MIA to FLL transportation, car rental and Miami hotel post-cruise?

acruisefan

We (3 of us) are flying into MIA, at 11:00pm and need transportation to the Ft. Lauderdale airport Courtyard. We will be at the Courtyard 2 nights. before our New Years cruise on the Crown.

Would it make sense to rent a car, have it for the day and then return it to FLL since we are so close to the airport and the hotel has a shuttle?

Or is it simpler to just use a taxi or shuttle service. I am worried about using the train that late at night.

Also, post cruise, we are staying an extra night in Miami, flying out the next morning. Would it make sense to rent a car at Port Everglades, drive to Miami and return it to MIA? Do we need a car in Miami?

We leave mid-morning the next day (Monday).

Any thoughts on a hotel in a nice, fun area, but not too expensive hotel for just one night? We have a 16 yr old with us. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What you have described is essentially our plan. Fly into MIA in the evening, rent a car for one day, stay nearby airport and then drop car next day at FLL to pick up shuttle on way to ship sailing out of Port Everglades. Essentially doing exactly the reverse at the end of the cruise.

Especially on the back side, this gives us the freedom of a car for the 24 hours we are back in south Florida. As a result, we did not get a hotel on the beach and will simply drive down there and park after leaving the ship.

What you have described is essentially our plan. Fly into MIA in the evening, rent a car for one day, stay nearby airport and then drop car next day at FLL to pick up shuttle on way to ship sailing out of Port Everglades. Essentially doing exactly the reverse at the end of the cruise.

Especially on the back side, this gives us the freedom of a car for the 24 hours we are back in south Florida. As a result, we did not get a hotel on the beach and will simply drive down there and park after leaving the ship.

Hey ACRUISEFAN! We're in the same boat - literally! Cruising on the Crown this New Years too. Drop by our roll call and say hi:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=596135&page=6

To your question, same situation here too. Flying into MIA day before at 7pm. Hotel is in FLL. I'm not sure what to do yet. I think we may just do one of the airport shuttle vans to our hotel (Sheraton FLL Airport) but also considering renting a car.

On the return trip, we fly out same day so will take the Princess shuttle to MIA.

Hope to see you on our roll call....Sharon

I am actually doing the oposite. I am flying into FLL at midnight the night before our cruise. I am getting a rental car from Dollar one way to Miami. Planning to drive to Miami airport area and spend the night. Will then return the car to the Miami airport. I have been told by others on this site that the rental car company will shuttle you to the port free. Plan to call to verify this. Is only $29 with tax/charges. Will be doing the same thing after the cruise back to FLL.

Archived