Advice for an early MCO flight?

b714210

I need some advice from Shirley, or someone who has done a car rental to return after their cruise. We are coming in on the Sensation on Aug. 21, and Midwest has changed our flight from Orlando to a 12:15 departure. I have read the I work in Port Canaveral thread, and I know it is cheaper to rent a car to get back to the airport. I am totally scared that we will not have enough time to get off the ship, get a shuttle to car rental, get the car rented and get to MCO, return the car, get through security and make the fight. So... would you think it would be better to rent the car and pay for it to be rented an extra 4 days, as well as pay to park at the port, or get a limo back to MCO. Right now, I can find a rental for 8 days, but it is more than 300$! I hate the thought of paying for a car I don't need, or paying over $100 for a shutlle, but I definately hate the thought of missing my flight even more. Help!

I know I am not Shirley but here goes....

We just had an 11:20am flight after our Mariner cruise thanks to Delta cancelling a bunch of daily non-stops and consolidating flights. We decided to book a private car to pick us up so we didn't need to deal with rental car shuttle and returning the car. We requested an early color off the Mariner and were through customs and on the road before 8am.

Last year, we rented a car after our Mariner cruise. Lucked out on a Budget shuttle pulling into the pier just as we got off the ship. Went to Budget, got car, loaded it with luggage and were on the road before 8:30.

You should be fine as long as the ship isn't delayed getting into port. Just have a back up plan just incase. I had researched other flights and had a list of flight numbers with me.

so, just to clarify- you think we will have time to get a shuttle to a car rental, get the car, drive to Orlando and return the car with plenty of time?

IF the ship is on time and if you can get off the ship early and if there is no problems of the road, sure, you will be fine. It all depends on what your comfort level is with having an early flight. I was nervous with my flight since it was so early and that is why I booked a private car. We would have made it with a rental too since the ship was on time. I chose to spend the extra money on the private car so I could walk out of the terminal and hit the road immediately.

You need to decide what you are comfortable with.

Archived