Has anyone tried one of those "slimming" swimsuits or Miraclesuits?

BethCarp

I really need a suit for my upcoming cruise since I just had my second baby and, well, my old suit just doesn't fit the same. I really could use a little help in certain areas and wondering if these suits are all they're chocked up to be. They're kind of expensive and I don't want to spend the extra money on a "gimmick". I'm looking specifically at Landsend and Eddie Bauer. Reputable companies I know, but it still seems too good to be true. Any thoughts?

"Miracle" suits are wonderful and have a great tummy control. However, they are a bit expensive.

Here is one that fits fantastic that I got from Lands End. It has great control and is very flattering, even on me. lol

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_40177_75605_54052_5:view=593,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_40177&sid=2924093218363120070

The photo doesn't show well but it is a great fit and has a kind of twisted top. I have ordered several Lands End Suits and also have Miracle. The Lands End (especially this one) fit great. I usually wear a 10 (sometimes 12 pant or capri) and I ordered this in a 12 - perfect fit.

I bought one at Dillards a couple of years ago. the problem for me was the thingwas so tight it was uncomfortable and though it did slim my gut-my big old ugly thighs were still there. (I need a suit that makes me look 40 pounds thinner-10 is not enough) I ended up buying one of those skirted suits that is actually two piece. I like that MUCH better and actually look pretty decent in it. I still occasionially wear the other suit but I bought one of those cover up skirt thingies. I keep that on even when I get in the water. I have also bought a one piece suit that still had the spandex inside but not as tight as the 10 pounds thinner one. It holds in my stomach some and is actually more flattering then the more expensive one. Not that I look good really in ANY suit at any price-not any more-I just settle for looking "decent" and the suit fitting and not being too little. After seeing the middle aged man with the king sized gut on the Disney Wonder in a suit too small- so you saw 6 inches of butt crack since it could not cover his stomach-made me realise how important it is to get a suit that FITS. I sure don't want to turn anyone's stomach.

From different manufacturers. 2 I bought from QVC or HSN (don't remember which) mostly because they showed the same suit on 2 different models -- one skinny and one about sz 18 -- and they BOTH looked good. The other I got at clearance from a local dept. store. I wish I remembered the manufacturers.

My big thing is getting a top that actually fits right. I look for some tummy control but make sure to get the ones that are sized like a bra. For me, there's nothing worse than a suit that has no support.

Yes, they're more expensive, but they are definitely worth it. Not only do they fit better, but they last longer. Better fabric, better construction.

I don't like the Miracle Suit because I have large thighs, so what happens is it's so tight around the buttocks that I get a worse bulge at the leg line. So, no Miracle Suit for me.

I do agree with the other poster about the Lands' End suits - that is the only place I order my swimsuits from - they fit great and I feel pretty good in them, in spite of the large thigh thing. I've found that a high cut leg lengthens the leg so my thighs don't appear as large. Lands End suits use a I, II, III system for the cut of the leg opening - so I always try to order a III to get the highest cut leg. And, as far as size goes, I usually order one size larger in any suit, even Lands End, cause I don't like to be tugging at the rear. Overall, if you use the size chart in a Lands End catalog or on line, you can't go wrong - IMHO.

Was going to order mine from Eddie Bauer this summer...backordered.

Dillards had same suit. Bit the bullet and bought it. Funny, went to half price before I wore it, so that was nice.(they adjusted the price)

I LOVE mine. I am a 12-14, 34DDD. It is a black one piece w/ deep V. Tummy issues after 3 kids. This holds it all in, gives me nice cleavage, yet support. PLUS, have lost 15 lbs. since I bought it and it still looks great.

I was worried about the tightness issue around rear/thighs. But those are my "thinner" areas, so it doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

With a bright red pareo around my waist, I actually feel sexy in this suit!

Order from Land's End--you can always return it!

Happy cruising...will be headed to the boat in 72 hours!!!

