Payment of Reciprocity Fee at the Sanitago Airport

SelectSys

My understanding is that one can pay the $131 fee with either cash or credit cards at the airport. Does anyone know if immigration officials charge an extra premium to use credit cards? Thanks in advance.

Is the reciprocity fee in effect if transiting through Santiago?

We are traveling Lima-Santiago-Puerto Montt. We will ( I assume) clear customs in Santiago prior to boarding our flight to P.M.

Thanks

We are traveling Lima-Santiago-Puerto Montt. We will ( I assume) clear customs in Santiago prior to boarding our flight to P.M.

Thanks

I believe so, you are entering Chile as your final destination - Puerto Montt - and as such the fee would be required. If you were just connecting to another international flight the fee would not be required - e.g., Lima - Santiago - Buenos Aires. This would likely require you to stay in the transit lounge and not truly enter the country.

Disclaimer - some speculation in this response as my upcoming trip will be my first to Chile.

My understanding is that one can pay the $131 fee with either cash or credit cards at the airport. Does anyone know if immigration officials charge an extra premium to use credit cards? Thanks in advance.

No extra premium for the credit card. I would also be sure to have USA currency just in case their credit card system is down. And, make sure that the dollars you have are crisp bills. They will not accept currency that is in poor condition.

Keith

Thanks

You will not have to pay the additional airport fee to tranist Chile. Whatever fees are required would already be in your cruise fare.

Keith

No extra premium for the credit card. I would also be sure to have USA currency just in case their credit card system is down. And, make sure that the dollars you have are crisp bills. They will not accept currency that is in poor condition.

Keith

To add on to this:

DO NOT try to pay with US $100's. There is a tremendous amount of counterfeit $100's in SA. They are generally not accepted anywhere.

Best combination for the new fee-6 20's, a 10 and a 1. Get the money NEW from your bank, keep it in a separate envelope and if you can't use the credit card machine (which is "broken" frequently), you are thoroughly prepared.

DO NOT count on the ATM machine in the airport having much money in it.

And the currency exchange in the airport-which will give you a cash advance off your credit card-charges EXORBITANT fees (their fee + foreign credit card fee + exchange fees)

Greatam - what do you suggest we do when we arrive without Chilean money? There will be 10 of us that need to get transportation to the Hotel Bonaparte. How will we pay the driver and where should we go in Santiago on a Friday to obtain cash? We are in Santiago for Friday night and Vina del Mar on Saturday night.

Thank you,

Nancy

To add on to this:

DO NOT try to pay with US $100's. There is a tremendous amount of counterfeit $100's in SA. They are generally not accepted anywhere.

Best combination for the new fee-6 20's, a 10 and a 1. Get the money NEW from your bank, keep it in a separate envelope and if you can't use the credit card machine (which is "broken" frequently), you are thoroughly prepared.

And the currency exchange in the airport-which will give you a cash advance off your credit card-charges EXORBITANT fees (their fee + foreign credit card fee + exchange fees)

I thought I was clear about this. I said that folks should have United States Currency already with them. Therefore they should not count on finding an ATM machine.

Oh and by the way, we did use a USA $100.00 bill (in fact two for my wife and myself without a problem). The key as I said is to have crisp money. And, I would have more than is required which is required should they not be happy with a particular bill.

As I said, one should not count on the credit card machine working.

Keith

Thanks to Keith1010 and greatam for their recommendations. Even though I hate travelling with cash, I'll hit likely hit the AA credit union ATM before boarding.

You will not have to pay the additional airport fee to tranist Chile. Whatever fees are required would already be in your cruise fare.

Just curious - the question was for air travel Lima - Santiago - Puerto Mont - why wouldn't the fee be required? It seems since the final destination is in Chile that a reciprocity fee would be required.

Also, do the cruise companies get Chilean officials to stamp or provide attachments for passports? I would expect you would need to show evidence or you would get charged again. Perhaps it is all electronic but the paper would be a good backup.

Thanks

To add on to this:

How does SCL compare with EZE or GRU? I have never really thought twice about not getting money from the ATM for the longest time.

You are correct about the "money changers!" They are certainly the providers of last resort. I remember flying into MXP a while back early in the morning and watching people line up to wait for the currency exchange to open. It was amazing to see people queue for the pleasure of being ripped off! I went to the ATM , got my money, and was gone in a minute.

I was not concerned about having the reciprocity fee. That will be in an envelope that we prepare in the US. My concern is how to pay the cab driver if we are unable to use the ATM in the Santiago airport.

