Mosquito repellents

scooton

I smelled like a chemical factory while in Alaska with 29% Deet on and it still didn't work. I thought mosquitos would not be a problem in the rain. Boy, was I wrong! My suggestion is to wait until you are there and buy the highest concentrated Deet product you can and hope for the best. Good luck.

We used the Jungle Juice on our trip last month, it worked great. We didn't need it that often as it was misty and cold and we were well covered most of the time. But a few times sitting by the Kenai river we were buzzed like crazy and we would spray the juice all over our clothes, heads, hair and chair and it made a huge difference. I don't think we could have sat by the river without it. It was lightweight and only had the faint oder of deet, not bad. It was fairly cheap too, about 6 bucks a bottle, well worth it. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/669551

Jungle Juice is 98% deet. WOW!!!

Deep Woods Off is a mere 25% - I was hoping that would be enough.

Any Alaska natives or frequent visitors care to give thier opinion?

I have already suffered viral menegial encephalitis and it was supposed to have come form a mosquito bite.

Don't want to do that ever again.

Any Alaska natives or frequent visitors care to give thier opinion?

the technical term in my office is "hippy sh!t". as in "deet just ate holes in my raingear and my skin is reacting to it, anybody got some hippy sh!t?"

one brand is by repel and it's lemon eucalyptus oil.

another is by cutters (the nuclear deet people) called 'advanced'. it uses picaridin rather than deet.

you'll need to reapply it more often, but i'd start with anything before going to deet. haven't used the stuff in 10 years, and won't. i also don't apply as a preventative. i can wave off most bugs (and it hasn't been a bad bug year) but if i'm working my fish gear and swatting my face with fish gurry hands just isn't something that i want to do, then i'll put on some hippy sh!t.

avoid perfumes and heavily scented shampoos. or stand next to someone who did use them. even though it has been claimed that our mosquitos can have sex with a chicken while standing flat foot, it's not as bad as northern wisconsin or the u.p.

the technical term in my office is "hippy sh!t". as in "deet just ate holes in my raingear and my skin is reacting to it, anybody got some hippy sh!t?"

one brand is by repel and it's lemon eucalyptus oil.

another is by cutters (the nuclear deet people) called 'advanced'. it uses picaridin rather than deet.

you'll need to reapply it more often, but i'd start with anything before going to deet. haven't used the stuff in 10 years, and won't. i also don't apply as a preventative. i can wave off most bugs (and it hasn't been a bad bug year) but if i'm working my fish gear and swatting my face with fish gurry hands just isn't something that i want to do, then i'll put on some hippy sh!t.

avoid perfumes and heavily scented shampoos. or stand next to someone who did use them. even though it has been claimed that our mosquitos can have sex with a chicken while standing flat foot, it's not as bad as northern wisconsin or the u.p.

Geez...pretty good one! Up there with the "dark place" reply.

Actually, this was still on my list. I'm with the "hippies"...

Thanks again.

Here in Southcentral Alaska (Kenai, Soldotna, Homer, Seward, etc) we are having the worst mosquito year I can remember in 30 years. So by all means give the kinder, gentler, non-DEET stuff a try and if it works for you - great. But have the REPEL in your pocket in case it doesn't. And do avoid perfumes and sugary drinks if you can - they seem to agitate and attract the buggers. Fortunately, I have never heard of anyone getting any diseases from our mosquitos, except maybe mental diseases when they drive you crazy. And they LOVE to show up when you are cleaning fish - must be all that fish blood. So make sure you are well sprayed prior to cleaning your fish if you have to clean your own.

Thanks for the replies re the hi % of Deet. We avoid the Deet products unless we go into the woods behind our house. And then we only spray our clothes - the chiggers here really like me.

I am a mosquito magnet :mad: but have managed to keep them at bay with a blend of essential oils in a base of Jojoba oil. You may be able to find a natural alternative at your local health food store. The one we make up at home is Lemon Tea Tree, Atlas Cedarwood and Patchouli essential oils. Works really well when I am working in the garden. The skeeters buzz all about but never land for a meal!

We'll be bringing the 25% deet (unless I can score a can of alternative spay at the sporting good store) and a roll on of the essential oils.

What with the worst year for skeeters, the cold rainy weather, rock slides on the highway and flooding rivers I am starting to wonder just how much of a "vacation" this will be. ;)

Holly COW..it never occured to me about the Mossies.......!! Glad I stumbled on this thread! All good info!! Sounds like it has been cool and wet up there..so will a warm up. make the flying biters worse, or slow them down?? Hmm one more thing to bring along!! WhhoooHooo! What a hoot!!

Bring all the "alternatives" you want, but make sure you have the back-up can, bottle, or wipes with DEET. Most of you aren't doing anything that requires 100% DEET; I only use more than 25-30% if we run out and only have stronger available.

There are many different species of mosquitoes, and I know for a fact that many people who think they're fine with alternative methods have been reduced to begging to share our DEET sprays (yes, after warning them to bring DEET, we make them beg:eek: ). All I can figure out, since they swear that alternative stuff works for them normally, is that it's a different species of skeeter that is attacking them.

Also, mosquitoes are attracted to people differently (I think it's the amount of CO2 different people give off). So just because one alternative works for a person, doesn't mean it will work for the rest of the populace.

Our son became allergic to DEET a few years ago, and being an outdoorsperson, he has tried everything else. Everything else doesn't cut it.

Lastly, I keep reading that light blue is a bad color to wear...that it attracts mosquitoes. I think light colors in general are bad, but that yellow is the absolute worst for me. Sometimes I wear it in the yard, and in the midst of swatting mosquitoes and wondering why they're worse than normal, realize that I'm wearing yellow, go change, and voila, no problem. And as others have already stated, leave the scented beauty products alone. No perfume, hair stuff, strongly scented shampoos and conditioners, lotions, and sunscreens. I'm not saying don't use sunscreen...just choose one that only you can detect the scent of when you use it...they are out there. My MIL just can't resist the perfume for any social occasion, including picnics...and then wonders why no one sits by her. Well, she's the mosquito magnet, so the rest of us don't have to worry about being bitten as long as we stay upwind of her.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I tend to attract bites from all kinds of flying creatures so I'm worried about the mossies. I'll pick up some DEET in Vancouver. I'm not taking any chances! Is it really as bad for you as some people are making out?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I tend to attract bites from all kinds of flying creatures so I'm worried about the mossies. I'll pick up some DEET in Vancouver. I'm not taking any chances! Is it really as bad for you as some people are making out?

It totally depends on where you are and when. It is unpredictable even day to day. I rarely use repellent in my yard, but some days (some weeks, even), you'd be a fool to be outside without DEET.

I am able to use the 100% deet with no ill effects, except that I don't like the smell. But I guess some people are more sensitive than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back tonight on Cape Cod from Celeb Mercury..Wonderful trip!! Encounterd ONE mosquito. Maybe just hit it right. I had done float plane to Toku?? Lodge..Excellent..One mosquito, 5 bears !! I bet September will be just fine...still feel my sea legs!

Archived