Kristin

Another vote for Lands End suits. I bought my first suit from them this year and love it. I had breast reduction surgery 2 years ago and it was so exciting to be able to order a suit that fits on top! I'm fluffy all over and the Slimsuits help control the jiggle--if you know what I mean.:eek:

I got a very nice one last year from Spiegel on the web from the clearance. It was a Carol Wior. Nice suit. It was regularly about $100. and I got it for 28. It fit really nice and I liked the extra support. It fit nice in the bust area also. That is important to me as I am a DDD. It did help hold me in.

I have one that is a similar type to the miracle suit. It's called Swim Wrap. And no it wasn't cheap, nor is it frumpy. :rolleyes: Mine is a classic style in a royal blue. The way it's made is like there is a suit inside a suit with the inner one being the one that does all the "work". It's tricky to get on because you have to roll it on. But it looks darned fine once you're done. :D

Beth

It's tricky to get on because you have to roll it on. But it looks darned fine once you're done. :D

The type of bathing suit I would hate... even regular one are no fun when you need to go to the restroom.

It looks just like the Miraclesuit Eddie Bauer/Dillards had that I bought...although above one looks like a halter, and mine is tank straps...oh, and much thinner model (like she needs Miraclesuit!)

Kristin

I have two miracle suits. I bought one at Dillard's and one at Cyberswim.com One is sporty and the other has cleavage and ties behind the neck, I find this one to be much, much more comfortable. IT WORKS! I've had 3 c-sections and I feel much better in it

It looks just like the Miraclesuit Eddie Bauer/Dillards had that I bought...although above one looks like a halter, and mine is tank straps...oh, and much thinner model (like she needs Miraclesuit!)

Kristin

really-- they might try even putting average sized women in a miraclesuit, so that the average-sized woman could identify...

OB says surgery is the only solution to that flab. Losing weight has helped the pooch, but still...looking for a tummy tuck for my 40th!!

It is tight, but not uncomfortable. I LIKE knowing everything is where it SHOULD be!! I have another suit w/ NO support anywhere, and while it is comfortable, I was SOOO uncomfortable wearing it publicly. I'll take snugness to assist my vanity anyday!

Kristin

48 hours to go!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63886&item=5333542675&rd=1

This seller on ebay is soooo awesome - I ve bought 4 suits now from her and they fit perfect!!! 1 of them was for my cousin last xmas and another perfect fit - she wore it in FL last month and LOVED it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63886&item=5333088012&rd=1

I own this one in black and it makes me look 10 lbs thinner atleast! The shelf bra in it is very good and the back is high so no fat rolls hanging out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63886&item=5327633651&rd=1

Heres one from ROmans but half the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63886&item=5330299010&rd=1

From different manufacturers. 2 I bought from QVC or HSN (don't remember which) mostly because they showed the same suit on 2 different models -- one skinny and one about sz 18 -- and they BOTH looked good. The other I got at clearance from a local dept. store. I wish I remembered the manufacturers.

My big thing is getting a top that actually fits right. I look for some tummy control but make sure to get the ones that are sized like a bra. For me, there's nothing worse than a suit that has no support.

Yes, they're more expensive, but they are definitely worth it. Not only do they fit better, but they last longer. Better fabric, better construction.

I agree about the real bra thing. But you can get those in $50 suits too. It does not have to be the $150-10 pounds thinner suit for a good bra. Those more expensive suits have the really tight spandex for holding your stomach in. But as I already said I bought a $50 suit with a great bra and it still had spandex in it for the stomach-it was just much more comfortable then the more expensive suit-plus the more expensive suit squeezed me so tight-it seemed to emphasised my thighs (maybe it squeezed the fat to there) so it was not becomming at all. I had to skirt it to look decent.

I always buy a size bigger then my dress size. I just look better in a bigger size to me. It is true that the more expensive suits last. I have had mine for 3 years. Plus that style of suit I still see in the stores for $150 or more. But maybe it has lasted because I rarely wear it.

• 5 years later...

Archived