My answer about the money (USA Currency) was for SelectSys.

While you usually do better with an ATM, I would suggest that you obtain some local currency before you leave the states. That way you will not have to worry about getting local currency at the airport for your transporation to the hotel.

Keith

We have dual Canadian/British citizenship and can travel with British passports. I understand there is no reciprocity fee for British citizens. I think I'd better ask if this fee is already included in our cruise fare!

I thought I was clear about this. I said that folks should have United States Currency already with them. Therefore they should not count on finding an ATM machine.

Oh and by the way, we did use a USA $100.00 bill (in fact two for my wife and myself without a problem). The key as I said is to have crisp money. And, I would have more than is required which is required should they not be happy with a particular bill.

As I said, one should not count on the credit card machine working.

Keith

There is an ATM machine IN THE AIRPORT about 200 feet from where you pay the fee. However, this machine is LACKING in money a lot of time. Need $100.00???? You may only get $40.00. The machine LIMITS the amount of money that can be taken out depending on how much money is actually in the machine. So don't count on paying the reciprocity fee out of the ATM, although it IS there.

You were very lucky with the $100.00 bill. Counterfeit $100.00's are all over SA and real US $100.00 are becoming VERY difficult to use.

batoryfirst

Get some Chilean pesos from you local bank. Unless you deal with a very small bank, most banks (Chase, B of A, Wells Fargo, etc. etc) can order currency delivered to the local bank. No need to go to an American Express or Travelex office. It usually takes about 10 days to get currency into your local bank. Chase automatically deducts your purchase from your account. Nice feature if you bank at Chase.

Just curious - the question was for air travel Lima - Santiago - Puerto Mont - why wouldn't the fee be required? It seems since the final destination is in Chile that a reciprocity fee would be required.

You are correct. Since the FINAL destination is Chile, the reciprocity fee is paid. And immigration/customs is handled in Santiago. First entry into Chile, same as first entry into the US.

Also, do the cruise companies get Chilean officials to stamp or provide attachments for passports? I would expect you would need to show evidence or you would get charged again. Perhaps it is all electronic but the paper would be a good backup.

IF you arrive by cruise ship, you do not get ANYTHING. Four or five years ago, SOME people were charged arriving Chile by ship and some weren't. SOME of the cruise lines had gone to the Chilean government and "cut a deal" with a discounted fee, which was added into the cruise fees.

Today, all entry into Chile via ship is included in the cruise fare and is done via the "discounted" reciprocity fee. You CANNOT re enter Chile for free IF your only entry was via cruise ship. There are NO records for entry fee paid kept either via a cruise ship OR the airport. The only record is a swipe of your passport and the Chilean entry form-which has limited info and is only kept until you LEAVE Chile. That is why the fee paid is a RECIPROCITY fee, NOT a visa. There is NO info asked for-name, address, gender, etc. And NO info kept for future use. When you arrive by air and pay the fee, MAKE SURE the receipt they staple to your passport is SECURELY fastened. It is the ONLY proof you paid the fee. One of my business associates lost the receipt. He paid again.

How does SCL compare with EZE or GRU? I have never really thought twice about not getting money from the ATM for the longest time.

There are plenty of ATM's all over Chile. Just the ones at the airport have a "limiting" feature, so the money doesn't get wiped out of the machine in just a few transactions. Most likely because Americans were showing up in SCL, planning to use their credit cards for the fee. When the credit card machine was "broken" (happens frequently), they went to the ATM. Then they were wiping out the ATM getting money for the fee. The ATM MAKES MONEY off the ATM fees. If you allow a lot of large transactions, less money in fees for the ATM owner. So the machine itself has a "limiting" feature.

There is an ATM machine IN THE AIRPORT about 200 feet from where you pay the fee. However, this machine is LACKING in money a lot of time. Need $100.00???? You may only get $40.00. The machine LIMITS the amount of money that can be taken out depending on how much money is actually in the machine. So don't count on paying the reciprocity fee out of the ATM, although it IS there.

You were very lucky with the $100.00 bill. Counterfeit $100.00's are all over SA and real US $100.00 are becoming VERY difficult to use.

batoryfirst

Get some Chilean pesos from you local bank. Unless you deal with a very small bank, most banks (Chase, B of A, Wells Fargo, etc. etc) can order currency delivered to the local bank. No need to go to an American Express or Travelex office. It usually takes about 10 days to get currency into your local bank. Chase automatically deducts your purchase from your account. Nice feature if you bank at Chase.

