CoCo Cay Jellyfish

It depends a great deal on the wind, tides, and time of year. The man-o-wars are pretty easy to spot and stay away from.

The pink moon jellyfish are harder to spot, since they don't float on the surface, but their sting is not nearly as bad....it's like an ant bite.

The clear ones are harmless.

If there a concern about jellyfish, go online and order Safe Sea Suncreeen with Jellyfish Sting Protective Lotion. It has an SPF of 15 and helps protect against stings from jellyfish and sea lice. It's UVA, UVB, water resistant and dermatologist tested. It also has an amazing shelf life so you can keep it to use cruise after cruise.

If I remember right I got it on special - 2 4 oz bottles for about $10....

I read an article that said most sunscreens lose their effectiveness after 6-12 months. Does the Safe Sea keep protecting well against sun after a long time as well? That would be great for us since we have some and it will be about 18 months old for our next cruise and it would be nice to not have to throw it away and order more.

We were on Coco Cay Saturday and yes there were jelly fish along the shoreline to the right of the main beach. They were clear and hard to see so you really had to watch where you were stepping. Didn't see any as we were swimming or floating on our mats.

Hint: To avoid the crowds go to the right, we did not go on the main beach area where the snorkling is, got very croweded over there. We took an early tender over and had the whole beach to ourselves for more than an hour. Heaven!!!

I've had 2 extreme experiences on Coco Cay. My worst was when a jellyfish (tea saucer sized) slipped down my swimsuit, and I had my chest stung. (Note to self- don't scream and pull down bathing suit again!) Last year we went in Nov. and not a single jellyfish was seen. Go figure. Just go and have fun, if it happens , it happens.

Yes, we were there last Thursday and I initially saw a small one while snorkeling. I didn't expect it, so I swam quickly away from it. Later on that day while floating close to shore, I got stung. Went over to the first aid shack and they have the self serve bottles of vinegar there for the jellyfish stings. It was a minor irritation, and the vinegar seemed to help.

I didn't see any on the shore line in the sand and my kids were in the water all day and didn't get stung. This was after TS Fay went through.

Hope this helps.

I've had 2 extreme experiences on Coco Cay. My worst was when a jellyfish (tea saucer sized) slipped down my swimsuit, and I had my chest stung. (Note to self- don't scream and pull down bathing suit again!) Last year we went in Nov. and not a single jellyfish was seen. Go figure. Just go and have fun, if it happens , it happens.

LOL - thank you for this. I was reading this thread and getting very upset because we're going there in 3 weeks and was worried about the jelly fish (still kinda am), but this visual helped ease my stress. Thanks! And sorry! :)

Hi,

My husband and I were there the end of July and we were both stung too. We snorkeled for a really long time and it seemed they were mainly in the shallow waters. I just swam away from them really fast, but in the end we were both bit. I thought it was going to be painful but it was a burn/itch that went away within the hour. We didn't bother with the first aid because we couldn't drag ourselves out of the beautiful water!

Deborah

I almost scared my dog to death :eek: laughing so loud :D

I almost scared my dog to death :eek: laughing so loud :D

I know it still makes me laugh and is way up there as a funnier cruise memory. It wasn't to painful but it did sting my chest a few times (and I couldn't show anyone as it was an all girl cruise and hubby was at home. He says he's glad he missed that one!) Now when I see those gelatinous breast implants it makes me think of my jellyfish incident. Eek!

Last cruise no jellyfish (well one when we were way out by the ship wreck, but there was a big beautiful eagle ray I was trying to "catch". I get dumber, nature gets bigger. Darwin was right.............

Husband and I spent about two hours snorkeling on our trip to Coco Cay and there were TONS of the little clear jellyfish. :eek: Totally freaked me out at first, but once we realized they weren't stinging us (no way to avoid them -- swarms of hundreds would appear and you had to just swim though them) we calmed down a bit. Still was hard to get used to. They seemed to be more shallow...once we got deeper, we didn't see too many. Of course, we had to go shallow to get back in to shore...

Lynnette

Archived