NCL excursion - Rome On Your Own

bluesea777

Taking the train into Rome independently is VERY easy, quicker, and far cheaper than taking a bus in with NCL.

The train station in Civitavecchia is only a short 3-4 block walk from the fort where the shuttles drop all passengers off at. From there, a roundtrip BIRG ticket is 9euros, and it's good all day on the subways and buses in Rome, as well as to and from Rome on the Civitavecchia line.

When we did it last month, we got off at San Pietro station, walked a couple of blocks and were in the heart of Vatican City. From there we walked most of Ancient Rome (Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Forum, Colosseum, etc). If you don't want to walk, there are trains and buses you can take to get around instead, and again, your BIRG pass will cover your fares. If you don't want to get off at Vatican City, you can take the train all the way into the main Termini station.

I'd recommend you venture over to the Mediterranean boards, as there are tons of posts of doing Rome independently.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

The bus drops you off up the hill from the Colisseum. The ride in is dependant on traffic so hard to say what time arrival is. We had plenty of time to hit everything there was to see in Rome with our alloted time. we chose this and glad we did, because at the time many strikes were occuring and transportation services were sketchy. Yes it cost more than the train but I had no worries.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Karen,

Do you remember us - Steve and Lisa from the Norwegian Spirit cruise, the couple from Cocoa Beach. I haven't talked to you via email in a long time, but I wanted to touch base with you because I know you were going to go on the Hawaii cruise. How did you like it? What ship did you go on, and what time of year? Could you give me the details? I have looked through cruise critic, but haven't found the exact one of your posts yet. Sounds like you guys have been some cruising fools! We have gone on a few more too. NCL Jewel was last year, and it was great.

Did you look into any cruises from L.A.?

Our 15 year anniversary is this year, so my mom (remember she had cancer - she still does, but she is a fighter) wants to give us some assistance to go on a Hawaiian cruise because she thinks it's the last of our anniversaries that she will be alive. We told her that the cruise itself isn't so bad - it's the flights to California and Hawaii.

Anyway, whatever info you can pass along, we would sure appreciate.

Thanks so much. Hope you guys did okay through T.S. Fay. We did fine, just got a ton of water!

Lisa and Steve

Taking the train into Rome independently is VERY easy, quicker, and far cheaper than taking a bus in with NCL.

The train station in Civitavecchia is only a short 3-4 block walk from the fort where the shuttles drop all passengers off at. From there, a roundtrip BIRG ticket is 9euros, and it's good all day on the subways and buses in Rome, as well as to and from Rome on the Civitavecchia line.

When we did it last month, we got off at San Pietro station, walked a couple of blocks and were in the heart of Vatican City. From there we walked most of Ancient Rome (Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Forum, Colosseum, etc). If you don't want to walk, there are trains and buses you can take to get around instead, and again, your BIRG pass will cover your fares. If you don't want to get off at Vatican City, you can take the train all the way into the main Termini station.

I'd recommend you venture over to the Mediterranean boards, as there are tons of posts of doing Rome independently.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

VERY good advice if the OP decides not to use the NCL bus. Reasonable price and lots of fun.

Have a great time in Rome !!! :)

Public Transport strikes occur relatively frequently in Italy with reduced or sometimes suspended services. If you went the train route and this happens, you are up a gumpole. A taxi from Rome back to the port will cost at least 200 Euros. I tend to be a nervous traveller - one of those who always arrive at least an hour earlier than needed at the airport. I paid for the Rome on your own excursion purely so that I can relax in Rome and not have the day spoiled by the nagging worry of the return journey. I wish I was of a more carefree disposition, because I am sometimes a pain in the neck for others...........

Thank you all for your replies. We have decided to splurge on RomeInLimo. There are 3 of us and it's hard for us to decide which attractions to skip, so we're spending extra money to see all that we can muster in one day.

It's vacation!!

Archived