Navy ship fire caused by smoking

abcten

I suppose the short answer to this is.........as soon as cruiselines figure out a way to replace lost revenue and bookings from those that smoke which is still about 30% of the nation's population.

However it certainly makes sense it would take a lot of bookings to replace just one case of damages of $70 million to a ship caused by smoking..........

An endless debate that goes on..........and on........and on...........

I suppose the short answer to this is.........as soon as cruiselines figure out a way to replace lost revenue and bookings from those that smoke which is still about 30% of the nation's population.

However it certainly makes sense it would take a lot of bookings to replace just one case of damages of $70 million to a ship caused by smoking..........

An endless debate that goes on..........and on........and on...........

30% is way too high. The latest data shows smokers just barely dropped below 20% of the ADULT population for the first time in 2007. So smokers represent about 15% of the OVERALL population.

30% is way too high. The latest data shows smokers just barely dropped below 20% of the ADULT population for the first time in 2007. So smokers represent about 15% of the OVERALL population.

and in terms of folks who cruise it is an even lower percentage as the greatest number of smokers are in the lower financial/socio demographics.

The statistics I heard recently indicate the percent of smokers in U.S. adult population is now about 20%. (I have no idea about Canada but expect it is similar). It may vary by cruiseline but I would be surprised if the percentage of smokers on HAL ships is more than 12-15%. Not all smokers in society as a whole cruise, of course.

Bobnatt is right. Many smokers fall into a lower socio economic group.....NOT ALL certainly but many.

Don't get hung up on a number..........I hadn't checked the number in over a year.......it is still a revenue issue for most cruiselines, which is the short answer....

By the way, you and I are on the same page here..........but I've found for threads dealing with smoking, dress codes or tipping there really isn't a way to eliminate emotion (no matter which side you fall on).

What is the right thing to do and sometimes the smart thing to do, doesn't always happen when that ol revenue thing crops up..........

\

All we can do is hope:)

This has nothing to do with the cruise industry.

On board a Navy Ship,, you follow the rules of the Capt.

On ALL Navy ships, he sets the Place, Time , Duration of when smoking is allowed.

With over 5,000 men on board a ship, there are those who will "Sneak" and have a smoke. 99.9% of the time, you have those that either get away with it and there is no problem. THen you have this..Almost worst case scenario..

But rest assured,, this kid will, if and when found,, will face a much harsher punishment than you or anyone as a civilian will ever face..

On a cruise ship,, its all about the $$$$$$..

Lost revenue from banning all smoking will never be made up. Therfor the cost of cruising will go up to recover this..

Can you see it now, A surcharge added for Non Smoking.. ;)

I think the revenue argument is on the verge of disappearing as are the total number of smokers. They are losing their 'heft" and threat to no longer sail is becoming less important to cruise lines.

The insurance companies will continue to raise the premiums for those ships which continue to permit smoking and as the premiums get higher, the cost the smokers force onto the cruise lines will become too high for them to agree to in order to let those few surviving smokers 'do their thing.'

As the numbers shrink, the influence of the 'we won't cruise' argument carries less and less force.

Most smokers will have to quit sooner or later for one reason or another so as more do quit, those remaining become less tolerated. There isn't much safety in numbers left as there are fewer numbers remaining.

As always, JMO.......

Interesting statement......not wanting to cause a big fight, but very interesting.....

This is a statement of fact. As income level increases (and, for that matter, as education level increases), the percent of smokers decreases. Those are facts, not opinions. Can't imagine why it would start a big fight since it is merely stating a fact. But, yes, it is interesting to ponder.

Keep in mind, the 15-20% population of smokers only applies to the US. The percentages are higher in Canada (surprised me too), and much much higher in Asia. I don't know where Europe stands as a whole.

Since the USD value is low compared to most other currencies, it makes cruising on US ships appealing to non-US citizens. I don't think entire lines will become non-smoking, but maybe someone will try one ship in their fleet as non-smoking again. It was tried before, but wasn't successful. Maybe it would be now.

They sailed smoke free for SIX years. They didn't change itineraries and those who wanted to sail the smoke free ship got sick of the same old, over and over again. That was ONE of the reasons. They would not have sailed smoke free for SIX years if it was such a money loser, would they?