As I've said all along, I would not rely on an ATM machine. I would bring crisp USA currency from home. What you are saying is what I have said. The only difference is that I have said that I had no problem handing them crisp $100.00 bills. :)

I didn't try to use them anywhere else but at the airport.

Keith

When you arrive by air and pay the fee, MAKE SURE the receipt they staple to your passport is SECURELY fastened. It is the ONLY proof you paid the fee. One of my business associates lost the receipt. He paid again.

Thanks, I will make sure to check on the staple and give it an extra whack if need be.

... Just the ones at the airport have a "limiting" feature, so the money doesn't get wiped out of the machine in just a few transactions. Most likely because Americans were showing up in SCL, planning to use their credit cards for the fee. When the credit card machine was "broken" (happens frequently), they went to the ATM. Then they were wiping out the ATM getting money for the fee. The ATM MAKES MONEY off the ATM fees. If you allow a lot of large transactions, less money in fees for the ATM owner. So the machine itself has a "limiting" feature.

The whole thing sounds like it is designed to drive people to visit my least favorite people - "money changers" - with the broken credit card machines, limited cash from ATM's, etc.

In any event I'm sitting in MIA waiting to get on the aircraft with my cash in hand. Thanks for the advice!

postscript -

Well the agent took my semi-crisp ATM provided money without any questions. I had planned on going to the bank but ran out of time...

Also, the credit card machines were working put this may have been simply a lucky day.

One thing for all first time visitors to remember - pay the reciprocity fees prior to going through the immigration line. Some people seemed unaware that they were going to be charged a fee and then wasted a bit of time.

While it is only a single sample - my experience with going through SCL inbound was quite good and everything was handled very efficiently. I think we got off the plane and were completely through the terminal in no more than 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith

So if you are just arriving in Santiago for the purpose of transfering to a cruiseship in Valparaiso, the $131 fee is not applicable? I've heard conflicting statements on this. The cruiseline (NCL) has not been helpful at all when I ask them about it. I'm taking my first cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires on November 23 on the Norwegian Sun.

I also am puzzled by the ATM machine in the Santiago airport having U.S. Dollars. I thought the purpose of an ATM machine in a foreign country was to get the local currency?

So if you are just arriving in Santiago for the purpose of transfering to a cruiseship in Valparaiso, the $131 fee is not applicable? I've heard conflicting statements on this. The cruiseline (NCL) has not been helpful at all when I ask them about it. I'm taking my first cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires on November 23 on the Norwegian Sun.

I also am puzzled by the ATM machine in the Santiago airport having U.S. Dollars. I thought the purpose of an ATM machine in a foreign country was to get the local currency?

If you are landing in Santiago, you'll have to pay the fee prior to going through immigration. I don't think the immigration officer will care that you are going on a cruise. They will look for the receipt in your passport.

If you are referring to my use of the ATM, this was in the US prior to getting on the plane for SCL. All bank ATM's in Chile give out pesos as far as I know. It could be that some kind of automated currency exchange ATM exists but this would be the rare exception.

The ATM machine in the Santiago airport, as well as a few others in Chile, dispense EITHER pesos or dollars. And there are quite a few in Peru that dispense dollars or soles. You merely punch the correct button to get the correct currency.

Makes it easy for those traveling-especially SA residents LEAVING for the USA. No confusing language and SA residents KNOW their ATM card works to get foreign currency.

The ATM machine in the Santiago airport, as well as a few others in Chile, dispense EITHER pesos or dollars. And there are quite a few in Peru that dispense dollars or soles. You merely punch the correct button to get the correct currency.

Is it all the machines or just some of them? How are they marked? I certainly didn't notice this as an option from the ATM I used at SCL but nor was I really looking.

Makes it easy for those traveling-especially SA residents LEAVING for the USA. No confusing language and SA residents KNOW their ATM card works to get foreign currency.

How interesting. Thanks for the info. I plan to bring my $131 in cash anyway, but it just made me wonder.

Once you have paid your reciprocity fee into Chile at the airport they will give you a 2 part form in addition to attaching the white form in your passport.

The 2 part form is your entrance and exit papers out of Chile. The top copy will be taken by the folks as your luggage comes out of the x-ray machine prior to leaving the airport. The yellow copy will be taken at the pier when you check in.

Also, Chile does not like US 100 dollar bills. Seems that they have gotten too many counterfeit ones in the past. 2 50's a 20 a 10 and a single will work fine. Make sure they are clean bills.

Archived