Is Belize Becoming a Dock Port instead of a Tender Port?

drdaddy

When I did a little searching for my upcoming cruise, Belize is showing to be a dock port, NOT a tender port. My E-Docs definitely show this. They do show Grand Cayman as a tender port. I called Carnival and I don't think they know themselves.

Does anyone have any inside info on this? I guess it only matters because I may do a Carnival excursion there BECAUSE the snorkel boats pick you up at the ship. It was more convenient than tendering in and then finding your independent operator. BUT, it there is no more tender, that changes things just a bit.

Wow, that would really surprise me if it was, just because the waters outside the port are very shallow (for a ship that size anyway!) and there are a lot of coral reefs.

It would be nice, though, because that is one very looong tender ride.

Still a tender port. A joint project between Carnival and the local port operator has been discussed for quite a few years. Not sure where they stand now, but as a previous poster said, it is so shallow that it poses lots of problems getting ships in any closer. This is how it looks as we zig zag away from Belize; really stirs up the bottom!

2864427640064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2845061170064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Went there in May on the Glory, and it is still a tender port. A good 5 minute trip to the docks.

5 minutes? I've read it's a little longer than that because they have to anchor farther out than most tender ports due to the shallow waters.

Talks of a partnership between Carnival and Belize for a cruise ship pier in Belize city date back to atleast 2000. They have been on-again-off-again and I have heard nothing about a new deal. A private group wanted to build its own cruise ship pier with a tourist village, hotel etc but this also seems to have fallen through and led to law suits. At this time I am unaware of any deal much less a ground breaking on a pier.

This is the latest info on Belize Cruise Terminal, from the info we got this march of 2005, it will be finish within 2 years. It was delayed because the people of belize wanted sole Construction rights to building the port in order to create new jobs. They have already started working on it after a new deal that Carnival would use the People of Belize for this contract and not outsiders.

New Link: http://www.amandala.com.bz/index.php?id=6078

Fred...The link is dead and the deal seems to be dead also.....atleast for now.

This one works:

http://belizecruiseterminal.com/

Phase 1

The Construction of the main causeway was completed in December 2007. During this phase of construction, The Belize Cruise Terminal Ltd. employed over 100 individuals including security guards, truck drivers, heavy equipment operators, etc and employed over 100 trucks transporting more than a million tons of materials to contruct over a quarter of a mile of causeway from which the cruise pier will be built.

Phase 2

The Belize Cruise Terminal Ltd. is positioned to continue during 2008 and 2009 construction of a cruise pier and the dredging of a larger turning basin to accommodate cruise vessels. The construction of a shore based cruise terminal will increase the percentage of passengers and crew that will come ashore to over 90%. The direct docking of cruise ships will also increase the time passengers will spend on shore. This will give them the opportunity to do multiple tours, while those who are not interested in tours will have more time to shop. With more passengers coming ashore and spending more time on shore, there will be many entrepenurial opportunities for small and medium sized businesses to join the toursim industry. These will range from restaurants, jewelry stores, arts and crafts centers, hair braiding, horse and carriage services, taxi operators and more.

The Belize Cruise Terminal Will Offer

The Belize Cruise Terminal Ltd continues construction during 2008 and 2009 and will employ even more people during this phase. By late 2009 to early 2010 the Belize Cruise Terminal will be open and is expected to facilitate an average of one million passengers annually within the next year, thereby contributing significantly to the economy and the growth of the cruise tourism industry.

What a shame. One of my favorite things about Belize (been there 3 times) is those little high speed tenders that take you back and forth....Starts the day off on a fun note and it ends the same way......

Well, look at it this way. The men who have the speed tenders that have taken us too and from the small pier can now get a real job on the big pier far $5.00 a day......:rolleyes:

5 minutes? I've read it's a little longer than that because they have to anchor farther out than most tender ports due to the shallow waters.

Tender ride is about 15-20 minutes

Thanks, I stand corrected. I just knew it took a while to get to port. Been there twice, but never really looked at the watch to gauge time to the pier. Anywho, it is a good ride, unless the water is choppy, which it was on 1 trip.

Still a tendered port. As the OP stated, there are talks about building a pier. It will be like the one in Progreso.

Dave

That's an impressive pier! We docked at it last year!

Here's their pier:

Progresopier1-x-1.jpg

WAY out there is our ship! See it?

Progresopier2-x-1.jpg

I think the pier is 5 miles long!!!!!!!

We were also there in May and the tender ride didn't seem anywhere close to 15-20 minutes!

I'll compromise and say 10-12! :D

Here's a shot of the Glory from the pier, where we were waiting for the rest of the folks who DIDN'T GET ON THE FIRST ROUND OF TENDERS to show up for our cave tubing with Major Tom.

2032611510102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

Doesn't look much farther away than the one docked in Progresso!

Still a tender port. A joint project between Carnival and the local port operator has been discussed for quite a few years. Not sure where they stand now, but as a previous poster said, it is so shallow that it poses lots of problems getting ships in any closer. This is how it looks as we zig zag away from Belize; really stirs up the bottom!

2864427640064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2845061170064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

\Nice pictures,awesome color of water.

TribeFan,

Is that really your ship at anchor at Belize? Holy Cow! I think I just decided to take the cruise line's excursion! They said they pick you up AT the ship. That is some haul and if it is rough, wow.

My 4/25/10 cruise has Belize docked. My ????....if it is a 5 mile long pier, do they have a shuttle:eek: There can't be enough of those little men in the bike wagon thing a majiggys to haul over 2000 passengers. Why even bother w/ a pier if it has to go all the way out to where they used to tender?

I would truly hate to see Belize's reefs be sacrificed for tourists' convenience. Snorkelling and diving are major draws for Belize; this could actually be detrimental to a large portion of their tourist trade.

In 2005 the tender ride was only about 10 minutes, IIRC. This is about the same amount of time it would take for a medium-speed cab ride, only the tender ride is free.

When I did a little searching for my upcoming cruise, Belize is showing to be a dock port, NOT a tender port. My E-Docs definitely show this. They do show Grand Cayman as a tender port. I called Carnival and I don't think they know themselves.

Does anyone have any inside info on this? I guess it only matters because I may do a Carnival excursion there BECAUSE the snorkel boats pick you up at the ship. It was more convenient than tendering in and then finding your independent operator. BUT, it there is no more tender, that changes things just a bit.

My docs for the Glory on 8/27 show as a "tender" port.

Archived