I also again emphasize there are fewer and fewer smokers. There are fewer of them participating in anything as their numbers shrink.

Keep in mind, the 15-20% population of smokers only applies to the US. The percentages are higher in Canada (surprised me too), and much much higher in Asia. I don't know where Europe stands as a whole.

Since the USD value is low compared to most other currencies, it makes cruising on US ships appealing to non-US citizens. I don't think entire lines will become non-smoking, but maybe someone will try one ship in their fleet as non-smoking again. It was tried before, but wasn't successful. Maybe it would be now.

While certainly there are cruisers from other countries sailing from U.S. ports on all the cruises, their numbers are low in comparison to how many U.S. and Canada. Many European countries are enforcing strict non-smoking rules. Ireland, Belgium and Italy among them. Those countries were formally known to have many smokers. Perhaps their numbers have shrunk as well?

How much higher is the percentage of adult smokers in Canada? About 5%, at most?

I live in Canada and I dont know what the percentage of non-smokers vs smokers is in Canada. But what I can tell you from my experience is that the government has raised the price of cigarettes up so high that the average joe cannot afford to smoke.

The building I work in employs over 200 people and only 1 person smokes. :eek:

The government has changed the smoking policy rules drastically over the past several years - and are now considering a no-smoking policy on beaches, in parks, etc. They have already put a ban on people smoking in cars when children are present.

As an ex-smoker (glad I am), I would like to see it banned completely. Not only on cruise ships but everywhere.

If you've been to France or Italy recently you would know how prevalent smoking still is. It seems that Europeans generally have been much slower to implement smoking bans, education campaigns, etc. With the much stronger Euro vs. the US $, the lines will not want to alienate a fairly large segment of their potential market. Even so, the fact that smoking is largely reflective of lower socio-economic position should ultimately reduce

the lines' desire to cater to an ever-shrinking group.

the fire happened in an area of the ship that was non-smoking in an area that flammable liquids weren't to be kept. Both the CPT and the Exec have been relieved from duty because of it. There is an old(WWII) adage....that you can make something fool proof but not sailor proof....

Actually the fire was caused by a careless smoker. 40,000 people are killed each year by cars---although in each case it was caused by someone doing something wrong. yet we don't want cars banned(alcohol too). I don't smoke and don't like smoking but another prohibition will only make matters worse. Most cruise lines have serverely limited smoking but haven't banned it.

Two ships that caught fire in the engine room! When are they going to do the sensible thing and ban engines on ships.................!!!

3/8/2008............Queen of the West....Majestic Cruise Line.............

12/2/2007..........M/S Aurora..............MG TRavel group.............

If you've been to France or Italy recently you would know how prevalent smoking still is. It seems that Europeans generally have been much slower to implement smoking bans, education campaigns, etc. With the much stronger Euro vs. the US $, the lines will not want to alienate a fairly large segment of their potential market. Even so, the fact that smoking is largely reflective of lower socio-economic position should ultimately reduce

the lines' desire to cater to an ever-shrinking group.

Well, aren't we charming????

I haven't been to Europe (recently or otherwise), nor have I seen their statistics, which is exactly why I simply said that I didn't know.

Two ships that caught fire in the engine room! When are they going to do the sensible thing and ban engines on ships.................!!!

3/8/2008............Queen of the West....Majestic Cruise Line.............

12/2/2007..........M/S Aurora..............MG TRavel group.............

LMAO!

I prefer sail to engine............

BTW...........spent 3 months in OKC a couple of years ago. NICE city...........and Cattleman's has GREAT steaks.............

Thanks.......it is a nice city (but hot:rolleyes: )..........Cattlemen's is a classic........and gas today is $3.39 a gallon....

I prefer sail to engine............

BTW...........spent 3 months in OKC a couple of years ago. NICE city...........and Cattleman's has GREAT steaks.............

The steaks are great, but so is the house salad dressing!!!

And it is nice here, but our trees are shrubs compared to yours. I've spent time in Charlotte and Ashville. Love those fish camps! Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Archived