New west Coast itinerarys, please

Cozzette2

I live in Oregon and because of the cost and hassel of flying we always do a Mexican Riviera cruise and while they have both been great we would like some variety, please.

I wrote to Princess with my request and they actually responded with a very nice letter. It didn't say anything about new locations to cruise but maybe if enough of us west coasters write and bug them we could see a new itinerary.

How about central America, Costa Rica a few new Mexican Riviera cities, longer than 7 night cruises? Anything different please.

Who knows, if enough letters asking for a new place to cruise to arrive maybe they will consider our coast and give us a few new options:D

Kris

There's always Hawaii out of Los Angeles. And Alaska of course. If you are willing to get up to Vancouver, BC there are occasionally repositioning cruises to Hawaii/Tahiti or the Far East. In April 2009 there is a Los Angeles round-trip Panama Canal that goes to a lot of different Central American ports. (I've got my eye on it). There's also Los Angeles to Australia occasionally. Sometimes you have to dig to find them, but there is a little variety on the West Coast.;)

Go to princess.com and do a Search for Cruise and then hit coastals.

A variety is there.

Marilyn

I second that. Once a year around May they do a reposition from LA to Vancouver. It usually makes stops in Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Barbara. I'm booked on the one for May 2010.

In April 2009 there is a Los Angeles round-trip Panama Canal that goes to a lot of different Central American ports. (I've got my eye on it).

We are booked for this cruise. 19 days from and back to Los Angeles. No luggage limit, lol. ;)

I did a 10 day Mexico on HAL earlier this year mainly to get some new ports.

Stops included Topolobampo, Loreto and La Paz along with the usual PV, Mazatlan and Cabo. It was a nice change of pace but I'd much prefer it on a Princess ship.

oohh. a ten day out of San Fran sounds awesome.

I guess I should have qualified that in addition to different I would like inexpensive, do I ask too much?

I can't take any vacation time when the Alaska cruises go and I am kind of limited to Jan.=April and that does narrow it down quite a bit.

I would still like to see a round trip Panama Canal from the west coast that is a little less than the one for 18 days. Picky, picky:D

oohh. a ten day out of San Fran sounds awesome.

I guess I should have qualified that in addition to different I would like inexpensive, do I ask too much?

I can't take any vacation time when the Alaska cruises go and I am kind of limited to Jan.=April and that does narrow it down quite a bit.

I would still like to see a round trip Panama Canal from the west coast that is a little less than the one for 18 days. Picky, picky:D

i hear you, cozzette2, i agree with you. i've gone on coastal repositioning cruises and alaska. i'd also love more cruises out of vancouver or seattle, but where would i go? and my visa card and i can't do too many 18-dayers!:o

i'd love the panama canal. rt la. sounds wonderful.

is it too much to ask for it to go round trip victoria?!:rolleyes:

I agree. I'd love to see Seattle get some more itineraries aside from Alaska. My DREAM would be ships leaving out of Portland, since I'm in Salem and not far away at all!

I second that one! Even out of Astoria would wouldn't be too bad for me.

Well, lets keep bugging Princess for some new places to go. I wouldn't mind seeing Costa Rica or Hualtulco or Roatan [ I think those are all west coast countries. ] Personally, I would like anything new from 8-12 nights, but geeze, 18 nights while still working is just a few too many days, but someday:D

Kris

We are picky too. We are doing a 10 rt out of San Francisco to Mexico on the Star Princess in October. We did two on the Dawn Princess in 2005/2006 and one on the Sapphire Princess in 2004. My beef with Princess is they keep the "same" ship cruising out of San Francisco for a year to a year and a half. We need more variety relative to ship assignments in an given year. We would do more but do not want to go on the same ship in the same year. Love going out of a home port rt - so easy for us seniors especially. ;)

Well, lets keep bugging Princess for some new places to go. I wouldn't mind seeing Costa Rica or Hualtulco or Roatan [ I think those are all west coast countries. ] Personally, I would like anything new from 8-12 nights, but geeze, 18 nights while still working is just a few too many days, but someday:D

Kris

Huatulco is west coast Mexico, Roatan is one of the islands of Honduras and is in the w. Caribbean

One of the problems with departures from the west coast is the amount of time it takes to get anyplace except Mexico (I'm talking winter, as there of course is Alaska in the summer). From LA to Huatulco takes 3 days. Probably 4 or 5 days to Puntarenas, C.R. You just don't have all those islands in close proximity like in the Caribbean.

Another Oregon Duck here .. and we are doing the coastal on Sapphire in May just for a change of pace. You can actually do Vancouver to the Orient .. but it is a long expensive cruise. I would love to see cruises origninating in Astoria .. but you know they don't have the facilities. There is or was .. I haven't followed it lately a plan to turn Newport into a cruise terminal .. but I could never see how that would work getting people to Newport..

