Has Anyone Been to Sayulita, North of PV?

afcj1

For any of you who've been to PV on vacation...has anyone been to Sayulita? I'm reading that it might be a 45-60 min drive from PV. Since we're there until 10:00 PM, I was thinking about doing something away from the mainstream crowds. They'll be 2 other ships in with us. :eek: I imagine the only way to get there is by cab. What do you think?

Thanks a lot,

Annette

Yes, we go to Sayulita every year (usually once) while we are staying in PV (usually there 6 to 8 weeks). There is actually a public bus you can take that starts at the large bus stop located right across the street from the port in front of Walmart (its right off the main road). The bus only costs a few dollars (I think it was about $2.50 last year). The problem is knowing when to get off the bus (you than have to cross the street and walk down a road) since you really do not see the town very well from the main road. If you do take the bus, tell the driver you want to get off at Sayulita (they usually understand enough English) and also don't be shy in asking some of your fellow passengers for help. Sayulita has a nice sandy beach, quite a few cafes/restaurants and a few shops. I have no idea what a taxi would charge (you can try asking some of the yellow cabs after you exit the port....but avoid the white taxis) but I would expect they would ask for about $25 - $30 (I am talking US dollars) although this is just an educated guess.

Hank

Yes, we go to Sayulita every year (usually once) while we are staying in PV (usually there 6 to 8 weeks). There is actually a public bus you can take that starts at the large bus stop located right across the street from the port in front of Walmart (its right off the main road). The bus only costs a few dollars (I think it was about $2.50 last year). The problem is knowing when to get off the bus (you than have to cross the street and walk down a road) since you really do not see the town very well from the main road. If you do take the bus, tell the driver you want to get off at Sayulita (they usually understand enough English) and also don't be shy in asking some of your fellow passengers for help. Sayulita has a nice sandy beach, quite a few cafes/restaurants and a few shops. I have no idea what a taxi would charge (you can try asking some of the yellow cabs after you exit the port....but avoid the white taxis) but I would expect they would ask for about $25 - $30 (I am talking US dollars) although this is just an educated guess.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I was looking further and saw a picture of a Green/White bus...maybe that's the one? It sounds like a very nice and peaceful place.

Do you remember if there were loungers there yo use? Maybe @ the restaurants?

Thanks again.

Hank

Ditto to the above poster. Definitetly try not to take a cab as it will be expensive and getting a cab back is near impossible. The buses run quite frequently about every half coming and going. It will be an hours bus ride, as they make stops along the way. The bus will make a left turn into Sayulita (towards the ocean) and everyone will get off thats left on the bus as it's his turn around point to head back to PV. The buses that do this run are in very good condition so no need to worry about them breaking down. You should give yourself extra time coming back as the hwy can be slower due to transport trucks with full loads making the climb up and down the hills.

Attached is a pic of the beach

BIRDS_09.jpg.4eed31f025fa3ef5ef6a6b6697ea487f.jpg

Thanks Hank. I was looking further and saw a picture of a Green/White bus...maybe that's the one? It sounds like a very nice and peaceful place.

Do you remember if there were loungers there yo use? Maybe @ the restaurants?

Thanks again.

There are a lot of lounges and umbrella's for rent all along the beach. My suggestion is when you hit the ocean make a right and head towards the little river( the ocean should be on your left). Just as you see the river look to your right and y'll see a camp site, in front of the camp site are the newest lounges and large umbrella's I forget how much but it's reasonable. You will also be away from the busy area's and the surfer kids. You can order drinks there if you want, as for food you will see the busy places and just pick one. Just advise the guy that you rent from that your going for lunch and he'll keep an eye on your lounges, also leave towels on them.

There are a lot of lounges and umbrella's for rent all along the beach. My suggestion is when you hit the ocean make a right and head towards the little river( the ocean should be on your left). Just as you see the river look to your right and y'll see a camp site, in front of the camp site are the newest lounges and large umbrella's I forget how much but it's reasonable. You will also be away from the busy area's and the surfer kids. You can order drinks there if you want, as for food you will see the busy places and just pick one. Just advise the guy that you rent from that your going for lunch and he'll keep an eye on your lounges, also leave towels on them.

Wow, great info. Thank you both.

I do believe we've planned our day in PV:D It'll be my 17 yo son and I, so I hope he enjoys it. In Cabo and Mazatlan we'll be more with the crowds.

This will be more like mom's day.:p

Sounds like a great day :)

I would also advise taking the bus. A cap from Marival to PV cost us 220 pesos from Marival to Bucerias cost 110 pesos. I think a cab to Sayulita would be at least 600 pesos if not more.

We took a bus from Bucerias to Punta Minta and WOW what an amzing day, we rented a boat and saw Sayulita from the water, lovely and it is on my list of places to vist next year!!!

Wow, great info. Thank you both.

I do believe we've planned our day in PV:D It'll be my 17 yo son and I, so I hope he enjoys it. In Cabo and Mazatlan we'll be more with the crowds.

