Dry dock QM2

cruzadict

try this:

Good info, the deck 4 balcony looks as though they have glass in them as the poster suggests, my take is that, that may well be polythene sheet to prevent overspray of black paint into a white area. Decks 5 & 6 may not be a requirement to screen off, as they are spraying white into white. The may of course, be decorating the balconies themselves so preventing white over spray onto black. All I am sure of is that my Jan 3rd cruise is a balcony cabin on deck 4 and I have had no notification of any change.

I wouldn't think a glass enclosed hull balcony would be any different from an outside oceanview with a window. And Arubalisa, you are right, it would be like a hot house--unless, of course, Cunard has incorporated the balcony into the cabin, making it a larger cabin with air conditioning. Either way, the concept of a balcony, I would think, would be lost.

Good info, the deck 4 balcony looks as though they have glass in them as the poster suggests, my take is that, that may well be polythene sheet to prevent overspray of black paint into a white area. Decks 5 & 6 may not be a requirement to screen off, as they are spraying white into white. The may of course, be decorating the balconies themselves so preventing white over spray onto black. All I am sure of is that my Jan 3rd cruise is a balcony cabin on deck 4 and I have had no notification of any change.

Geoff:

Your last point is most telling. Of course, if they were going to turn these cabins into ocean-views rather than balconies, you would have been told by now. I think we can safely concluded that they are NOT closing in balconies.

Michael

Geoff:

Your last point is most telling. Of course, if they were going to turn these cabins into ocean-views rather than balconies, you would have been told by now. I think we can safely concluded that they are NOT closing in balconies.

Michael

Exactly - people would have to be told and notified; there would be one heck of a lot of unhappy passengers who paid good money for a balcony, not an oceanview cabin.

Exactly - people would have to be told and notified; there would be one heck of a lot of unhappy passengers who paid good money for a balcony, not an oceanview cabin.

Then what about these photos that were shown above??? It looks like they have already been enclosed!

http://www.hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=8953

More likely shielding the balcony from black paint overspray. The inside of the balcony is white.

Boring! Sensible answers are much duller (even if much more likely) than the 'expert opinions' of people who have seen photos taken from several hundred yards away.......:rolleyes:

Of course, if they were going to turn these cabins into ocean-views rather than balconies, you would have been told by now. I think we can safely concluded that they are NOT closing in balconies.

But it doesn't seem plausible that Cunard would downgrade any passenger who paid for a balcony cabin to a standard oceanview, whatever the size of the window would be...

There is always the possibility that 4-Deck balcony cabins will actually get enclosed and people on those cabins will get 'uprgraded'/transferred to balcony cabins, and notified about it last minute.

Robert, just teasing:D. Please don't shoot.

Just think - 5 years to plan the refit, decide what they are going to do, tell all those loyal customers and UPDATE ALL THE MARKETING BLURB......

In this case however, it seems rather like that ancient Greek proverb: 'A mountain was pregnant and gave birth to a mouse'. :D

But this is due rather to people's own speculation. Cunard has not officially made any announcement, let alone advertisement about this refit.

Cunard has not officially made any announcement, let alone advertisement about this refit.

What they have said (but people have refused to believe as its boring - conspiracies are much more fun) is that its 'technical' and will not affect passenger areas. Good thing too!

Peter

What they have said (but people have refused to believe as its boring - conspiracies are much more fun) is that its 'technical' and will not affect passenger areas. Good thing too!

Peter

At last, a positive piece of information about this drydock!

I have not verified the reliability of Cunard's announcements throughout the years :D, but if the company has announced that no passenger areas will be affected, this is what will most probably happen. I think this statement ends all relevant speculation.

And yes, IMHO no changes is a good thing!;)

• 2 weeks later...

We are from New York and already crossed six times on QM2 as we do not like jetlag and flying.

After having a Grill category, an A, plexiglass balconied cabin; an in hull balcony and...an inside, guess what? Now we take only inside as the north atlantic is always grey, boring, very cool to cold. We rarely enjoyed the balcony, even in NY harbor (Brooklyn terminal) as you have a 50% chance to be facing the wrong way; and we ended up thinking that any balcony is a total waste of time and money.

In addition, unless you choose a grill category (or AA) you always end up in the two sittings Britannia restaurant, certainly with lovely, grand decor but bad to mediocre food and service.

So my advice is: Choose a Grill category cabin (overpriced for what it is) or the cheapest inside, but do not waste your money on a balcony on the Transatlantic route.

Yes, we were on her in May and she badly needed some painting inside and outside.

Aslo, I wish they would have redone the "Winter Garden" as it is certainly the ugliest room afloat to day: Cold to frigid ambience, uncomfortable chairs, bar always closed when you need it, and those lights! you look 30 years older under the lights as they emphasize all your wrinkles...not needed, thank you Cunard for making your passengers like old wrecks.

Archived