Booking future cruise while on board a cruise?

darl

For the last couple of years since HAL started their new booking program we have booked quite a few future cruises while on the ship.

HAL even lets you put down $100 per person for a future cruise even though you aren't sure where you want to cruise to. That deposit is good for 4 years.

We have saved some money by booking cruises while cruising PLUS -- we get shipboard credit.

I have booked a cruise while onboard and then, once back on land, had that reservation switched to my TA; whom I know well and she knows me. I'm not sure you really get a bargain price doing it that way but you can get on board credit and put down a smaller deposit than you normally would have to.

Always a good thing, you will also receive on board credit added to your on board acct. on the cruise you book, depending on the length of the cruise is how much $$ you will receive. BUT< I found out the hard way that Celebrity will not give it back to you if you decide not to use. In other words use it or lose it!

Princess also lets you put down a $100 deposit on a future cruise while onboard. You can either book the specific cruise then or anytime in the next 4 years. In addition to the low deposit, you get an onboard credit of $25 to $150 depending on the length of the cruise and whether you book interior or outside cabin.

With Princess you can get the $100 back (I just cancelled 4 open futures, as I decided and I had too many, and got my $400 credited to my credit card). With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, it is a use it or lose it situation. I know Holland America has a program, but I do not know the details. When I was last on Carnival, a year and a half ago, they had no program for FCCs for onboard booking.

With Princess you can get the $100 back (I just cancelled 4 open futures, as I decided and I had too many, and got my $400 credited to my credit card). With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, it is a use it or lose it situation. I know Holland America has a program, but I do not know the details. When I was last on Carnival, a year and a half ago, they had no program for FCCs for onboard booking.

Not entirely correct. If you book a NextCruise on RCI or Celebrity and don't use it, yes you will lose the $100pp deposit. If you change the NextCruise into an active booking on a specific cruise and pay the full deposit required for the length of the sailing and then cancel, you will get your deposit back including the amount of the NextCruise.

Unlike Princess, NextCruise bookings on RCI/Celebrity have no expiration date.

Archived