This will be more like mom's day.:p

It's a great small beach thats not overly busy through the week but it's also an opportune time for your son if he wants to try surfing. The waves are not overly big and the water is fairly shallow and they have surf instucters there

and they seem to be pretty good.

It's my fav spot, we always rent a car for 3 days and spend it out there. I love the drive.

One other not,e if you take the bus sit on the drivers side for ocean view along the way.

I don't disagree with the bus out there, but if you can find a taxi back, I would suggest that. 2 years ago we took a taxi from PV to Guayabitos (which is further than Sayulita) and then back a week later for $50 each way. I know it will be more now, but unless you are leaving with ample daylight to get back, it is a long trip by bus in the dark. We took the bus from Punta de Mita to PV 2 years ago in the dark...didn't enjoy it at all. And we generally like taking the bus.

I don't disagree with the bus out there, but if you can find a taxi back, I would suggest that. 2 years ago we took a taxi from PV to Guayabitos (which is further than Sayulita) and then back a week later for $50 each way. I know it will be more now, but unless you are leaving with ample daylight to get back, it is a long trip by bus in the dark. We took the bus from Punta de Mita to PV 2 years ago in the dark...didn't enjoy it at all. And we generally like taking the bus.

We're definitely not going to stay there that long. I figured maybe until 3:00, the latest. The ship leaves @ 10:00 PM and I'm game, but not that game:eek:. I just wanted to be out of the PV since they'll be either 2 or 3 other ships there with us.

Thank you all for your great responses and mega information.

We're definitely not going to stay there that long. I figured maybe until 3:00, the latest. The ship leaves @ 10:00 PM and I'm game, but not that game:eek:. I just wanted to be out of the PV since they'll be either 2 or 3 other ships there with us.

Thank you all for your great responses and mega information.

Be aware that at some point on the drive there is a time change of 1 hr back

So if you leave pv at 10:am it will be 9:00 am in Sayulita. In other words if your looking for something to eat at 12 noon it will be 11am in Say.

You should plan to be at the bus stop for 3;00 pm so leave the beach at 2:30 to 2;45 give yourself 15 min for the walk or more time if your going to hit the shops.

If you get the 3:00 pm bus (sayulita time) you will miss all the workers getting on the bus which means less stops on the way back.

The 3:00 pm bus will get you back to the marina/walmart area around 5:00

Be aware that at some point on the drive there is a time change of 1 hr back

So if you leave pv at 10:am it will be 9:00 am in Sayulita. In other words if your looking for something to eat at 12 noon it will be 11am in Say.

You should plan to be at the bus stop for 3;00 pm so leave the beach at 2:30 to 2;45 give yourself 15 min for the walk or more time if your going to hit the shops.

If you get the 3:00 pm bus (sayulita time) you will miss all the workers getting on the bus which means less stops on the way back.

The 3:00 pm bus will get you back to the marina/walmart area around 5:00

OMG! Thanks for that info. I don't plan on changing my watch, so I'm going to stay on ship time and will do a time check once I get there. You won't see me running down the pier:D

I should have mentioned that those buses (I do believe they are Green) are quite an experience. It is the real Mexico. Often, a band will also get on the bus and play music for your entertainment (they usually get off in a few stops) and of course they like to get some tips. There are also venders that will also come aboard (right before you leave the Walmart lot) to sell drinks and snacks. I also want to reiterate that you will never know where to get off the bus unless you get the driver or somebody to help (not a problem). If you miss the stop, the bus keeps going a long ways (I think some go all the way to Punta Mita). You might be able to get free loungers (and umbrellas) from some of the restaurants along the beach, as long as you give them some business. Otherwise, it is Mexico which means you can usually rent anything for a price.

Now you have me getting homesick for PV. Only 5 months and we are back for the winter :)

Hank

If you miss the stop, the bus keeps going a long ways (I think some go all the way to Punta Mita). You might be able to get free loungers (and umbrellas) from some of the restaurants along the beach, as long as you give them some business. Otherwise, it is Mexico which means you can usually rent anything for a price.

Now you have me getting homesick for PV. Only 5 months and we are back for the winter :)

Hank

The bus to Punta de Mita is a different bus than the one that goes past Sayulita, so make sure you get on the right bus...just stand in the doorway and ask, "Sayulita?"...the driver will say yes or no.

Last time we were in Sayulita, we just used the lounge chairs and umbrellas of the place we planned to each lunch at. Unless it has changed there, you don't have to rent.

We will probably not be able to do our planned cruise (Venice to Manaus, Brazil) this November. The only consolation is that we'll go to PV instead, which we were going to have to miss to do the cruise. We love PV.

The bus to Punta de Mita is a different bus than the one that goes past Sayulita, so make sure you get on the right bus...just stand in the doorway and ask, "Sayulita?"...the driver will say yes or no.

Last time we were in Sayulita, we just used the lounge chairs and umbrellas of the place we planned to each lunch at. Unless it has changed there, you don't have to rent.

