Native Choice-Ivan and David

bgw

Does anyone know if they will be operating tours out of Costa Maya in January? We too saw Ivan in Cozumel in March 2008 and went to Tulum with him. Awesome tour as always. I have emailed the address I have for them regarding a tour in Costa Maya for January but have not head back. Is anyone else using them once the port is reopened?

Does anyone know if they will be operating tours out of Costa Maya in January? We too saw Ivan in Cozumel in March 2008 and went to Tulum with him. Awesome tour as always. I have emailed the address I have for them regarding a tour in Costa Maya for January but have not head back. Is anyone else using them once the port is reopened?

I have them booked for our cruise in March. I emailed him and received a response back in just a few hours but it did go to my SPAM folder.

I was able to get in touch with Ivan and we will be working on our tour of Costa Maya. Thank you all for your input and let's wish Costa Maya the best in their reconstruction. I know it won't be the same as before the hurricane, but it still will be a lovely port visit. The people are so very gracious and the beaches so lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please post the email for Ivan and David. We will be in Costa Maya in Jan.,'09, on the RCCL Voyager and would like to check out their tours.

My email is fhowell2 at yahoo dot com if that is easier.

Thanks very much

Rick

I'm confused. Do Ivan and David do tours in Costa Maya and Cozumel? I can find them through Native Tours? We're on the NCL Spirit on Nov 30. Last time we went to Costa Maya it was our last stop and after touring Chacchoben we spent an awesome couple of hours sipping beers on the beach at Majahual. This was pre-hurricane and all the little bars were right on the beach. This time it's our first stop and I don't think the beach bars are still there. :)

Thanks!

Pam

We've booked our Dec tour with Ivan already and made the deposit. They are getting upbeat as the reconstruction is almost complete and the cruise ships will return. You do not have to worry about getting ripped off. We are looking forward to our return visit as it was very enjoyable.

• 1 month later...
I have them booked for our cruise in March. I emailed him and received a response back in just a few hours but it did go to my SPAM folder.

I will also be doing the ruins cruise with David and Ivan. We will be there on Mar. 4, 2009 arriving on Independence of the Seas. What ship and date will you be there? Hope that you and yours are safe after Ike paid you a visit. I live in Florida so I have an aquaintance with hurricanes..

Are there any hills or stairs to climb on this tour? The Chachoban ruins tours offered by the cruiselines indicate there are, but when I e-mailed David and Ivan they indicated no uneven terrain and the equivalent of 7-8 blocks total. Since both go to the same site I am a bit confused. I do have some mobility issues so it is important for me to get a realistic picture of this excursion to decide whether to go with David and Ivan or not go at all and send hubby without me.

Thanks

Terrain is relatively flat, the only climb is a the final plaza which the shortcut is steap but you can go around the corner and take your time. Attached is a link to my pics of the ruins so you can see what you are up against. They take their time so you will not be rushed. http://wdowns9.smugmug.com/gallery/3825238_C2XNT#221120290_iRQkr

When you get off the bus there are small shopping stalls, bathrooms and snack bar. Then you start about a 5min walk to the first plaza, on the way you will learn about plants/trees, while at the first structure there are some benches and then another 10min walk into the woods to another structure which also has some benches. The next walk is about 15-20minutes with a stops to discuss the surroundings which you can sit on the stones to rest. The final plaza would be the hardest because to the steap steps on one side or the easier steps around the corner. Then you have the walk back. 8-9blocks translates to about 1 1/2time at the ruins. On our tour there were many people with different abilities so no one is pentalized. Only you know what you can or can not do. During the walk there are plenty of places to stop and rest and if you did not want to continue then you can wait for the group to return prior to departure.

I really appreciate all your info. I think I can probably handle going to all sites with the breaks, not sure I can keep up on the way back when they do all that walking back at once. I think I will keep my reservation and decide how I am feeling that morning. Hubby will go in any case and your photos have him more excited than before. He's not so big about cruising the Carribean but does it for me, but with the opportunity to seeeruins this time round he is psyched.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

My kids are really wanting to be able to climb the ruin stairs and see what it looks like from the top? Is this allowed here, or do you recommend another ruin site to do this? We will also be going to Belize and Cozumel.

Thanks so much for posting the links to your photos. It looks wonderful but possibly a bit more spread out than I can handle. Is the equivalent of 7 or 8 blocks a realistic estimate or is it more? Any places to sit along the way?

Every one of these sites has steps and rocks to sit on. Don't count on any benches. Be sure you take water.

My kids are really wanting to be able to climb the ruin stairs and see what it looks like from the top? Is this allowed here, or do you recommend another ruin site to do this? We will also be going to Belize and Cozumel.

Belize has Lamanai (which I would really recommend a ship tour because of the distance to travel and a boat ride upriver about 20 miles) and Altun Ha which is close to the harbor. Both allow climbing.

Rick

You can not climb any of the temples at Chacchoben, Lamani and Xuanantunich both in Belize are climbable as they are about 125ft heigh. Once at the top you can see for miles. Both excursions are recommend via the cruiseship due to length/distance. Chacchoben with David & Ivan will be memorable without the climb.

Thank you for the info. We are going to have to give this some thought. The kids wanted to climb the ruins, but they also seemed pretty excited about the excursion at Goff's Caye in Belize. Sounds like we will have to make some choices. I hear Lumanai is wonderful, but I think that Carnival was only offering excursions to Xuanantunich in Belize. And I have also heard my sister mention how much they thoroughly enjoyed Ivan and David on their tour in Costa Maya. Boy, it is so hard to choose.

Thank you for the info. We are going to have to give this some thought. The kids wanted to climb the ruins, but they also seemed pretty excited about the excursion at Goff's Caye in Belize. Sounds like we will have to make some choices. I hear Lumanai is wonderful, but I think that Carnival was only offering excursions to Xuanantunich in Belize. And I have also heard my sister mention how much they thoroughly enjoyed Ivan and David on their tour in Costa Maya. Boy, it is so hard to choose.

If your kids are set on climbing the ruins, try taking David & Ivan's tour to either Kohunlich or Dzibanche. Both are from Costa Maya and both ruins allow climbing of several ruins. The downside is that they are farther away than Chacchoben. You can find out more information from the Native Choice website.

Archived