The Upsell Fairy found my husband....

cls711

.....and he took the offer before talking to me. We are leaving on the Pearl to Alaska next Sunday. I'm one of those obsessive compulsive planners. I need to think out all options and scenarios. I carefully pick out the exact cabin I want. He's more of a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of guy. We were in an Aft AE deck 8 Penthouse suite. I LOVE all cabins with Aft balconies and try book one no matter what ship or line we're cruising on. Well, the Upsell Fairy offered a forward AA Owner's Suite on deck 9, and the deal was great, so he jumped on it. He wanted to surprise me and not tell me till we got there, but I got the e-mail before he could intercept it. Now I'm in full obsession mode. We're traveling with my son (16) and step son (30) and they are in an oceanview on deck 8. We were all planning to hang out in our suite so I guess the xtra sq. footage and 1/2 bath will be great but I'm still mourning the loss of my aft balcony. I need someone with experience to tell me to stop obsessing, that I'll love the AA. Or tell me we made a mistake so I can just get over it and prepare myself. Either way I need to STOP! So I can get on with obsessing about packing!

Any thoughts:confused:

Maybe you can fix this. If you're the one who booked it, maybe you can get them to reverse the upsell and give you back your original aft balcony. After our aft balcony on a very windy cruise, I would never choose anything else. We were the only ones who could USE our balcony in the high winds.

If they'd called and spoken with a kid, or someone who'd not made the booking, they couldn't accept a decision made by that person, now, could they? Call NCL.

I would not worry about it. I am an obsessed vacation planner as well and just looked at the deck plans to compare the 2 rooms and the Owner's Suite looks as if it will have a much larger balcony than even the aft balcony. The aft balconies almost always show as larger on the deck plans than the side balconies even though they do not tell you in the description that it is larger. I think it was a good choice. You should google or search the forum for your exact room (as it looks to be a corner room-even better) to see what else you can find out.

:o Ok, thanks so much for all the answers. I've taken some time to Google etc. And I've taken a deep breath (and a glass or 2 of wine) & decided that since my husband sounded soooo excited to have scored this upsell for us that I could never undermine his decision and get it reversed. (if even possible) Sooooo I am going to consider it a blessing. I've had many aft balconies and will look at this as a new opportunity. And with 2 grown kids hanging with us, the bigger room will be nice.

Oh, and the deal worked out to be just under $1000 total for the 2 of us on top of the AE. (which was a good deal when we booked it as well)

:o Ok, thanks so much for all the answers. I've taken some time to Google etc. And I've taken a deep breath (and a glass or 2 of wine) & decided that since my husband sounded soooo excited to have scored this upsell for us that I could never undermine his decision and get it reversed. (if even possible) Sooooo I am going to consider it a blessing. I've had many aft balconies and will look at this as a new opportunity. And with 2 grown kids hanging with us, the bigger room will be nice.

Oh, and the deal worked out to be just under $1000 total for the 2 of us on top of the AE. (which was a good deal when we booked it as well)

Hi! We also got an upsell from our AE to AA 9004 (Owner's Suite) on the Pearl to Alaska on our May 25th cruise. We have a lot of pictures of the AA--take a look here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563745682WfHIDH

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have! The front balcony is fabulous for Glacier Bay viewing!:)

• Administrators

I would think for a destination like Alaska -- which is so much about viewing from the decks -- that front cabin with the wrap balcony would be unbeatable. I'd love to have that cabin for Alaska or the Panama Canal. I really think you are going to look back on this post and laugh once you see your cabin. :) Have a great trip!

Oops, I see Brunolvr and I had the same thoughts at the same time! Great minds and all that! :)

OMG Sandy! Great pics! Thanks for the links.

And thanks MichelleP for the reassuring thoughts. Now I can sleep well. That is until I start the "What'd I forget to pack?"

Sandy, were there binoculars in the room? And do you remember if free drycleaning is a Suite Perk on NCL? It is on Princess and RCCL in some levels of suites. Sure makes packing light easier to do!

Thanks again!

Cameron

OMG Sandy! Great pics! Thanks for the links.

And thanks MichelleP for the reassuring thoughts. Now I can sleep well. That is until I start the "What'd I forget to pack?"

Sandy, were there binoculars in the room? And do you remember if free drycleaning is a Suite Perk on NCL? It is on Princess and RCCL in some levels of suites. Sure makes packing light easier to do!

Thanks again!

Cameron

Which Owner's Suite are you in? Enjoy all the space--9004 was 543 square feet (AE is 287'). We had a few of our Cruise Critic friends come take a tour of our suite and one young couple said their inside cabin was about the size of our bathroom!

Yes, there was a pair of binoculars, but I had trouble using them -- couldn't quite focus good enough for my old eyes!:rolleyes:

No free drycleaning or laundry -- sorry! But there was a "pants presser" in the dressing room/closet. You do get 3 free bottles of liquor but since we don't drink, we brought ours home with us. Enjoy breakfast & lunch at Cagney's. Glacier Bay morning is a great time to have breakfast in your suite! We took advantage of the VIP seating for the shows -- that way we could show up right when the show started and be assured of getting a seat, even though they weren't the best seats in the theatre.

Is this your first cruise to Alaska? Enjoy!!! Have a wonderful cruise and I'll be eager to hear all about it when you return!

BON VOYAGE!!!

Wow. Think of all the extra perks with the AA. Also, I have read every inch of CC and the forward for Alaska is something special. The courtyard is amazing, and if it is too cold they close the top. That could be great. Sounds like a great deal. Pelase coe back after and share your thoughts with us.

Cameron,

what luck! Hope you enjoy it! Now...on to packing. We are on the same cruise. Have you checked the Roll Call? I also have two teenagers going (girls), and one pre-teen (boy). Hopefully, they will all meet up.

Have a great week, and relax...(that was also a mental note to myself).

Deanne

Thanks Donna I've calmed down and am now counting my blessings. (Oh and by the way, I'm a native Dallasite living in Boston but missing the "Big D" every day!)

Sandy, thanks for the info. We are in 9504 and I'll be sure to take notes and pics so I can hopefully be as helpful for a future cruiser as you have been for me.

Deanne, my 16 yr. old son will be happy to learn there will be some other teens onboard (and girls are always a plus!) . And if your son is into video games, I'm sure they will run into each other. I'll check out the roll call to find out about the Meet & Greet. See ya there!

Cameron

Cameron -

My dad (deceased) is from Boston. He has been in heaven celebrating all of his Boston sports teams' recent victories (the last few years). I have several relatives in the Boston area. I haven't been there in ages. It's sooooo hot here right now. Hopefully it's cooler up there!

Have a great cruise in that nice suite.

Donna

Archived