for Business class is worth it or if coach will suffice. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you

Godskidisme

Archived