THINKING of doing a 4-nighter on the Monarch of the Seas

We've sailed twice before. Never with RCCL. Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Dawn in '06 and then we did the Disney Magic in April of this year. Both cruises were 7-nighters. We really enjoyed both.

It will be our family of 4 that goes (us and our boys 12 & 13). Here are my questions. What type of kid clubs are there? And what are their age groups? I know on Norwegian my kids didn't really care for the clubs mainly because they were in different groups because of their age. And how do you think we'd like the 4N compared to the 7NT? The itinerary he's looking at goes to Nassau and CocoCay. We would stay on the ship during Nassau since we don't really care for it. and we've never done a day on the ship while everyone else was on the island so that would be different.

But overall, how do you think the ships compare (Dawn, Magic and Monarch), as well as the food and service and kids clubs?

We've sailed twice before. Never with RCCL. Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Dawn in '06 and then we did the Disney Magic in April of this year. Both cruises were 7-nighters. We really enjoyed both.

It will be our family of 4 that goes (us and our boys 12 & 13). Here are my questions. What type of kid clubs are there?

The Adventure Ocean Program is an award winning program found on all of RCCL's ships. There are various "clubs" so to speak for toddlers, pre-teens, and teens. I think they are grouped from 3-5, 6-9, 10-12, 13-17, but you need to check on the website at rccl.com.And what are their age groups? I know on Norwegian my kids didn't really care for the clubs mainly because they were in different groups because of their age.

And how do you think we'd like the 4N compared to the 7NT?

Well, it is like taking a 7 Night Cruise in a 4 Night format. Food, service, and overall experience is just as great! You can't go wrong with the Monarch 4 Night Cruise. :)

The itinerary he's looking at goes to Nassau and CocoCay. We would stay on the ship during Nassau since we don't really care for it. and we've never done a day on the ship while everyone else was on the island so that would be different.

Really just a relaxing day where you can go to the spa, gym, actually swim in the pools with out it being too crowded, sun bathe, play basketball, and just enjoy a day onboard while everyone else is ashore. I usually like to read a good book in the shade overlooking Nassau.

But overall, how do you think the ships compare (Dawn, Magic and Monarch), as well as the food and service and kids clubs?

Monarch is a great ship. She is not as new as Dawm or Magic, but she recently had an extensive refurbishment to include multiple restaurants, an enhanced pool decks, renovation of all public areas and staterooms, and new bedding. She has a beautiful spa and gym complex as well as shopping area. Service and food has always been incredible (in my experience). Whether it be in the dining room, room service, or the Windjammer, the food and service has always been incredible.

Have you looked at the deck plans of the Monarch of the Seas. I would look at the plans and also look at the plans of your past cruise ships. My only advice would be (if you can) to book a Superior Ocean View Stateroom on Deck 9 or one of the balcony/suites cabins on deck 10, as the rooms are VERY VERY tiny if you book interior cabins or oceanview cabins on decks below deck 9.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

The kids will LOVE RCI's AO program! You probably will only see them for dinner! I don't know what the age cut-off is, but they will have a blast! RCI rivals Disney for kids.

Of course, a 4 nighter isn't the same as a 7 nighter--you are going to have some folks who will be trying to fit in 7 nights of fun into 4 nights. But, it shouldn't affect what your family wants to do in any way!

We, too, stay on the ship in Nassau--(hate that port!) and it's heaven! ALmost everyone else will be gone, and the ship will be like your own private yacht! Enjoy that day! Coco Cay is a must-do--beautiful and fun!

Can't comment about the food--you won't go hungry, if that's your worry. All cruiselines (mainstream) have been cutting back on the dining experience,. The food is good--not "haute cuisine", but basic food. Plenty of it!

I think you'll enjoy Royal.

Monarch is a great ship. She is not as new as Dawm or Magic, but she recently had an extensive refurbishment to include multiple restaurants, an enhanced pool decks, renovation of all public areas and staterooms, and new bedding. She has a beautiful spa and gym complex as well as shopping area. Service and food has always been incredible (in my experience). Whether it be in the dining room, room service, or the Windjammer, the food and service has always been incredible.

Have you looked at the deck plans of the Monarch of the Seas. I would look at the plans and also look at the plans of your past cruise ships. My only advice would be (if you can) to book a Superior Ocean View Stateroom on Deck 9 or one of the balcony/suites cabins on deck 10, as the rooms are VERY VERY tiny if you book interior cabins or oceanview cabins on decks below deck 9.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Unless different ships have different divisions, I believe that the ages are 3-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14 & 15-17.

Archived