NYC which airport

Rubberchicken

Leaving on the NCL Jewel for Canada 10 days Oct. 18. Need some info on which airport is easiest to fly into and transportation to a hotel. Not even sure at this point where the pier is.

NCL cruises out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. It's between 48th and 52nd Streets by 12th Ave on the West Side of Manhattan.

JFK, EWR and LGA are about equidistant. Whatever your best deal on airfare would be best.

LGa is by far the closest at 7 miles. EWR is 14. and JFk is about 22...

LGA has the shortest runways and backs up badly when its bad weather. EWR is in NJ and is the most expensive by Cab(but not by much)...

I live in brooklyn and use what ever is cheapest but then I drieve and park at the airport with LGA being the most expensive parking....

Leaving on the NCL Jewel for Canada 10 days Oct. 18. Need some info on which airport is easiest to fly into and transportation to a hotel. Not even sure at this point where the pier is.

NCL sails out of the West Side Passenger Ship Terminal (or whatever it's called now), located at 50th Street (or thereabouts) and 12th Avenue/ West Side Highway (which if I'm not mistaken used to be called the Henry Hudson Parkway, or maybe still is?:confused:)

As Smeyer418 has pointed out, LGA is the closest airport, at least as the crow flies. However, as he also mentions, EWR has several advantages over LGA--including, possibly, a better choice of flight options, and, in my opinion, a wider choice of transportation options into midtown Manhattan: cab (to wherever you want to go); train (to New York Penn Station); express bus (to the Port Authority Terminal).

Mind you, bad weather can--and usually does--cause flight delays at EWR just as it does at LGA. But as long as you're flying in at least a day before your sailing, this shouldn't be a problem in regard to your making it to the ship on time.

In terms of flight delays New York City airports have about the worst record of any airports in the country. A recent report shows{

spacer.gifSummer travel: A flying fiasco

New York City-area airports were the most delayed among major hubs this summer, says DOT and FlightStats, while JetBlue was the most delayed among major carriers in July.

By Aaron Smith, CNNMoney.com staff writer

Last Updated: August 5, 2008: 1:51 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- This summer is shaping up to be a delay nightmare for flyers, especially travelers in and out of New York, according to two new reports.

Airports in the New York City area suffered the most arrival delays among the major hubs so far this summer, according both the flight-tracking service FlightStats and the Department of Transportation.

JetBlue Airways was the major carrier with the worst on-time performance in July, said FlightStats, while American Airlines was the worst performer in June, said the DOT.

The best airport for arrivals last month was Salt Lake City International, and Southwest Airlines (LUV, Fortune 500) was the top carrier, FlightStats said.

Among the 40 busiest airports in North America, John F. Kennedy International in New York City came in dead last, with only 54.79% of its flights arriving on time in July, according to FlightStats.

LaGuardia Airport, also in New York City, was the second worst in July, with 58.43% of its flights arriving on time. Newark International was close behind, with a 60.23% on-time arrival rate. This compared to an on-time average of 74.35% for the major airports.

Pasquale DiFulco, spokesman for The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which controls these three airports, blamed the nation's "outdated" air traffic control system.

"We need the federal government to update a 1950s-era air traffic control system," he said. Many air traffic controllers want the system updated to make use of satellite technology.

Miami International and Logan International Airport in Boston were also among the most-delayed airports in July, according to FlightStats, which is owned by Conducive Technology Corp., which provides information services for the transportation industry.

spacer.gif

I will avoid flying into/out of Newark in the future. Our ticket from Columbia SC was half the price compared to flying into LGA. Should have known better since I am in the private air charter business. When we were at the airport (EWR) on June 22, at 12:00 PM, Air Traffic Control started telling our airline (Continental) that 40 plus flights were going to be canceled that day. 4100 passengers were affected. Heavy traffic and weather moving in from the west. Our flight was not scheduled to depart until 5:00 PM and was canceled at 12:15 PM. Real nightmare getting home. Next flight to Columbia was in two days. Finally got a flight out to Atlanta, rented a car for $300 to get back to Columbia. (Yeah, the $300 was the difference we would have paid to fly into LGA)

La Guardia experienced some delay later in the day, but no cancellations. JFK also had some delays. The moral of my story is DON'T FLY IN/OUT OF EWR UNLESS YOU HAVE PLENTY OF EXTRA TIME TO SPARE. Sorry to yell so loud.:o

You didn't mention which hotel you chose. Some people want a hotel in Manhattan, even though it is more expensive, to do some sight-seeing. Others, don't care about that and just want a cheap hotel for the night. I usually would recommend to stay in Manhattan if you have never been there, you might as well. . .

If you are staying in Manhattan, LaGuardia is the closest with the least expensive taxi fare.

We'll be getting off the Jewel in time for you to get on. :) We're flying in to LaGuardia...mainly because that's where our airline is flying (Midwest). We didn't even consider other choices.

Great choice, I love Midwest with two by two seating, leather seats and those freshly baked chocolate chip cookies....oh those chocolate chip cookies.:)

ewr (Newark) is the easiest LGA is very hard to get to and lots of traffic. EWR has a train to NYC right from the airport. My husband used to be a limo driver and if you ask them ewr is much easier.

ewr (Newark) is the easiest LGA is very hard to get to and lots of traffic. EWR has a train to NYC right from the airport. My husband used to be a limo driver and if you ask them ewr is much easier.

Like which cruise line is best or who has the best food it depends. Getting from EWR to NY has just as much traffic most of the time anmd sometimes at the tunnels one heck of a lot more. Outside of rush hour its all the same with LGA being closest in miles and time---most of the time-. The train from EWR requires at least one change to get to NYC. The bus is simplier you get on and get off in NYC...where you take a cab to the cruise terminal(just like the train)....

Archived