As others have mentioned .. Galveston is not a bad flight. Also we do have a leg up if we want to do Asia ..which we did couple years ago .. still a ridiculously long flight .. but we are closer then the East Coasters .. and same thing with South Pacific.

I would love to see some panama canal round trips from Seatte.

After our last flight to Europe and all of the changes to make flying "safer" my husband and I really aren't interested in flying anytime soon. Being from Oregon, I would LOVE departures from Portland/Astoria and I feel there would be a real market for this. What about a Seattle-Portland-SF-LA RT itinerary? I would book it in a heartbeat!

Nice to see so many Oregonians here. :) For those of you "up north" do you have any smoke issues? Here in Grants Pass we have thick smoke, like fog. Hope it clears up soon.

Maria

After two Mex. Riv.'s and several Baja cruises, I wouldn't mind a change too. We loved the RT Hawaiian cruise and hope fervently that the Federal Government (the Customs Border Protection agency) doesn't make this cruise an impossibility in the future.

Unfortunately for us, we can't do any repos as they are always in September and May. We can't go on any cruises that fall outside of the school schedule.

After our last flight to Europe and all of the changes to make flying "safer" my husband and I really aren't interested in flying anytime soon. Being from Oregon, I would LOVE departures from Portland/Astoria and I feel there would be a real market for this. What about a Seattle-Portland-SF-LA RT itinerary? I would book it in a heartbeat!

Nice to see so many Oregonians here. :) For those of you "up north" do you have any smoke issues? Here in Grants Pass we have thick smoke, like fog. Hope it clears up soon.

Maria

No smoke in Portland, just very hot! Talking about smoke, did you hear about the small plane that crashed into a vacation home in Gearhart on the northern coast? Such a tragedy; killed 3 little sleeping children when the home burst into flames. I have a small condo down there and the little town will never be the same. Worst thing that's ever happened down there. So sad. :(

I'll support having more cruises along and out of the West Coast. How about an 8 day from San Diego stopping in Monterey (or Santa Barbara), San Francisco, Seattle and Victoria? I'm thinking it could probably do that trip in 8 days. All but one of our 12 cruises have been West Coast/Hawaii cruises. We like the convenience of either driving or having a very short flight down the coast.

I just have to jump in here....Hi to all fellow Oregonians!!! I think one of the greatest cruises we ever went on was a HAL (Veendam)that picked us up at Terminal 4, right under the St. John's Bridge. It was a repo that left from Vancouver, BC and ended up in San Juan. Our first full panama canal transit. No, it wasn't Princess, but the opportunity to sail from Portland was one we just couldn't resist. Sailing down the Columbia River was awesome. Side note....we were off the Oregon coast (probably around Newport) and we lost all power. The Coast Guard came out and hung around (I woke up and just thought things were pretty quiet!!) until everything was in order. We slept through the whole thing, our kids told us over the internet...evidently it was a big deal on the news!!! Hello from LO!!!

I'll support having more cruises along and out of the West Coast. How about an 8 day from San Diego stopping in Monterey (or Santa Barbara), San Francisco, Seattle and Victoria? I'm thinking it could probably do that trip in 8 days. All but one of our 12 cruises have been West Coast/Hawaii cruises. We like the convenience of either driving or having a very short flight down the coast.

I always wondered why they don't do something like that. I mean, they got New England cruises. Why not one up and down the west coast of US and Canada? Just one or two ships if the market isn't huge. Then, in the summer, it's an easy thing to ship em up to the Alaska market.

Sorry to all the Mexicans and Mexican Riviera lovers, but being originally from SoCal, the Mexican Riviera cruises are kind of a bummer. Just seeing all that poverty and being hit up all the time to buy chicklets and bracelets and other assorted trinkets. I mean, it's better than the W. Carib, which has the same poverty but also mass humidity and hurricanes. Hitting those coastal Mexican cities isn't as culturally interesting as other parts of Central America (like Costa Rica or Panama) but I do understand they may be too far away to realistically cruise there.

Well, I can see that most west coasters are ready for something new.

Really, the whole flying thing is such a pain. When you drive, you don't worry about what you pack and their schedule and maybe missing flights. We can take our time and don't mind a drive [ but not to Fl.:D ]

I guess that one of the reasons for so few choices again is the time to get there and back.

I do think a cruise to the San Juans out of Portland or Seattle would be cool.

By the way, we are Medford and yes, lots of smoke:( It is keeping things a little cooler than normal though, so I guess that is good.

Thanks for all the great replys on this thread.

Kris

We live in northern Ca so when I found the Coastal cruise in Cruise Travel I looked it up on Princess web page. Vancoucer to LA. I booked for two reasons: its cheap and for the ports of call. Booked thru Costco there are $400 to $500 cheaper than Princess. Can't wait to sail under the Gold. Gate. With all the drama with the airlines changing your flight time and the cost of a ticket I too will be looking at more cruise from the west coast. I love Princess Cruise lines and but may have to go to another line to find cruises.

Archived