Veendam Category H Cabin Question

Sirdar

Booked on Veendam with Discount TA. Was told that we had a Cat H cabin with the specific cabin to be assigned. I was later informed that we would get a cabin nearer bow that had portholes but was unobstructed.

Any Veendam experts out there who have an idea about this and whether this is a good or bad idea. Cruise isn't until January 09 so we have plenty of time to change.

I've only felt seasick once in my 14 cruises and that was on the Veendam. I had a porthole cabin very close to the front of the ship. We hit some rough water in the Gulf of Mexico and I thought it would be a good idea to stay in my cabin. Well, no, it wasn't. There was a lot of up and down motion being that far forward. We wound up going up to the Lido deck and sat on some chairs in the fresh air and watched the pool water slosh all over (well, until they realized that was a problem and drained it - somewhere I have great pics of the pool waves literally crashing over the dolphin statue at the pool) and felt better.

Mind you, the common thought is if you're feeling ill, go to a lower deck and in the center. I found that being in the center was more important than the height of the deck.

I've been in rough water before but I think something about being on a ship that small and me being that far forward is what made me sick. Having said that, overall I adored the Veendam. If I sailed her again I'd just have a cabin more on the center.

When you book a guarantee you will be assigned to a cabin in that category, or any higher category.

It's imperative that you examine the deck plans to be sure you would be happy in any and all of the possible assigned cabins. If you think you won't be happy, then you are free to either book a higher category or book a specific cabin of your choice.

I usually select my cabin, have rarely been upgraded out of it, and have been very satisfied with my choices.

We had FF712 on the Veendam, the first cabin after H710. When we ran into some 18-20 ft waves it was a very jarring and noisy ride as the bow slapped against the water. Even in calm water, the bow wake roared all night long. There were often very loud metallic banging noises during the night from the deck below.

I will never book a cabin that far forward and low again, let alone one with just a porthole. If you can possibly change I advise you to do so! :)

Archived