How can I find out who has permits for Anan?

TeeBuccs

Looking to do a bear viewing excurision when in either Ketchikan or Juneau. Will be there week of August 5, 2009. How can I determine what tour operators have permits for Anan Creek during this time frame so can contact them directly for pricing and reservation?

Thanks!

Looking to do a bear viewing excurision when in either Ketchikan or Juneau. Will be there week of August 5, 2009. How can I determine what tour operators have permits for Anan Creek during this time frame so can contact them directly for pricing and reservation?

Authorized operators are listed at http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/wrangell/anan_guides_transporters.shtml

They may have moved from Anan creek by then to Traitors cove. The salmon may have changed locations.

where does this information come from?

i've read it hear a couple of times and it just doesn't jive.

the sites have very close run timings.

the salmon don't change locations.

is the operator telling you this? have they in reality used up their permit allotment for anan?

at anan, the fs requires reservations and permits for operators and the public through august 25. restrictions due to bear activity extends until september 15. traitor's/margaret does not have these restrictions though commercial operators must be permitted.

Looking to do a bear viewing excurision when in either Ketchikan or Juneau. Thanks!

the premier site out of juneau is pack creek, brown bears rather than blacks/browns. another highly regulated site to maintain the quality of the experience.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/admiralty/packcreek/index.shtml

Thanks!

Here is the link to the Forestry service site. Click on the "date" on the calendar to see who has permits for that day. Do not click on "Request"...click on the number at the top of each calendar day.:

https://wwwnotes.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/r10_anan_reservations.nsf/Calendar?OpenForm

where does this information come from?

i've read it hear a couple of times and it just doesn't jive.

the sites have very close run timings.

the salmon don't change locations.

is the operator telling you this? have they in reality used up their permit allotment for anan?

at anan, the fs requires reservations and permits for operators and the public through august 25. restrictions due to bear activity extends until september 15. traitor's/margaret does not have these restrictions though commercial operators must be permitted.

Anan typically, over years I am aware of, usually slows down and is NOT as good after mid August, sometimes earlier. Yes they can still offer the tours and permits, doesn't mean there is peak viewing.

As for the salmon, the RUNS certainly do have different timeframes, specific to areas. They aren't "changing locations" for the same fish.

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

Here is the link that shows you specifically who has permits for which day in July and August of 2009. Click on the date (number in blue) in each box to see who has permits thusfar.

https://wwwnotes.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/r10_anan_reservations.nsf/Calendar?OpenForm

This didn't print as well as I thought but it gives you the availability from August 5-11, 2009:

5-6-7-8-9-10-11: Available: 24Available: 15Available: 12Available: 7Available: 7Available: 0Available: 0

You can also refer to the list of outfitters Yukon has listed if there is still availablity for the dates you will be there.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/wrangell/anan_guides_transporters.shtml

Archived