"Moisture wicking" clothing...?

terri910

I've been reading about "moisture wicking" clothing, which theoretically is supposed to "wick" the moisture (read: "sweat") away from your body, thus keeping you cooler.

Has anyone bought and worn this type of clothing? Does it work? HOW does it work?

I have many shirts that are moisture wicking. They are excellent and WAY better than cotton t shirts.

I love them and since I ride my horse and do chores daily I work up a powerful sweat. The shirts dry quickly and I can take one right out of the wash, hang it up and it's ready to wear in about an hour.

I really like these fabrics and I think they do help me stay more comfortable.

Sports Authority occasionally has them on clearance and that's where I got a few shirts and also a few pairs of shorts that absolutely rock when biking or hiking. Very quick drying and cool.

We wear them all the time--hats, t-shirts, bras, etc. We buy at outlet stores (Nike, Adidas) and online, mostly (campmor.com, sierratradingpost.com, cabelas.com) The styles tend to be more athletic but you can get a polo shirt and a regular t-shirt, at least. I got my husband addicted last year--he hardly wears anything else for casual wear now. Name brands have patented (trademarked?) names for their fabrics. Nike's is called dri-fit. Coolmax (by Dupont I think) is like Goretex--can be bought & used by various mfrs.

How it works?

http://www.footballkitdesigner.co.uk/wicking-fabric_article.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolmax

Pertinent piece of information from the first article is that cotton will absorb 7% of its weight in water, polyester only 0.4%.

Hello....

REI sells many brands of "wicking" clothing. My husband's worn a lot of the items since they came out.

I bought a couple of shirts for tropical vacations this year and they were excellent for staying cooler in really humid weather.

I've always just worn cotton tee shirts for walking in the morning; now I'm a convert to "wicking" as it really is more comfortable...and very quick to wash and dry.

I hope this is helpful.

murphysmum:rolleyes:

Archived