1st time cruiser!!

LeslieRod

I am totally new at this cruise thing-a-ma-jig and need as much help and advise as possible. I am taking my husband and two children, ages 8 & 10, and need to know the ins and outs. I heard and have read that the Dunn's River Falls is a must go, but that's all I have heard. What other fun family activity can you recommend? Who can I get a hold of on shore excursions? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I guess I should mention where we are headed. Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.

Grand Caymen--We are going to Stingray City and Sea Grape or Royal Palm beach afterward. Will probably use Moby Dick tour.

In Ocho Rios we are going to Dunn's Fall and then Margaritaville. DH is a parrothead!

We were in Cozumel back in March. If you are looking for an all inclusive at a beach, Nachi Cocum is great. ( All inclusive there includes drinks, 3 course meal, loungers, pool, "hot" tub, swimup bar, nice beach, palapas) The service there was great too. Go to the Cozumel board for additional suggestions.

Have a great cruise.

Congrats on your first cruise :0

Jamaica - I would book with Phil Lafayette, and try to do the Dunns River falls. Phill will then give you a tour of the Island and drop you off at M'Ville (if you like) Jamaica is not the safest Island so be careful what you do on your own or who you book with. I have used Phil a few times and like him.

Grand Cayman - my favorite Island! You can either rent a car and explore the Island on your own, drive to Rum Point if you do. Rentals are pretty cheap 50-60.00 and very safe to do. All sorts of beaches are just off the side of the street so you can see the Island and the kids could swim in lots of different places. Or if you think you'll never have the opportunity again I would splurge and go to Stingray City, it will be pricey but a memory of a lifetime.

Cozumel - A fun Island but I would get a taxi (about 15.00) and head to Paradise Beach. It has a beautiful beach area, chairs, good food and if you buy a bracelet (10.00) the kids (and adults) can use all of the water toys and snorkel equipment and kayaks that you want. They also offer jet skis, and a snorkel tour but that is additional cost. The food and drink is priced reasonably and the Manager Tom is one of the nicest people I have ever met. We are heading back there in January and can not wait to see Tom again. You will not be disappointed if you spend the day there. On you way back you could have the driver drop you a bit past the ship and walk/shop your way back tot he ship :)

If you have any other questions, let me know.....haev a wonderful trip

You should definitely to Stingray City in GC. We just took our 9 year old grandson there and he loved it!

You can always book through the ship - sometimes that is less stressful for 1st time cruisers but it will cost you more - or - there are a lot of very good operators that offer this tour. Just read the reviews on this board and pick the one that you feel is best for your group.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on your first cruise... We're leaving in 13 days!

Looks like we're doing the same ports.

In Cozumel, we're renting a Jeep for the day.

In Grand Cayman, we're doing Sting Ray City through Soto Tours, but understand Captain Marvin and Nativeway all offer a less-crowded experience there for roughly 35 pp. With Soto, we reserved with a credit card and were never charged--you pay cash when you get picked up.

In Jamaica, we're going with Phil Lafayette, too. Tubing and Dunn's River Falls.

You can definitely save money by going with a non-cruise-sponsored excursion. Just check the boards for others' feedback and you'll have a great time!

Have fun,

Stingray City is a highlight for most cruisers but my friends 8 year old daughter was really nervous. The rays are pretty big and it was shortly after ther crocodile hunter died. She stayed on the boat and watched everyone else. Are your kids adventureous? If they are I'm sure they'll enjoy it. Seven mile beach is beautiful but there are also beaches you can walk to and enjoy snorkeling from the beach.

We did Dunn River Falls and it is a total trip. Acutally I used the stairs and my husband climbed the falls.

We've been to both Chakanaub and Paradise Beach in Cozumel and enjoyed them both. Paradise was a bit less expensive and less crowded too.

Welcome to cruising...it's very adicting!

Archived