We will probably not be able to do our planned cruise (Venice to Manaus, Brazil) this November. The only consolation is that we'll go to PV instead, which we were going to have to miss to do the cruise. We love PV.

I agree! You can pick a restuarant and do just that. I just like to be away from the action. The sayulita bus will have it written on the windshield as well.

Sayulita is your last stop and the driver will kick you off so it's a little difficult to miss. The entertainers that get on the bus from time to time can be kids or father son team.

This last post is not totally accurate. It is true that some of the buses go as far as Sayulita, but other buses just stop along the main road (Sayulita is off towards your left) and than continue on to other locations. When you get over to the bus stop (on the street side of the Walmart parking lot) there will some Mexicans hanging-out that will make sure you get on a bus to Sayulita as long as you tell them where you want to go. But, since you will probably not know for sure whether the route ends at Sayulita or continues on to other places (there is a small beach about 10 miles past Sayulita where we like to go on these buses) you do need to make sure the driver is aware of your destination (it also affects your fare).

Hank

This last post is not totally accurate. It is true that some of the buses go as far as Sayulita, but other buses just stop along the main road (Sayulita is off towards your left) and than continue on to other locations. When you get over to the bus stop (on the street side of the Walmart parking lot) there will some Mexicans hanging-out that will make sure you get on a bus to Sayulita as long as you tell them where you want to go. But, since you will probably not know for sure whether the route ends at Sayulita or continues on to other places (there is a small beach about 10 miles past Sayulita where we like to go on these buses) you do need to make sure the driver is aware of your destination (it also affects your fare).

Hank

Hank I think your talking about San Poncho better known as San Fransico. I don't know about the bus to there.

But the buses marked "Sayulita only goes are far as there and turn around, they do make stops along the way and also some turn off and go into Vera Cruz then back on the hwy to "S". The buses are green and white and the name of the company is Compostela bus line and the other line is Pacifico which runs less often but goes to Tepic and further destinations. Pacifico will stop on the hwy at the entrance to Sayulita and let you off proviidng you advise the driver but you'll will have to hitch a ride to the beach from there.

Hank I think your talking about San Poncho better known as San Fransico. I don't know about the bus to there.

But the buses marked "Sayulita only goes are far as there and turn around, they do make stops along the way and also some turn off and go into Vera Cruz then back on the hwy to "S". The buses are green and white and the name of the company is Compostela bus line and the other line is Pacifico which runs less often but goes to Tepic and further destinations. Pacifico will stop on the hwy at the entrance to Sayulita and let you off proviidng you advise the driver but you'll will have to hitch a ride to the beach from there.

Isn't the beach within walking distance...over a hill and down a ways? I'm reading this post to mean that I'd have to take a cab to the beach. HELP!

Isn't the beach within walking distance...over a hill and down a ways? I'm reading this post to mean that I'd have to take a cab to the beach. HELP!

The bus will make a left turn off the hwy (towards the ocean) and continue to drive down the road towards the little town of Sayulita. Once he makes the turn it's only about a 5 min ride to the town , once you get off the bus head towards the ocean, its maybe a 5 min walk to beach once you get off the bus. The same coming back to get the bus to come back to ship. NO NEED FOR A CAB

The drivers speak english so not to worry!

The bus will make a left turn off the hwy (towards the ocean) and continue to drive down the road towards the little town of Sayulita. Once he makes the turn it's only about a 5 min ride to the town , once you get off the bus head towards the ocean, its maybe a 5 min walk to beach once you get off the bus. The same coming back to get the bus to come back to ship. NO NEED FOR A CAB

The drivers speak english so not to worry!

Thanks again to all for everything. My son likes to show off his 5 years of Spanish, so I'm sure we'll be able to communicate enough to make our way. I'm so excited:)

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more question about getting to Sayulita. When we take the bus, do I need exact fare? I'll have pesos, so I'm good there, but since I probably won't have change, will the driver take too much and call it a day? If I need to stop @ WalMart for change I can, but would rather not.

Thanks again.

I have one more question about getting to Sayulita. When we take the bus, do I need exact fare? I'll have pesos, so I'm good there, but since I probably won't have change, will the driver take too much and call it a day? If I need to stop @ WalMart for change I can, but would rather not.

Thanks again.

The driver will make change but don't give him a 500 peso bill. Max a 200 bill which is approx 20 american.

I can't for the life of me remember what the fare was but I remember it's really reasonable, maybe someone will come by and answer how much.

How it works is that the driver may or may not collect as you board, you may just sit down and he will come around and collect once everyone is on board or one or two stops down the road (they usually like to wait to get the buss gets filled so he only has to do it once).

You will pay for only one way trip. No paying/buying return ticket.

so peso is the only money used?

no dollars?

hows the ride up there? nice things to see along the way??

I meet an american girl here in nor cal her name is sayulita she was born on the beach there........I must see this place for myself.

Archived